Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Jul 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile Kefalonia- where shall I stay what should I do ?

So have rearranged my easyJet flights for what seems like the three thousandth time and have changed from crete to kefalonia for end of next August. We will be getting a villa ( definitely getting appropriate travel insurance this time ) but have no clue what is best area to stay in or does it matter if island is fairly small . We will be hiring a car . Are there any must do things ? I visited on a day trip 32 years ago and vowed I would go back! Let’s hope I do !
Old 18 Jul 21, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went in 2019 and stayed in Skala, lots of stones beaches so you need your beach shoes. Lovely beach called mounda beach I think which is Sandy and the fish nip your feet!
Went to a lovely beach at Lassi, walked around Agostoligi for the day and went to the shops. We did a boat trip to Fiskardo and got a little boat round the caves (they were rubbish), had ice creams at Sami (Captain Corelli mandolin film). Food and people and scenery all lovely enjoy x
Old 18 Jul 21, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post

I love Kefalonia. I would start your villa hunt quite soon (if you mean this year !)

I always use Pefanis for car hire, excellent prices and collection at airport (Not quite on airport but pretty much) seamless. Roads are small and windy but sometimes hilly in places. Max speed is 30mph. Most of the cars are pretty small. Have hired a fiesta once. But that has been the biggest. Consider luggage. Kids have travelled short distances with cases on laps especially if hand luggage only.

If looking for villas you may find a number on the lixouri peninsular. This will either necessitate a longer drive or a quick ferry from argostoli. (First come first served) But, do think about this if your plane is later arriving or very early departing. We tend to stay on the main part of the island because of this,but its not insurmountable especially with a day flight.

If you don't stay on the lixouri peninsular worth a visit by ferry anyway.

We tend to stay around lassi /svoronata, and Kalamia, lourdata and Katielos and along the south coast generally within reach of argostoli, but central Villas in the hills will probably be cheaper.

Kefalonia is my favourite island and I love Greece.

Go.to argostoli in the morning and wander along the marina when the fishing boats come in to see all the turtles. Also fabulous in thr evening for a late night potch. Excellent vibe.

Some lovely sailing days out too, one of our highlights.

Enjoy.

Edited at 08:14 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you both for the ideas , going next year but will start looking now for villas . I can’t wait to go - not sure if I did do the cave trip on my day trip many years ago - I seem to go a cave trip on every European holiday I go on 😂
Old 18 Jul 21, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Family GWales recommended we use the same car hire and they were great x

Edited at 11:14 PM.
Sandra & co is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
Family GWales recommend we use the same car hire and they were great x
Is the insurance for that company all inclusive or would I need to pay extra on arrival x
Old 18 Jul 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Is the insurance for that company all inclusive or would I need to pay extra on arrival x
It was all included. We didn’t pay any extras x
Old 18 Jul 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
It's an extremely co.prehensive insurance. We have never paid nor been asked to pay any top ups.

However, like most car companies in Greece (irrespective of whether it is a 4x4 or not) you are not covered for offroad or gravel road damage. Most roads are asphalt.

They are not a huge company so again, maybe good to enquire /book this year. Have outlets at areas other than the airport if wanted
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 21, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I love Kefalonia. I would start your villa hunt quite soon (if you mean this year !)

I always use Pefanis for car hire, excellent prices and collection at airport (Not quite on airport but pretty much) seamless. Roads are small and windy but sometimes hilly in places. Max speed is 30mph. Most of the cars are pretty small. Have hired a fiesta once. But that has been the biggest. Consider luggage. Kids have travelled short distances with cases on laps especially if hand luggage only.

If looking for villas you may find a number on the lixouri peninsular. This will either necessitate a longer drive or a quick ferry from argostoli. (First come first served) But, do think about this if your plane is later arriving or very early departing. We tend to stay on the main part of the island because of this,but its not insurmountable especially with a day flight.

If you don't stay on the lixouri peninsular worth a visit by ferry anyway.

We tend to stay around lassi /svoronata, and Kalamia, lourdata and Katielos and along the south coast generally within reach of argostoli, but central Villas in the hills will probably be cheaper.

Kefalonia is my favourite island and I love Greece.

Go.to argostoli in the morning and wander along the marina when the fishing boats come in to see all the turtles. Also fabulous in thr evening for a late night potch. Excellent vibe.

Some lovely sailing days out too, one of our highlights.

Enjoy.
We have stayed in Katelios a couple of times, it is quite small and not a lot going on but the Tavernas along the beach are excellent and reasonable. A nice relaxing holiday and it appears to be an up and coming area, there were several Range Rovers etc but not overwhelming.
Old 19 Jul 21, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok thank you all , once I found a suitable villa I may pop back on and ask what you think on location 😂 there are many suitable villas however some of the prices are the snagging point 😂