Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Sep 18, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Mobile NY / PA / Washington DC / Niagara road trip - anyone

Anyone done anything similar?

Want to plan a road trip with visits to New York, Philadelphia, Washington DC and Niagara.

Any tips or advice?

Any other places to see in the area?

Thanks in advance.
Old 25 Sep 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Hello!

I've done pretty much this (albeit starting and ending in Canada).

There are Trip Reports in my sig:

Amazing Race - Toronto - Niagara (Canadian side), Scranton (PA), New York, Boston, Plattsburgh (NY), Ottawa, Toronto.

Amazing Race Series 2 - Montreal, Albany, Long Island (Montauk), Philadelphia, Washington DC, Niagara (US side), Blue Mountain, Toronto.

Tips: If starting in NYC don't get a car until you leave. Parking is VERY expensive and you won't need it. Philly I didn't like that much - one night was enough there for me (still worth going to though - some parts were great). Washington DC was amazing. The drive through Vermont and car ferry over Lake Champlain were lovely - might be a good route back from Niagara to NYC.

Any questions please ask!
Old 25 Sep 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We did a road trip around that area - Boston, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Philadelphia and Washington DC. We also stopped in a few random Holiday Inns to split up the longer journeys.

Top tip - make sure your sat nav has maps for Canada. Mine had North America maps and I presumed that included Canada but it didn’t, oops.

We had a few days in Boston and then picked up the hire car. Parking in the cities can be really expensive. On our last visit to Washington we stayed at Rosslyn and parking was free; it was $60 per night when we stayed more central for the road trip!
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 18, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
djy
Getting Excited

Just returned from that road trip yesterday. NYC Niagara, Toronto, Strasburg PA, Washington and back to NYC. I could send you a detailed copy of my plan if you would like it.
Old 26 Sep 18, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I would be tempted to fly into NY , see that and then catch the AMTRAC from there to either Boston (north) or DC (south). Seeing whichever city and only then picking up the car for an onwards driving experience.

My reasoning for this is that Ny is an utter nightmare to drive, both DC and Boston are very compact as well as walkable and carparking is likely to be expensive in either.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 18, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Hello!

I've done pretty much this (albeit starting and ending in Canada).

There are Trip Reports in my sig:

Amazing Race - Toronto - Niagara (Canadian side), Scranton (PA), New York, Boston, Plattsburgh (NY), Ottawa, Toronto.

Amazing Race Series 2 - Montreal, Albany, Long Island (Montauk), Philadelphia, Washington DC, Niagara (US side), Blue Mountain, Toronto.

Tips: If starting in NYC don't get a car until you leave. Parking is VERY expensive and you won't need it. Philly I didn't like that much - one night was enough there for me (still worth going to though - some parts were great). Washington DC was amazing. The drive through Vermont and car ferry over Lake Champlain were lovely - might be a good route back from Niagara to NYC.

Any questions please ask!
Thank you... will be off to read your trip reports soon.

Think I want to see Philly mainly for the Rocky steps. Will have to explore more into what is there
Old 26 Sep 18, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Beth_Disney View Post
We did a road trip around that area - Boston, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Philadelphia and Washington DC. We also stopped in a few random Holiday Inns to split up the longer journeys.

Top tip - make sure your sat nav has maps for Canada. Mine had North America maps and I presumed that included Canada but it didn’t, oops.

We had a few days in Boston and then picked up the hire car. Parking in the cities can be really expensive. On our last visit to Washington we stayed at Rosslyn and parking was free; it was $60 per night when we stayed more central for the road trip!
Was Toronto nice? Hopefully easy enough to navigate
Old 26 Sep 18, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by djy View Post
Just returned from that road trip yesterday. NYC Niagara, Toronto, Strasburg PA, Washington and back to NYC. I could send you a detailed copy of my plan if you would like it.
Yes please... thank you.
Old 26 Sep 18, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
djy
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
Yes please... thank you.
Sent you a pm
Old 27 Sep 18, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
floridafan101
Very Serious Dibber

floridafan101's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Yes this was our trip last year and it was fab one of my favourites ever I think. See Trip report link in signature. Good luck and happy planning.

2006 1st trip to Florida 2008 The return 2009 Its Florida again 2010 Florida again! 2011 Yes! Florida 2013 Florida please! 2015 Back to Florida 2016 California! 2017 New York (and beyond) 2018 East Coast Road Trip 2019 Florida one last time ... again!
floridafan101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List