Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 3 Jun 17, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cupcakefairy
Imagineer

Swimming with Manatees

Has anyone done it I really want to as I love them haha x

cupcakefairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Yes we have although I didn't actually get in the water, I chose to stay in the boat was the water was freezing and I am not a strong swimmer but it was lovely seeing the manatees close up. We have also been down to Tampa Power station to see the manatees, there are hundreds of them that come into the waters around the power station during the winter months as it is warmer for them.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 02:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Picklepuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

I've done it but not in Florida, I did it in Mexico. It was ok, they are quite slimey feeling.
Picklepuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 17, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
scotpod
Apprentice Imagineer

scotpod's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Did this on my last trip. It was a whole day trip with florida dolphin tours. Picked up from hotel then buffet breakfast then off to crystal river.
We watched a video on the bus about the rules for swimming with them.
Into wetsuit (very glamorous not lol) but everyone laughed and they weren't too bad.
Out onto the boats and away we went. There was 6 on our boat. Into water and dive master made sure everyone was comfortable using mask and snorkel. We all had noodle floats to help. The water was a little chilly but OK. Within minutes they had found some. After this first encounter we all got back onto the boat and off to another area.
Again there was more including mother and calf. There was another solo traveller on the boat and as we are more mature and slower swimmers we tended to float more rather than swim with the other younger ones in the group. The dive master on the boat was keeping a close eye on us as the others were closer to the in-water dive master
Suddenly he shouted at the two of us and told us to "look down" which we did. To our surprise directly beneath us was a group of 6 swimming below us within 2 feet I must admit it did take me by surprise and I was a bit nervous but they just swam gracefully past having a look at us. A truly memorable experience.
I would recommend it. We were out on the water for about 1.5 hours which was long enough.
The rest of the day was good as well. It consisted of packed lunch after our swim and a visit to homassa state park then an airboat ride and back to the hotel. It cost (if I remember rightly) about $110 - 120. But for everything you got in the day I think it was well worth the money. The tour was called "Florida Adventure Tour". The fact I was looked after for the whole day and no driving for me was a bonus. Considering doing it again this Year!
Old 4 Jun 17, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

Mobile

Sounds great and Crystal River looks beautiful but am I likely to see any Manatees in August ?
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by inky1 View Post
Sounds great and Crystal River looks beautiful but am I likely to see any Manatees in August ?
We saw manatees in the waterways near Anna Maria in June however winter is the main season for seeing them at Crystal River.
The rivers are warmer than the sea in the winter.

However I have no idea where they go in the summer

Katie
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We did the same trip as Scopod, it was October 2005, just after hurricane Wilma had gone through, we had loads of manatee, mums and baby's, it was absolutely the highlight of our trip
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 17, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

There are a few manatees about during the summer but they normally do not arrive until the weather cools down. We were out December last year and as the water was still relatively warm there were definitely fewer about.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 17, 06:36 AM  
Link to this Post
carolineonecat
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I did it in July a few years ago at crystal springs but last year on holiday we had a manatee come over to us on the gulf coast - a fantastic experience
Crystal springs was a gorgeous day out and the people doing the trios know all the best spots to see them
Good luck