Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Aug 12, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jim1 View Post
I like the scare mongering tactics on this thread, in my opinion yes, you are right to warn them but it's coming across as a holier than thou.

So what if they want to bring back an extra pair of trainers, they sound like people going to treat their families on holiday not bring back 10 iPads, 10 macbooks, jewellery etc to sell on to line their own pockets.
100% agree with you. And for those that said they have no welfare out there,I'm actually listening to Fox news now that are debating the welfare system. Yes maybe not get as much as here but they do get some. We do pay for our NHS , that's why we pay high taxes. Yes we are lucky to have the NHS but there are not many Americans that want our NHS.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
annieh
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Seriously you dont need to take proof of where you brought things .

We take loads of gadgets , iPods , iPhones , 3 cameras, camcorder , kindles , psp etc I'm not taking photos of all that lot. I know where it was all bought from and it all has serial numbers , it would be easy enough for customs (on the slim chance I was stopped !) to check out I'm telling the truth .
I agree, to be honest, I think customs have bigger fish to fry - than checking where your ipod/camera was brought, there's a reasonable expectation that people will take cameras etc with them. They are probably as understaffed as every other government department at the moment, so I would suspect they will target their resources accordingly.

More about what shouldn't be there, rather than what should.

Edited at 01:11 PM.
annieh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mainecoon lover View Post
100% agree with you. And for those that said they have no welfare out there,I'm actually listening to Fox news now that are debating the welfare system. Yes maybe not get as much as here but they do get some. We do pay for our NHS , that's why we pay high taxes. Yes we are lucky to have the NHS but there are not many Americans that want our NHS.
Yep they do get some,the difference between them and us is they don't support the long term dole dossers who have zero interest in finding a job..maybe we should follow suit !

And i agree about the NHS.. people say its free... no its heavily subsidised, there is a difference.. Working people pay a fair what in taxes/NI to help fund it.. its only free to those that never ever pay into the system of which there are plenty.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Originally Posted by annieh View Post
I agree, to be honest, I think customs have bigger fish to fry - than checking where your ipod/camera was brought, there's a reasonable expectation that people will take cameras etc with them. They are probably as understaffed as every other government department at the moment, so I would suspect they will target their resources accordingly.

More about what shouldn't be there, rather than what should.

Exactly,what person going on holiday doesn't take at least a very basic camera with them?

And given its a long haul flights, i'm fairly certain Customs Officers have the intelligence to realise that people will be taking ipods/netbooks/ipads etc to entertain themselves.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Folks you do what you want, the majority of you are adults.

However it is NOT scaremongering to point out what is the LEGAL limit and have an expectation that people would choose to keep within the law not break it.

It never ceases to amaze me that people are happy to either condone, admit to or encourage smuggling ('cause that is what it is)

Posters get quite uppity when those who choose to do NOTHING WRONG post what is right and what is wrong, if it comes across as holier than thou then so be it - why should that be seen as a bad thing?

You want to break the law, go ahead but I don't like to read about it on a holiday web site.

You can try to justify it all you like but there is no justification!

Edited at 01:33 PM.
Heather1957 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Jim1
Proud to wear my Ears

Don't read it then Heather if you don't like it, smuggling... get a grip, seriously?! Over some extra holiday items? It's not exactly like kilo of cocaine hidden in their suitcases. I seriously doubt any of the posters in this thread are going to 'cheat' the system (buying in bulk and profit out of it).

Folk who go to purchase endless amounts of iPads etc who then look to line their own pocket, yes they are the folk who should get hammered, but for folk who go on holidays like this and spend a bit more money to treat themselves then I don't see anything wrong with something like that. In my opinion of course.
Jim1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Do i care if someone spends £50 more than the limit no not at all.. why should i, there's enough people scamming money off this country everyday and nothings done so why shouldn't someone who works hard and pays their taxes not be able to treat themselves on holiday?
Old 28 Aug 12, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
paulap
Imagineer

As Heather has pointed out you are adults so you can make your own choices.

However, some of the posts on this thread are not just scare-mongering, they are fact. In my previous job, I had lots of dealings with HMRC and have spent time at LGW and LHR. They are there and they are watching you. The major hauls are 'normally' the result of months and months of planning and the HMRC officials at the airports are not usually involved in them. They are looking for the opportunists whether it be a drug import or somebody trying to cheat the system.

This forum is here to provide advice and I really do think that some people are unaware of the consequences of getting caught. You may be lucky and just end up having to pay the duty, but you could end up with a large fine and a criminal record and in some cases you can lose your job.

I know I sound like a right do-gooder but they are facts and certainly not scare-mongering.

Edited at 02:10 PM.
paulap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jim1
Proud to wear my Ears

I understand that paula and it is definitely a good thing to warn posters, but come on... really? if I spend 1p over £390 then I'll be going to declare? Need to remember and take my calculator to add up everything I've bought then convert from USD into GBP, no thanks

I think I'll enjoy my holiday stress free and buy what I like, thanks for the heads up but I'm not there to cheat anyone or look to profit out of going a holiday, I'm going over to buy some clothes and treat myself

Not with iPad's and TV's I may add
Jim1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 12, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
nickimiz
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Yep they do get some,the difference between them and us is they don't support the long term dole dossers who have zero interest in finding a job..maybe we should follow suit !

And i agree about the NHS.. people say its free... no its heavily subsidised, there is a difference.. Working people pay a fair what in taxes/NI to help fund it.. its only free to those that never ever pay into the system of which there are plenty.

exactly ! I think if we were to adopt the same attitude as a lot of other countries in respect of people coming into the country, then the UK would be a much better place to live !