wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Arrow Hey, Where's Perry? Day 11

Paul (wizzo)(It’s me typing this) Same as every year, Author, Photographer, Sherpa & Accountant
Lynn (Lomaddy) – Mother, Shopper, Proof Reader and Crowd Control.
Lauren (7) – Growing up way too fast. Swimmer, Golfer and thrill rider.
Maddy (4) – Small but packs a mighty punch. Is now tall enough for Splash and BTM!
George (Grandad) – Recently retired professional tea maker.
Marie (Grandma) – Grandchild spoiler and a top notch shopper like her daughter.

Index
Pre-Trip Report
Days 0 & 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8
Day 9
Day 10

Day Eleven – 2nd October 2011 Islands of Adventure, Shopping & Jiko

We started the day early and were out of the door just after 8am. Islands of Adventure was our destination and we wanted to be there in good time to buy some annual passes and then get in and get a go on Forbidden Journey. We parked in Spiderman! Which was a first for us, we’ve only ever been in King Kong or Jaws in the past.

We were in the queue at the ticket booth long before 9am but it took an absolute age to be served. Some of you may have read in the Pre-trip report that we were investing in Universal Annual passes to cover us for this holiday, plus we’ve already booked up at Easter and the intention is to go again in September 2012. So it made sense to get them. We’d get Disney ones too but it simply isn’t worth losing the free dining plan for the saving (you need to buy park tickets with your resort reservation to get free dining). After what seemed like a 2 hours wait, I’d bought 1 Preferred Pass and 3 Power Passes. As long as blockout dates aren’t a problem to you don’t buy all preferred as you only need one to receive free parking! I read that on the Dibb a while ago and it’s a good tip.

Now although we’re going next Easter, (which is a 2 week blockout at Universal) we fly out on Good Friday so our first week is the second week of blockout dates. Hence we’ll go to Universal in our second week and we saved many $s because of this! This is because our kids break up on the Thursday before Good Friday and don’t return to school until the 23rd April, hence why we also got Easter flights for under £500 too.

Anyway……………back to this holiday! Once inside we proceeded directly to Hogwarts. Lauren was giddy with excitement to be tall enough for her first go on Forbidden journey and with a stand by time of 15 minutes we all joined the queue. In truth it was less than 15 minutes and we barely got a look at the pre-ride entertainment. We jumped the last bit of the line too when Marie took Maddy to the child swap room and we rode. Lauren really enjoyed it and we all jumped when the first Dementor popped up!

The important ride of the day done, we rode Flight of the Hippogriff and then hit the shops for Harry Potter related presents for Lauren’s school friends and she sampled a Butterbeer.

Lynn and I also had a quick go on Duelling Dragons………I mean Dragons Challenge, which incidentally doesn’t race anymore after the recent accidents with articles falling from people’s pockets and striking other riders. There was no queue at all so we rode Fire first and then went straight into the re-ride door and did Ice. Tip…always do Fire first if you are doing both because you have to walk out and back in to the building to re-ride if you do Ice first. That is all providing the Re-Ride door is open inside the castle of course.

Wizarding World done, (or so I thought) we headed down to Seuss Landing and rode the Seuss Trolley Ride after which Marie decided she’d missed her chance and wanted to back to the Wizarding World to get Lauren a Cloak and Maddy an Owl. So off we trooped back up the hill again.

Marie was now happy that she’d spoilt the kids just enough for today so we walked back to Seuss Landing.

The girls used some of their holiday money on Dr Seuss books (as they always do. I have to admit I like them too.

Continued...

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 11, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
wizzo
Childish Halfwit

wizzo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Once out in the daylight Lauren was desperate to try her cloak on so we sat down and she tried it on. It was at this point that I went “How come you wanted a Slytherin cloak?” poor kid was mortified! Who wants to be a baddy! ? I have to admit there were a few tears (No it wasn’t me!). Not to worry though Daddy saved the day by walking all the way back to “Harry Potter World” for the 3rd time in the blazing heat and luckily they had a XXS Gryffindor cloak to exchange. Smiles all around when I returned (2 stones lighter) and everyone else was just exiting The Cat in the Hat ride.

Grandparents were volunteered to do One Fish Two fish while Lynn and I had a sit in the sun. I can remember the feeling of that sun on my face now and it seems as far away as an Ann Widdecombe marriage proposal!

It was lunchtime and as we were right next door to it we dined in Circus McGurkus. We had Burgers, Pizza and Chicken and it wasn’t too bad considering.

Having had enough of IoA we left after lunch and made our way to Premium Outlets for, as you ladies refer to it “Retail Therapy”. It doesn’t have the same appeal to us gentlemen. Nevertheless, I went!

It was time for our Annual (Sometimes Bi-Annual) trip to Sketchers for the kids. As every year it turned into a right performance with harsh language and wrong sized shoes being flung from one side of the shop to the other. It seems that Lynn always finds one particular pair of Shoes for the kids that “Just the cutest things ever” unfortunately Sketchers never have them in the right size and all hell breaks out.

After half an hour of faffing I step in and save the situation with calm head and suggest some nice alternatives (that are the kids size) and everything is right in the world once more.

You may remember that last year I told the girl behind the till that I was “Losing the will to live” in Sketchers and it went down like a lead balloon (they just don’t get it). This year I went one better, although I certainly was “Loosing the will to live” by this point I replied “Good thanks” when she asked me how I was. Unfortunately she then asked me “if anyone had helped me today” I pointed to the bloke next to her and said “I spoke to that guy there earlier but he was absolutely no help at all!” Once again, this was met with stony silence until I said “you can let him have his commission though if you want as he did try and find some shoes for me”. Then they both laughed. To be fair he was useless though.

The ladies wandered around numerous other shops but the rest of us just waited outside. Sketchers had once again sickened the rest of us! I did manage to pop into the American Chocolate Company shop in the food court though and secure a couple of their GORGEOUS toffee apples. They are pricey but really nice. I’d highly recommend them. I got Apple Pie Flavour this time as they didn’t have any classic red ones (as it was too warm).

Shopping over, everyone barring Lynn and Marie breathed a sigh of relief and we headed back to SSR. Everyone showered and prettied themselves (some of us are a lost cause when it comes to beautifying!) and we made our way over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for out ADR at Jiko.

The kids had been looking forward to this because…….well they weren’t going! They were going in Simba’s Clubhouse while the adults enjoyed a quiet meal without them We dropped them off at 6pm and made our way over to Jiko. 6:20pm isn’t exactly a civilised time for a lovely restaurant like Jiko but that’s what happens when you have a 4 year old in tow!

We got drinks beforehand and were soon shown to our table. We got a nice booth at the back and Marie and George received a card signed by the staff for their Anniversary. I thought putting this on the booking might get us a nice table. Perhaps it did.

For starters we shared the Wild Boar and the “Taste of Africa”. Both were lovely, the Wild Boar being a favourite of mine from our last trip. Unfortunately we forgot to take photos of the starters yet again!

We fared better when the main courses arrive. Myself, Lynn and Marie had the Fillet Mignon on a bed of sweet corn risotto, while George had the Beef Short Rib.

This Tandoori butter and african bread is the best thing served in jiko!

The mains were excellent but on this occasion I would say that Le Cellier’s Fillet was marginally better.

George and Marie received a complimentary Crème Brulee for the Anniversary to share while I had the Coconut Bread Pudding and Caramel Ice Cream which was fabulous and Lynn had Cheesecake.

With wine and drinks it would have cost us in the region $400 but as it was it cost us about $100 for starters, wine and a tip. Good value on the free dining plan but overpriced if you had to pay for it in my opinion. It was noticeable that all Disney Dining is gradually getting more and more expensive.

Lynn went and got the kids while we settled the bill and shortly after 8pm we made our way back to our own resort. The kids had eaten Pizza and burger for tea, watched a bit of the Incredibles and made a puppet that looked remarkably like an oven glove to me! In short they’d loved it.

Being back at Animal Kingdom Lodge (we stayed there in 2009) had brought back memories of what a lovely resort it is and that night we decided we wanted to return next year!

We were home before 9pm and all in bed not long after as we had an early start in the morning.

Tomorrow – Siesta Key Beach Sarasota.

2023 Trip Report - COMPLETE HERE

My old trip reports are all HERE

wizzo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 11, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
highland lass
Imagineer

a great day - i am still looking for perry
Old 31 Oct 11, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Tartan Tigger
Imagineer

Great day. Can't find Perry today.
All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Art of Animation, Caribbean Beach, French Quarter, Riverside, Coronado Springs, Swan, Dolphin, Wilderness Lodge, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, Cabana Bay, Beach Club, Contemporary Tower, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Bay Lake Tower, Old Key West
Tartan Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 11, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Disney
VIP Dibber

I can't find him either... but a great day nevertheless!

Loving your reports!
1996 - ASMusic 2000 - Econolodge Hawaiian 2002 - Offsite villa somewhere... 2003 - Cumbrian Lakes 2005 - Emerald Island & Nickelodeon Hotel 2007 - Formosa Gardens and RPR 2008 - Orange Tree 2010 - Tuscan Hills & RPR 2012 - SSR 2014 - SSR & HRH 2015 - OKW & HRH 2018 - OKW & RPR Club level 2022 - BEACH CLUB & RPR Club level
Mrs Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 11, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Another great day.

It looks like you've beaten us all with Perry today, because I can't find him either!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 11, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

Where's Perry ?

Another great day, but cant find Perry.
Old 31 Oct 11, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great day
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 11, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
laura
Imagineer

another good report but i cant find Perry either so of to have another look
Old 31 Oct 11, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disney chic
Imagineer

great day

WDW
2000 Allstar movies, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Caribbean beach, 2006 Pop century, 2007 Pop century, 2008 Dolphin and Pop century disney wedding, 2010 Grand Floridian, Pop century Fort wilderness campground allstar music , 2011 Allstar movies, 2013 Art of animation 2014 christmas at All star music

Disneyland Paris march 2014
disney chic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List