Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Nov 18, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

New York Family Restaurants

My wife and I along with our 4 daughters (11,10,7 and 5) are going to NY for a week before Xmas.

Any recommendations on food places. Not concerned on costs, but would rather have an enjoyable experience as opposed to a "tourist trap".
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
kellyreathomps
Trying for More Ears

If you'll be visiting American Girl, it does an amazing breakfast at $20 per head, we went in May with our 9 year old and it was a real surprise, you do have to book though. We also really enjoyed Ellen's Stardust diner for breakfast - the place isn't the cleanest or best food but for overall experience was great.
kellyreathomps is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
markpwa8
Very Serious Dibber

We hadn't planned on American Girl, but will take a look now.

Ellen's is on my list. I have heard its not the best dining wise, but atmosphere is amazing, so will give it a go.
markpwa8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

Heartland brewery under The Empire state building is fab as is John's pizza.
Old 3 Nov 18, 02:35 AM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

The children,may like a dessert,at Dylan’s candy store.i know my great niece,loved the novelty factor,whe we went last year.
Tracy x
Old 3 Nov 18, 05:11 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Some of the restaurants under Grand Central Station are good for atmosphere.
We enjoyed Ellen's Stadust Diner as well , like others say food wasn't amazing but was ok and loved the atmosphere.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

This might not be very helpful but when I went with my mum & sister a few years ago - we started with a mcDonald's breakfast - in Times Square each morning, cheap & cheerful to start the day & dare I say it...very tasty too !
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Beddy666
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

For a nice steak restaurant away from the hustle and bustle get to knickerbocker bar and grill it’s right near university place, and union square.
Just love the place
Beddy666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post

To be honest there are so many food options I am not sure individual restaurant options are helpful as it's not worth travelling from one side of Manhattan to another just to go to a restaurant when there probably is one just as good next door.

I would say don't ignore the food trucks for lunch. Look where is popular. Workers / regulars vote with their feet !

If looking for somewhere between Battery Park and 911 museum then George's diner is good.

If seeking pizza in Brooklyn personally I ignore the busy pizzerias at the bottom of the bridge. Walk under the bridge and round through Dumbo to Front Street Pizza. Not fancy and much less touristy than the two at the bridge. Plus if you come out the door turn left up hill and the bridge goes across above you. On the right hand side of the overpass are the back steps upto the Brooklyn bridge walkway back to Manhattan.

There are loads of Panera breads about. All do great breakfast.

Have a great trip.

Edited at 08:03 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

We had a great breakfast at Tick Tock Diner. S'mores French Toast was amazing! Junior's was good too but quite pricey. Also if you're in the area you must have a burger at the original Shake Shack in Madison Square Park

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List