Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 18, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Motherofboys
Gone all Goofy

Booked Florida but NOT Disney?!

I was just wondering if anyone has been to Florida but not visited the Disney parks?
We will be travelling for the 1st time with 2 boys aged 12 and 9 and we were thinking of Universal, Kennedy Space Centre, Discovery Cove, Wild Florida, Busch Gardens, Clearwater and a few shows/general sightseeing etc.
Will we regret not going to Disney or dumping some others in favour of Disney?!
Advice would be much appreciated!
We are looking to travel in February/March time.
Motherofboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Galela1986
slightly serious Dibber

We did a last minute trip in April and only did universal as we were only there a week and though Disney would have been nice we didn’t feel we missed out.

Though if it’s your first ever trip you will probably want to do Disney as it really is amazing.

Edited at 12:42 PM.
Galela1986 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
JediMuM
Imagineer

hi we regularly just go for only universal .. its my boys fave park and with HHN its a must do.
This October we are doing 11 nights just universal again
Lisa x
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
GenoviaPrincess
Proud to wear my Ears

I think whether you will regret it or not depends on your reasons for not visiting Disney. If you're missing it because none of you have any interest in Disney then I doubt you would regret it.

Amsterdam, Austria, Belgium, Berlin, Bosnia, Budapest, Bulgaria, Copenhagen, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Finland, Geneva, Greece, Israel, Italy, Madeira, Madrid, Montenegro, New York, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Sweden, Tallinn, Tunisia, Turkey, Valencia plus more.
GenoviaPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Motherofboys View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has been to Florida but not visited the Disney parks?
We will be travelling for the 1st time with 2 boys aged 12 and 9 and we were thinking of Universal, Kennedy Space Centre, Discovery Cove, Wild Florida, Busch Gardens, Clearwater and a few shows/general sightseeing etc.
Will we regret not going to Disney or dumping some others in favour of Disney?!
Advice would be much appreciated!
We are looking to travel in February/March time.
We did exactly this last year (apart from DC)

We had a great time. Loved Clearwater and all the parks.

Only downside is the evenings imo. Disney parks are open later and have much better entertainment in the evenings than Universal.

KSC is $200 for a family of 4 so make sure you get your tickets in the UK before you go
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Scottish_Disney
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

Everyone will have an opinion, but this is your holiday and your choice. If what you’ve described is what you want, do it

Personally, I couldn’t go to Orlando without visiting Disney, but that’s just us and we could spend days in Magic Kingdom alone. Two of our visits have been a week long and all we did was Disney. Next time I’m excited to go to universal etc as well as Disney.

I think it really depends if your kids and yourselves are fussed by Disney or not. Obviously Universal has the bigger, more thrilling rollercoasters so if that’s what you’re looking for then great!

Enjoy whatever you choose
Scottish_Disney is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Chunky81
Excited about Disney

I doubt you will regret it as I’m sure you will catch the Florida bug and be back!

Once in a lifetime trip Oct 14 Terra Verde Villa
2nd Trip Oct 16 Terra Verde Villa
3rd Trip Easter 18 Dibb Villa Tuscan Hills
4th Trip Oct 19 POR+Terra Verde 5th Aug 19 Villa Need to plan again!
Chunky81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Feemac
Proud to wear my Ears

weve been twice before 2015 and 2016, my youngest daughter is only just way to turn 6 and we are heading back in October this year and are only doing universal parks, we made this as a family decision its going to be strange not doing Disney but been twice so taking a break from it this year but will deffo be doing it next time we go as im already having Disney withdrawls
Feemac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Its your holiday and you know what your family will be wanting to do.

With boys of 12 and 9, they may be like mine and have very little interest in Disney, never having been involved with Donald, Mickey and co. We have not bought into Disney on any of our last four Florida visits. We visited it in California at Easter and all it did was remind us why. Next year, we will not be buying Disney either. We simply cannot justify the outlay.

A Discovery Cove ticket (particularly an Ultimate with its free car parking) is an awesome ticket, whether you swim with Dolphins or not (we no longer do). BG, SW and AQ with DC 4 days

A Universal, particularly if you have a night in one of the 3 premier hotels in order to get two days of FOTL is another really good ticket with Volcano bay now on it. 3 Days

Kennedy is a great visit, particularly the first time as it is so well presented.. and have a Google at the Valiant air command museum, very nearby. It is very 'hands on'. 1 Day

Wild Florida, I have never visited, but I am told by friends, it is a good day out. If not, try Boggy Creek, Kissimmee. The 1 hour airboat ride, Alligator served in the restaurant and a really interesting, amusing Native American Indian camp. 1 Day

A visit to the Gulf coast is great also. We are a little more unusual in that we tend to visit Casperson, just south of Venice and close to Sharkys grill and Pier. It is really good for kids as it is quieter, unspoilt and if you take a Walmart sieve, you will find fossilised sharks teeth in the sand. 1 Day (or more).

That is 10 very full days, before you even consider revisits to theme parks, Old town Kissimmee, Shopping, Downtown Disney or whatever they call it now (free). Remember also that in the evenings, Universal parking is now free after 1800, so you have park revisits, fireworks and Citywalk.

IMHO, You will not regret it at all (whilst saving £1480 plus the daily parking).

Hope it helps!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:31 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Valentine
Imagineer

Mrs Valentine's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 21
You will be fine and very busy as well so no prob with the parks that you have chosen, especially with the age group going.
Last year we went for three weeks and didn't do Disney. We did get a Disney fix though by eating at a few hotels, walking along the river from HS to the Boardwalk, and playing on the Monorail, boats etc. Disney Springs was a good evening for dinner and shopping as well. Or from DS to Riverside for lunch or something.

DisneyJulie
Mrs Valentine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List