Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 9 Aug 22, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Matman
Getting to know the DIBB

Miami to Naples Toll

Has anyone done Maimi Int to Naples recently?
Are the toll booth staffed?
Matman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s cashless tolls leaving Miami. We drive that route in May.

No booths to drive through at all that we saw.

We came a different way back that avoided the tolls. Didn’t take much longer so that’s always an option for the drive over.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
This is a map of all the toll roads in Florida.

You'll see there's loads of cashless ones around Miami but I'm not sure whether you go on them to get to I-75 Alligator Alley which is a toll but not cashless. I imagine that the main toll plazas on the interstate will be manned but there's a chance that those on the on/off ramps may be unmanned. Exactly like those on the 417.

It doesn't really matter anyway because all hire cars in Florida are automatically "toll by plate" enabled. Just drive through without stopping and a camera takes a photo of your plate, In due course you'll get a bill from the car company with their admin fee and toll charges.

Cashless tolls are different to unmanned tolls. Cashless means that you can't pay cash anywhere. Unmanned means you may have to throw coins into a basket. Using "toll by plate" takes that risk away.

sunpass/en/tolls/tollsSunPass.shtml

Mick

Edited at 06:53 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS

Google Maps suggests that you can get from MIA to Naples using the 41 toll free but obviously not as quick as the interstate. Mick

Edited at 06:44 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
PS

Google Maps suggests that you can get from MIA to Naples using the 41 toll free but obviously not as quick as the interstate. Mick
That’s the way we came back in May. It’s actually a very interesting drive compared to Alligator Alley. Lots of wildlife to see and people fishing etc.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
That’s the way we came back in May. It’s actually a very interesting drive compared to Alligator Alley. Lots of wildlife to see and people fishing etc.
Only done it once about 20 years ago but only single carriageway I recall. It was pouring down and I had a 50 ton semi truck up my back end for miles. I think I chickened out and pulled in at a gas station to let him pass.
Old 9 Aug 22, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Only done it once about 20 years ago but only single carriageway I recall. It was pouring down and I had a 50 ton semi truck up my back end for miles. I think I chickened out and pulled in at a gas station to let him pass.
Some of it is yes, but wasn’t at all busy when we were there so no problems. It did pour down a few times and visibility was poor but didn’t last long thankfully.

Saw lots of buzzards circling waiting to get to whatever was dying on the ground. Also a few feasting on a dead turtle 🤢

Lots of alligators in the waterways, that’s really the road I’d call alligator alley as you see so many. No way I’d be getting out of the car!
Old 10 Aug 22, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Matman
Getting to know the DIBB

Driven both of these roads pre covid and after along flight will take the easy way out with the toll road and enjoy the 41 on the return to Miami.

Thank you Bellasmummy and Mick for the responses.
Matman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 22, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
edu_afp
Serious Dibber

edu_afp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
PS

You guys can take a look at my thread about going through US41 W to Naples toll free and then upward to MCO via gulf coast.

OP, the first few pictures will guide you toward Naples, it's a really nice ride as Bellasmummy said.

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1232441

Back with my DS May 2023
edu_afp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List