Notices

Old 26 May 15, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post

Yogi & Boo Boo visit Jellystone

25/5/15 -Well, there we were, all geared up to do a trip to Japan next year (2016) when something comes on the TV about Yellowstone National Park in the USA. Now, we had looked at the possibility of doing this in the past but it always got shelved.
Suddenly my hubby Darrin says: Let's do Yellowstone instead next year, eh? Quick as a flash I said YES!

Tokyo Disney is planning some alterations/ expansions at both of its parks so we decide it would be better to leave that for another year. We avoided WDW's Fantasyland Expansion for 5 years whilst it was a building site and when we did go last November all the work at Animal Kingdom and Downtown Disney (Disney Springs) especially did tend to spoil some of our enjoyment.

So by twenty to one last night we had booked our Yellowstone hotels for July 2016. We are not being premature, believe me. If you don't book your accommodation some 12 months plus in advance you can look forward to spending your nights in a tent with bears and wolves roaming nearby. When we came to look for rooms many were already sold out! And the prices! Average is around $450 a night. Yes $450 a night. So, from 5th to 8th July we will be at the Old Faithful Inn (West Wing -sounds very Be Our Guest!) and for 9th and 10th we are at the Lake Yellowstone Hotel (Cabin! Goodnight, John Boy!)

The two hotels are run on behalf of the National Park Service by Xanterra hotels who must be raking it in at those prices. To be fair, you are miles from anywhere and they do have to provide you with fresh water and toilet facilities plus food and stuff has to be shipped in.

Then, on the confirmation emails we are strongly advised to make our reservations now for dinner and you thought ADRs were bad at 180 days! We are 406 days away! Breakfast is apparently a first come, first served basis. Tables may not be moved so if you are a large party you may be sat apart. Thankfully, we are just two.

To get there it's going to be a flight from London to Denver and then an internal flight to Jackson Hole Airport. From there it's a drive to Teton Village (accommodation yet to be arranged) for our route up through the Teton National Park (strange place to celebrate July 4th) and on to Yellowstone itself. We are considering moving on to Portland after the National Park stays but to drive is over 800 miles so we may have to return to Jackson hole to fly there. We would then pop up to White Salmon to see our friend Lana and then finish off by visiting our friends Janine and Mark in Seattle flying back to the U.K. from there. The Portland / Seattle thing is quite tentative at this point. More research needs to be done. So, there we are - "Pic - a - nic baskets at the ready, Mr. Ranger, Sir!" as Yogi Bear would say.

Edited at 11:12 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 15, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Geoffa, This sounds awesome but Hells teeth the accomodation is not cheap! However not doubt its worth it for the spectular sights you will both see. So envious!
I'm sure I saw a documentary many moons ago about Yellowstone being in a Volcanic crater and they mapped it out (magma chamber) and it is enormous and if it ever goes will take the West Coast?
However it should be ok for you

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 15, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

You are clearly smarter than the average bear !

Sounds just... Yabba Dabba Doo

Disney 332
Old 26 May 15, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
You are clearly smarter than the average bear !

Sounds just... Yabba Dabba Doo

Disney 332
Oh! Ha!Ha!

I wish they'd bring Yogi back. I used to love him so much. Een the live action film they did was hilarious.

I can't wait to see bears in the wild. Apparently it's not uncommon for them to wander across the car parks at the hotels. An alarm alerts people so you can get indoors.
Old 26 May 15, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Geoffa, This sounds awesome but Hells teeth the accomodation is not cheap! However not doubt its worth it for the spectular sights you will both see. So envious!
I'm sure I saw a documentary many moons ago about Yellowstone being in a Volcanic crater and they mapped it out (magma chamber) and it is enormous and if it ever goes will take the West Coast?
However it should be ok for you
Yep! One big magma crater. It would just be our luck if it all went up whilst we are there. Must check if we are covered for that on the insurance!
Old 26 May 15, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
A few weeks ago when in Florida they were showing on TV a bunch of what looked like Saga Pensioners being pursued over a bridge in Yellowstone by a whole family of bears! Funny on first viewing but actually they were at fault as they got too close to them and there were young bears so the parents reacted as you would expect.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 15, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

I think the best sight of a bear is fishing.

If you get a chance to see that, it would be awesome.

The USA is such a land of contrasts, they pretty much have it all.

Disney 332

PS If you see any bears looking like Tom... leg it !
Old 26 May 15, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

You are just behind us! We have booked old faithful inn for 12-14 June,Lake hotel in a cabin for 17th June and Gardiner in between. We are flying to and from Salt Lake City then moving westwards to do Yosemite and Sonoma then flying back from San Francisco.Can't wait!

Edited at 03:51 PM.
Love*my*hols is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 15, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Forgot to add we are staying at Signal Mountain Lodge in the Tetons NP-£165 a night for a motel room-and thats cheap !
Old 26 May 15, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
suei
Excited about Disney

:)

Sounds a great trip you have planned, Geoffa. You too, Love*my*hols.
We're actually going to be staying at Old Faithful Inn this Sunday, followed by 2 nights at Canyon Lodge. We then have 2 nights at Luton's Teton Cabins just outside Grand Teton NP, & 2 more in Jackson before setting off to drive back to Denver (we fly to Denver on Thursday, then on to Boise on Friday) via Fossil Butte NM, Dinosaur NM & Rocky Mountains NP. After that we fly to Tampa for a few nights on the Gulf Coast to recover from all the driving, & for a bit of warmth & sunshine! I can't believe our trip's almost here now, & can't wait to go!
suei is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List