Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Ocean Florida
Unread 19 Jun 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
wobblywibbly
Excited about Disney

we are starting to home educate our children as well (son 6 daughter 1), my Son currently goes to a private school. we get the keys to our first house on Friday (been renting 12 years together). new house is a detached farmstead with loads of outbuildings and space and best of all no neighbours. my partner has been collecting and reading everything on the subject for a good year now... we are in the local FB groups for N Lincolnshire where we are moving to. we have a dedicated room for the home school. big decision esp as the school he is in is the best pre-prep and prep school in the country according to the TES. I think it will be rewarding for both my son and partner being able to learn through whatever interest them rather than rote learning.
wobblywibbly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Lilly's first trip
Unread 19 Jun 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
velbels
I want to go now!

Mobile

We home educate my 11 year old (and 2 year old!) We love it there are so many advantages including of course cheaper wdw visits 😁
velbels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 19, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
Excited about Disney

How great to meet other home edders on here 😁
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sneaky little secret Haven weekend
Unread 20 Jun 19, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
jemett
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I home educated my son from the age of 6 (hes 18 this year). However, he has severe learning difficulties and complex medical needs so a bit different to main stream home education. Saying that it was wonderful for both of us and Im so glad I have had all those years with him constantly by my side.

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Orlando & Anna Maria
Unread 20 Jun 19, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

How does this work exactly?

for example how can you teach a subject you are not for want of a better word trained in? ie/ i failed O level maths and already struggle to be any help to my Y9 daughter with her maths homework.. they have started GCSE coursework & its a massive woosh for me..

do you worry your children miss out on the social side of school which imo is a decent % of a childs education

not having a dig at anyone genuinely curious
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 19, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I came close , I really thought the same until l went to work as a classroom assistant in a high school and realised I could have taught everything except possibly Maths . Had I gone for it I'd have got a Maths tutor in for that one subject , either paying or bartering for tuition in exchange for me tutoring another subject.
Had I taken that job a year or two earlier I suspect we would have home schooled.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 20 Jun 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Purplefrog
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
How does this work exactly?

for example how can you teach a subject you are not for want of a better word trained in? ie/ i failed O level maths and already struggle to be any help to my Y9 daughter with her maths homework.. they have started GCSE coursework & its a massive woosh for me..

do you worry your children miss out on the social side of school which imo is a decent % of a childs education

not having a dig at anyone genuinely curious
My daughter has a tutor for Maths which is the one thing I struggle with myself.
For everything else, we use workbooks, the internet, library, workshops and lots of fieldwork.
As for the social side of things, she belongs to an Archaeology group, Guides, a carnival club, does drama and dance classes, tennis lessons, a comic club, Youth club, Games club, self defense classes and a bowling group.
Her social life is better than had she been at school because everyone she mixes with, she has a common interest with. At school, you are just randomly grouped, so there's less chance of finding someone you really hit it off with.x
Purplefrog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Sneaky little secret Haven weekend
Unread 20 Jun 19, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
velbels
I want to go now!

Mobile

I facilitate my son's learning I don't teach him everything, infact it means he's more self directed in his learning. I feel this will support him as an adult more than being told what to learn all the time. I steer him to things he needs to know and he chooses other subjects he wants to.
We use group lessons in person and online, one to one tutors, work books, online resources, books museums and workshops all sorts.
My son has great social skills we have found the home education community very inclusive and this has enabled him to develop friends with children of all ages, backgrounds and needs. He also does a range of clubs and groups at weekends and after school time that widens his social circle even further.
I'm not anti school we just feel that at the moment it's the best for our family.
velbels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote