Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Feb 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Oh no how scary. Sending lots of pixie dust. Hope it was just a one off.
waiting4disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
borntoshop
Imagineer

Mobile

Our rescue boxer was just having pain relief ready for an op when he had his first seizure in April last year. Since then he's had two at home, his have been around 10 ish at night, he makes a funny noise, stretches his neck, wets, it's lasts a minute if that and then he's back to normal. We've got diazapan just in case we need it for him.
Nov/Dec 03-Orlando Villa/DLP Sept 04-Greece Nov/Dec 05-Orlando Villa 2007-New Hampshire ski-ing Orlando BWL & Villa 25 Dec 08 Florida New York 2010 New Hampshire 2011 New Hampshire 2012 Florida 2013 North Conway Christmas 2014
borntoshop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

We have a black lab (she’s almost 14 now and blind and mostly deaf).

When she was younger she used to have episodes where she would suddenly loose all mobility and collapse. Her eyes would roll back and she would flop to the floor usually sideways. Scared the living daylights out of me I can tell you first few times it happened.

We had her to the vets several times but they couldn’t find anything wrong. It always happened after a sudden exertion for example chasing after her ball, or tearing to the front door to bark at the post man.

It was diagnosed as lack of oxygen to the brain at times of over excitement and we were advised to not get her over excited 🤨 which was easier said than done with a lab who lived to play ball! 😂😂

Funnily enough just the other day I was out walking her and a chap started up a conversation with me about his sisters lab who he’d been looking after, and the lab having a funny turn when seeing a cat in the garden and going crazy barking. Same thing, the lab had keeled over for a few minutes then was right as rain after.

I think it’s a common problem in this breed although no one seems to know why. As I say my old girl is still going semi strong! 😂 she only sleeps mostly now bless x
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
One of our Weis had just one fit as a puppy no more in 14 years we had her
Hopefully it's a one of
Hugs to Boris
Really hoping its just a one off. Thank you!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Sorry to hear this, hopefully a one off but don't worry if he has more he can still live a good life!

We had a Dalmatian who started having fits when she was about 5. Diagnosed with epilepsy and vet started giving her medication after having several. Just be aware to keep them in a calm quiet are after, it is very scary. With the tablets the fits pretty much stopped, only returning a few months before she passed ( brain tumour). She lived to be 13 - a good age for a Dalmatian.

Apart from having to pay for medication each month it made no difference, she was fit, happy and active throughout.

Good luck and hope all is ok
Thank you! Vet did say if it was epilepsy then he would be on medication for the rest of his life. But really pleased to hear it didn't impact her life. Wow 13! That is a good age for a Dalmation. My grandfather always had Dalmations, lovely dogs

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lovemickey View Post
Sending Boris lots of pixie dust! Sounds scary, I hope you guys are all ok now.
Thank you! We are all ok now, the shock has worn off thank god

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Hi

Ours had one a couple of years ago, it was really scary as it was in the middle of the night and we thought her thrashing was someone breaking in the house! She was growling afterwards (normally she doesn’t bark or growl) and wouldn’t let us near her it was as if she couldn’t see us and was scared of us.

We took her to the vet the next day when she had recovered and the vet was really good, said it is quite common for them to have random seizures and said for us to keep an eye on her. He didn’t start any treatment. She’s never had another one since
How scary it happened at night. I sleep like the dead so probably wouldn't hear him! Yes that's exactly what he was like, couldn't see me even though his eyes were open.
That's good yours hasn't had one since, that's what we are hoping for too

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by holidaysaver75 View Post
One of our Retrievers started to have fits when he was feeding. The vet couldn’t find out why so thinks that he gets so excited in the seconds before he eats that his brain basically shorts. We now spoon feed him and he hasn’t fitted in 5 years. It is really scary when it happens, so lots of pixie dust to you all.
I'm very surprised it didn't happen when he feeds, he gulps it down so flipping quickly it surely cant be good for them!
Thank you!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
Oh no how scary. Sending lots of pixie dust. Hope it was just a one off.
Thank you! Yes really hoping it was too!

IG - alicialanesmith
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by borntoshop View Post
Our rescue boxer was just having pain relief ready for an op when he had his first seizure in April last year. Since then he's had two at home, his have been around 10 ish at night, he makes a funny noise, stretches his neck, wets, it's lasts a minute if that and then he's back to normal. We've got diazapan just in case we need it for him.
Yes we got given 2 shots of rectal Diazapan for just in case it happens again. Hopefully we wont need it though, fingers crossed!

IG - alicialanesmith