Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 19, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
What has Brexit to do with USA?
Nothing, I didn't say it had..I said nobody knows what will happen post Brexit.

What happens if there is a legal challenge or maybe production difficulty that stops the UKPA from issuing passports for a while, just when OP wants one ?
Who is to say that a post brexit passport will be just as good as a pre brexit one.
I understand the risk of problems is small, but it's also totally avoidable.
Old 23 Jul 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Connorsmummy View Post
It’s a requirement of flying in europe to have 6 months left on your passport.

They now don’t add on the extra time left on existing passport due to the brexit discussions ongoing and changes with the EU.

The direct gov website says only needs to be valid for date of travel.
Not adding on the extra months has nothing to do with Brexit The UK had and an agreement where it could add on the extra months but that expired so all passports can now only be valid for a maximum of 10 years. Technically a UK citizen can not be denied entry to the UK if they don't have a passport let alone having one that has just expired. So as long as you could get the airline to allow you to travel home then you would be fine. Airlines only usually refuse travel to people with expired passports if they won't be let in at their destination so they won't be fined.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Nothing, I didn't say it had..I said nobody knows what will happen post Brexit.

What happens if there is a legal challenge or maybe production difficulty that stops the UKPA from issuing passports for a while, just when OP wants one ?
Who is to say that a post brexit passport will be just as good as a pre brexit one.
I understand the risk of problems is small, but it's also totally avoidable.
Aye Ok
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
theDIBB Guidebook is your friend:

Passport - Expiry Requirements

Whoever wrote those 'requirements' are firmly pressing their opinion on a personal choice issue. For US travel UK pp rules are clear, yet so many push an unnecessary fear factor re travel on a perfectly valid pp due to expiry within a few weeks of UK return. The additional 9 month validity is incorrect, that ceased c11 month ago. As Selina/BigHal say, official back-up is in place for delays beyond the travellers control, an expired pp isn't an automatic handcuff and frog march to the first available aircraft seat out of the US, plus, upon UK arrival, expired pp or not, a Brit citizen will be given entry.

I don't feel comfortable travelling with less than 6 months.
Whether people feel comfortable travelling within 6 months is their choice, this information just lays out the facts.
Common sense says don't leave it too fine in case your departure is delayed by illness or something like an ash cloud occurrence.
Remember you can get up to 9 months validity from your existing passport added onto your new one when you renew, so if you are planing on using it next year then there is no harm in renewing.

As before CM... still ain't broke, no need to fix unless you wish
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Whoever wrote those 'requirements' are firmly pressing their opinion on a personal choice issue. For US travel UK pp rules are clear, yet so many push an unnecessary fear factor re travel on a perfectly valid pp due to expiry within a few weeks of UK return. The additional 9 month validity is incorrect, that ceased c11 month ago. As Selina/BigHal say, official back-up is in place for delays beyond the travellers control, an expired pp isn't an automatic handcuff and frog march to the first available aircraft seat out of the US, plus, upon UK arrival, expired pp or not, a Brit citizen will be given entry.

I don't feel comfortable travelling with less than 6 months.
Whether people feel comfortable travelling within 6 months is their choice, this information just lays out the facts.
Common sense says don't leave it too fine in case your departure is delayed by illness or something like an ash cloud occurrence.
Remember you can get up to 9 months validity from your existing passport added onto your new one when you renew, so if you are planing on using it next year then there is no harm in renewing.

As before CM... still ain't broke, no need to fix unless you wish
ChrisS the DIBB Guidebook is intended for all of us to update it. As it's incorrect, then feel free to amend.

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by blusteryday View Post
ChrisS the DIBB Guidebook is intended for all of us to update it. As it's incorrect, then feel free to amend.
Thank you for that heads-up Rob As our interest is SW Fl (only in the Orlando area for driving from/to MCO) I tend to concentrate on travel related threads. I have zero knowledge about Disney/Parks and whilst unaware re updating the Guidebook I did ponder whether I should place the info/tips we know about SW Fl in said book.
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Thank you for that heads-up Rob As our interest is SW Fl (only in the Orlando area for driving from/to MCO) I tend to concentrate on travel related threads. I have zero knowledge about Disney/Parks and whilst unaware re updating the Guidebook I did ponder whether I should place the info/tips we know about SW Fl in said book.
Go for it! There's a great section called Beyond the Parks, I'm sure we'd all benefit from your input!

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Passport only needs to be valid for length of trip. Brexit will have no bearing on flights tothe USA.
Ok so this is technically true. However if we have brexitted by then and you are flying indirect (via a euro airport like Paris, Frankfurt, Dublin, Amsterdam) then it gets a little more confusing.

After brexit UK passports will only be valid for 10 years from the date of issue at a European Union port. Now for most people that isn't an issue, but for a small handful it could be.

For years the passport office used to allow you to apply to renew early and get up to 9 months of the validity of your old passport added to a new one (making a ten year passport up to a ten year 9 month one).

If you have a passport with the extra months on and the main 10 years has expired then you might get trouble using a Euro airport as technically they won't recognise those additional up to 9 months.

Again won't affect many, but it's worth noting
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 19, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
If something happens to delay your return home we have an agreement with the US and the passport will have time added to it.

Brexit has nothing to do with the USA

You haven’t needed 6 months on your passport for the USA for the last 10 years.
It's been much longer than that, but your point is still a valid one
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List