Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Apr 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

HELP! We have a whole flat to decorate!

Hi all!

My husband and I complete our flat purchase on Tuesday! We're SO excited but we're first time buyers and we've never done this before. We got an absolute bargain but a lot needs doing and my artistic vision is... non existent! I'm finding it very difficult to imagine how it could look. The lounge is my main worry. This is what we have to work with:

If you imagine where the person is standing taking the picture, they're in a little corridor (like a meter long sectioned off with a built in cupboard) which joins up to the kitchen/diner.

We preferably need the walls a colour that will work with both rooms.

What would you do with the rooms? Laminate flooring? Carpet? Different in each room? What colour walls/floors/sofa/curtains?

Please, someone inspire me!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

What floor are you on, if you are above ground floor are there any stipulations about laminate or wooden flooring. My friend bought a 1st floor flat and can only have vinyl type or carpet.
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

Paint the walls all the same colour either white of an off white, carpet the lounge and wood floor the dining room to match the kitchen cupboards. Bring the colour in with your curtains or cushions, pictures and your sofa. You can then live in the flat for a while and maybe change the colour in a couple of years or paint one wall. You can bring colour into your kitchen with your kettle, toaster etc.

Edited at 07:16 PM.
Floridag1rl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

So you have 2 reception rooms as it were, a kitchen/diner and a lounge.

First off do you have pets?

I would suggest either laminate, tiles, wooden flooring or Lino in your kitchen/diner, depending on budget.

We have Lino that looks like tiles in our kitchen, it’s not a kitchen diner as such, but a decent sized kitchen with a table in if that makes sense, we were on a budget when we moved in as our whole house was a wreck, and as such we needed cost effective, I have to say it’s been great and was so cheap. At some point we’ll probably upgrade to tiles, but in no rush to as the Lino is actually warm.

In our lounge we have very realistic oak laminate. We did have wooden floorboards but they weren’t in great nick and already painted with oil based paint so we were struggling to get any nice paint to cover them, so we went for laminate.

We were adamant no carpet because we had just got a puppy, but I think if we didn’t, i’d be tempted into a cosy carpet in the lounge, although I do love being able to sweep rather than getting the hoover out
Old 26 Apr 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dubletrub View Post
What floor are you on, if you are above ground floor are there any stipulations about laminate or wooden flooring. My friend bought a 1st floor flat and can only have vinyl type or carpet.
Ground floor

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
Paint the walls all the same colour either white of an off white, carpet the lounge and wood floor the dining room to match the kitchen cupboards. Bring the colour in with your curtains or cushions, pictures and your sofa. You can then live in the flat for a while and maybe change the colour in a couple of years or paint one wall. You can bring colour into your kitchen with your kettle, toaster etc.
I am leaning towards carpet in the lounge and wood in the dining area. We got kettle and toaster etc as wedding presents last year and it's all cream, we thought it would go with anything so would be safe. Maybe we'll have to have really colourful tea towels to add a bit of colour Thanks for your suggestions!
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

Tile effect Lino
Old 27 Apr 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
So you have 2 reception rooms as it were, a kitchen/diner and a lounge.

First off do you have pets?

I would suggest either laminate, tiles, wooden flooring or Lino in your kitchen/diner, depending on budget.

We have Lino that looks like tiles in our kitchen, it’s not a kitchen diner as such, but a decent sized kitchen with a table in if that makes sense, we were on a budget when we moved in as our whole house was a wreck, and as such we needed cost effective, I have to say it’s been great and was so cheap. At some point we’ll probably upgrade to tiles, but in no rush to as the Lino is actually warm.

In our lounge we have very realistic oak laminate. We did have wooden floorboards but they weren’t in great nick and already painted with oil based paint so we were struggling to get any nice paint to cover them, so we went for laminate.

We were adamant no carpet because we had just got a puppy, but I think if we didn’t, i’d be tempted into a cosy carpet in the lounge, although I do love being able to sweep rather than getting the hoover out
Your kitchen looks great! The kitchen is actually the only place without green carpet so we're hoping to leave that floor for now until we can redo the whole kitchen. I like the look of the lino though so taking note for future reference.

We only have a hamster but she would prefer carpet for running in her ball! Although the bedrooms will be carpeted anyway.

Ahh too many choices!

Thanks for your suggestions
Old 27 Apr 19, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

Look on Pinterest - search living room ideas and you’ll get plenty of inspiration- it looks like a nice big space - good luck x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsArcher2b
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I would have wood laminate flooring in the living room and dining area because it's easy to keep clean and no trouble if you want to change the rest of the decor. You can always get a nice rug for the living room to cosy it up a bit.

Light colours for the walls. Grey is really popular at the moment. Look at Mrs Hinch on instagram. Cream, white or pastel colours would go too.

Please show pics when you're finished x
MrsArcher2b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsArcher2b View Post
I would have wood laminate flooring in the living room and dining area because it's easy to keep clean and no trouble if you want to change the rest of the decor. You can always get a nice rug for the living room to cosy it up a bit.

Light colours for the walls. Grey is really popular at the moment. Look at Mrs Hinch on instagram. Cream, white or pastel colours would go too.

Please show pics when you're finished x
Not sure about grey because I can't picture it going nicely into the kitchen? I think I'm sold on laminate in the living and dining area and a rug in the lounge.

Will definitely share pics when we're done but it might be a long wait! We have these rooms to sort out too:

Planning to knock the wall through to have a larger bathroom.

Our bedroom

Our study

Wish us luck