Old 10 Aug 08, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
3 Happy Campers have a Highland Fling - day one

DAY 1...AUGUST 2ND

We are up pretty early and do the usual things. Max is getting packed off to his granny’s so we do a bit of car shuffling as Billy wants to leave his car parked in our drive…we are travelling in Jakes car so that means Max and his mucky paws has to be transported round to the outlaws in MY car. So after a lot of tooing and froing everyone is happy, we manage to get the boot shut and Billy shoe horned into the back of the car with the fishing gear and off we go.
Now for the record, it had been a lovely morning until Jake was into 3rd gear and then the rain started L but we weren’t too concerned as we were heading towards blue skies. There was no real rush to get to Loch Tay, the confirmation thingy said we couldn’t get into our Tepee till 4pm so we stopped in Callander…….yes I know….a whole 40 minutes up the road! We park down by the river and watch some guys fishing, we are surprised to see a dog the spitting image of our Max except he only has 3 legs (Max is an all black long haired GSD …not that common!) we also have a browse around the shops. Since Billy has become a ‘mountain man’ ( 3 Munros bagged so far) we have been dragged into various ‘Outdoorsy’ type shops! To be honest there is little in Callander that we haven’t seen a thousand times so we find a wee out of the way café and get some rolls for our breakfast…. suitably fed we squeeze back into the car and continue heading North.
Because of the previously ... ahem…..inclement weather Billy wants to get some pics of the Falls of Dochart, so we make our 2nd pit stop in Killin and we try our best not to get knocked down by all the camper vans and caravans navigating the tiny bridge as we ( and loads of other ‘tourists’ ) try to take photos.

A quick nosey round the shops and we buy some milk for our first cup of tepee tea, ten minutes later we are at the Tepee.
Now considering it was me that found the aforementioned tepees, I was still slightly ‘surprised’ when I actually SAW it! There are various ones… some are just basic with bunks and a toilet, some have a double bed and a set of bunks and ours….which had 2 sets of bunks, a sofa, a wee TV, a shower room and a wee fully equipped kitchen ( 2 hot plates, kettle, toaster, microwave and full sized fridge ). The site also has lots of proper cabins, the very posh Loch Tay house and a Mongolian yurt!

Ok so it looks like a garden shed….but what a view!

We have our own bench set out the front and although the photos don’t do it justice we had a fantastic view. We unpack and head off down towards the loch for a look around. This is when we encounter what would turn out to be the only real problem with our accommodation . . . . its half way up a mountain and everything else is at the bottom! We pass by all the cabins ( which admittedly cost an awful lot more than £14 per night ) and head for the wee marina, there are some nice looking boats tied up we cast an admiring eye over them and their rich looking owners before we settle down for a wee drink from the Boathouse bar

We get some info on hiring a boat to do a spot of fishing the next day, check out the menu in the restaurant and book a table and then make the long hike back to the top!

Now I know I am by no means fit…..but it’s a killer! A decision is made to take the car back down later when we go for dinner….and no one objects!

Jake and Billy both opt for the Garlic mushrooms

I have the Thai fishcake

purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 08, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Then for main course,
Jake has meatballs

Billy has Prawn Linguini in chilli and garlic

And I ordered Pollo Pancake ( chicken in a pancake and baked in a cheese sauce ) what I actually got was Cannelloni with absolutely no sign of chicken or pancakes!

It wouldn’t have mattered what I ordered as I had to swap with Billy, he NEVER reads a menu properly and as he doesn’t eat ‘nippy’ then his linguini was unpalatable for him….I thought it was gorgeous though!

Desserts were ….eh…. Can’t remember but they were tasty….so tasty we were nearly finished them before I remembered to take any pics

I had 2 or 3 of those dinky wee bottles of wine, Jake had a Budweiser and a coke, Billy had a couple of Coronas and the bill was £75.20*
We headed back up to the tepee soon after the ‘entertainment’ started….an old guy in a tartan waistcoat….enough said!
I was on a bottom bunk as I’d never be able to get up the wee ladder, Jake was on the bunk above me for no other reason than Billy had bagsied the other bottom bunk 1st! And we settled in for our first night.**

* Prices quoted to give some kind of comparison to eating out in Florida
** why can’t men hold their water? Jake got up for a pee once and Billy got up twice!
purple myra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 08, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
voddygirl
Imagineer

Your tepee looks great for the money Myra
The food looks yum

Sept 1992 and 1996-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 1997-Econolodge Hawaiin West
April 2004-Travelodge Maingate East
Sept 2006-Quality Inn Plaza
Oct 2008-Southern Dunes-Dibb villa
Jan 2010-The Dolphin & HRH-My 40th & Sept 2nd trip
Dec 2012 The Retreat Legacy Park -Dibb villa
March 2017 HRH Chicago
Sep 2017 The Retreat Legacy Park-Dibb villa
March 2018 Avanti Resort & HRH Daytona
voddygirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 08, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

:)

Lovely pics

Jodie
Old 10 Aug 08, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
lovely photos
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 08, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post

I love going to Callander... it's one of my fav places to go when we ever get nice weather days here... your desserts look yummy...lol what's left of them... I bet the three of you had a right laugh tucked up in your bunks for the night
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 08, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
SnapperJohn
Imagineer

Great report and pictures Myra - The Falls of Dochart bring back some many memories from my childhood, everyone has had there picture taken there! In fact a good few years ago I did some pictures of Jim Kerr of Simple Minds underneath that bridge. They have a recording studio nor far away from Killin and during the afternoon when I was doing my pictures I suggested taking some down at the Falls and Jim was happy to oblige.

Your garden shed look great fun and for £14 per night its a bargain. However the prices in the restaurant do make you wince when you think what you would pay in Florida - shame we don't have a shot at their prices and weather for a couple of months a year eh!
2005 - Villa in Highlands Reserve.
2007 - Personal credit crunch!
2008 - Highlands Reserve - can you see a pattern here?
2009 - Been back to the Highlands - Reserve that is!
2010 - Opps something went wrong here...
2011 - Normal service resumed!

2012 - Our Silver Anniversary trip!
SnapperJohn is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 08, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
purple myra
Imagineer

purple myra's Reviews
Originally Posted by SnapperJohn View Post
Your garden shed look great fun and for £14 per night its a bargain. However the prices in the restaurant do make you wince when you think what you would pay in Florida - shame we don't have a shot at their prices and weather for a couple of months a year eh!
John, that was the reason for posting the prices, we were pretty much paying in £££ what we would normally pay in $$$ so effectively we were paying double for our meals, it did make a significant dent in our budget
Old 10 Aug 08, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
luxorsun71
Imagineer

I don't think I've ever seen so much water at the Falls of Dochart! A lovely part of the world round by Loch Tay etc.Food looks delish
Old 10 Aug 08, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
beautiful views, never been up that way good report shirley
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List