Old 5 Jun 22, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Day 16 - Fresh! Mediterranean Market & Outback at MCO

I'm sorry but I have no photos of today. This often happens when I get to travel day home, I just can't be bothered!

We couldn't go to a park today as we'd stayed 16 nights and the tickets had expired. Thankfully this won't be an issue next time with the magic tickets. Instead we had a long lie, finished packing and got Bell Services to collect our luggage. We had been unexpectedly been given a dining credit of $50 per room because we booked with Virgin Holidays. I say unexpected as it wasn't on the website. I know they used to do it but thought they stopped. Anyway we decided to use it for breakfast at Fresh! Mediterranean Market. This is a buffet although you have to order certain things. I wanted fried eggs so had to order those from the server and Mum ordered toast from her. We could get bacon, sausage, ham, waffles and pancakes from the hot counter servers and there were pastries available too. The best thing about this was because it was free we didn't feel the need to get our money's worth . This was a really nice breakfast and cost the amount of the dining credit at $24.99 each. It cost us $10 per room by the time tax and tip were added so a pretty good deal.

This kept us going for a while and we next ate at the airport where we chose Outback. I had chicken strips, Dad had a burger and Mum and Marie a chicken caesar wrap. This was nice although I ended up with two lots of fries because it came with two sides. I wasn't offered any other side and you'd think the server could have used some common sense. I think this is a decent option at the airport and we tend to go there a lot.

I think the least said about the food on the flight the better. The main meals were pretty tasteless. I mean I actually wondered if I had covid it was so tasteless. I got salmon and Marie got the chicken fajita thing.
Breakfast was something horrible - overnight oats and a sausage and egg biscuit. Neither were nice.

And that was the last food we ate on holiday. I think next time I might stop at the last full day as going home day is always so depressing .

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Final thoughts

I know a lot of this report seems negative and I've been reflecting on why so I'm going to go with the low points first.

Low Points

Not enough staff to open the food outlets properly meant that there were queues everywhere. This put us off eating at a few places and made others a less pleasant experience than they should have been - Les Halles I'm looking at you!

We tried to replicate previous good experiences and I think some of them let us down a bit.

For various reasons we ended up eating at the food court ore than we'd have liked. It couldn't be helped but I think we probably missed out on a few places because of that.

Food in DHS. The QS places are all outside except ABC Commissary and Docking bay 7 (don't love the menu there) and to be honest we don't fancy the TS places. It's always been somewhere we've struggled to get food at and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I think next trip we need to have a bit of a plan when it comes to DHS food.

High points

Beignets! These tasted exactly like we remembered and were available to us any time!

Yak & Yeti was as good as it's always been and will stay on our list.

The Turf Club was a great new option and will definitely be on our list.

Space 220 while expensive was a great experience and a beautiful meal. I'm glad the meal lived up to the experience.

The dining credit definitely gave us more flexibility but obviously wouldn't have covered all our food. There were times it wasn't easy to use but we managed to get through it all.

We did things a bit differently to normal having Mum and Dad there so we have to take that into account but overall we had some nice dining experiences and none that were truly awful (except the teriyaki chicken from Backlot Express ).

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
This was our first Epcot day of the trip. It's not our favourite park but with Flower and Garden on we wanted to do it a couple of times. We aimed for early entry at 8am and had the usual breakfast in the room.
Mum and Dad hadn't had any food so by mid-morning we decided to head for a snack. Sunshine Seasons was closest but didn't have much so we walked on to World Showcase aiming for Les Halles in France. The queue was enormous so we changed our mind as our LL for Ratatouille was pretty close. Instead we rode Ratatouille and continued on round the world looking for somewhere suitable.
We were in America before we actually found anywhere suitable. It was one of the Joffrey's stands with donuts etc. I'm never very sure what these American pastries are called but I think maybe they were crullers and bear claws? The menu just says "pastries".

I chose the Wildberry Wonder Refresher and an apple pastry that may or may not be a bear claw.

Everyone else got the thing that may or may not have been a cruller.

Mum and Dad got a latte and Marie got an iced latter of some description.

We sat over at the Regal Eagle tables as it wasn't open yet. This was really nice and next time we'll know just to head for one of these stands! My drink was refreshing but the flavour wasn't very strong.

We popped in to Club Cool to try some of the new flavours. It was quite busy so I didn't get any photos. We managed to try most of them, including the bbq one that no one likes. I actually thought it was quite nice if you tried not to also smell it.

After another early start we left the park around lunch time and headed to DS. Polite Pig wasn't busy so we just went there. We got a bit of a mixture of sides and appetisers. Marie and I shared the slider trio, waffle fries and macaroni cheese. Mum and dad shared waffle fries and Mac and cheese. I also got the crispy Brussels sprouts.

The waffle fries and macaroni cheese were really nice. I'd definitely go back for those. The Brussel sprouts are my attempt to have some veg on holiday and while they definitely improve sprouts they are still after all sprouts. The sliders weren't great. They were Southern Pig, low and slow brisket and fried chicken. The brisket was a bit fatty and the others were just ok.
I still really like Polite Pig though and next time would just choose differently.

Back at the resort Marie and I headed to do some laundry and spend time at the pool. While we were waiting for the driers we got a drink from the pool bar. I think it was a Lava Smoothie.

For some reason I don't have pictures of dinner. We went to the food court again. Mum and Dad shared chicken strips and wanted bread to have a chip butty but they only have it out at breakfast. I ended up buying a loaf from the shop and Marie had to ask in the food court for butter. Marie went for the chilli bowl and I got some salad and fries and had the chicken leftover from Homecomin'. Waste not want not! I'm sure we probably had pie or something too!
Omg I love those crispy sprouts at the polite pig I’m sat here reading this showing my husband some of your amazing food pics and we are both salivating!
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
Omg I love those crispy sprouts at the polite pig I’m sat here reading this showing my husband some of your amazing food pics and we are both salivating!
I would love to say I loved them .

Trip Report Index
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Really enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing. Good to see cost totals too, gives a good idea of what to expect .
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
A fantastic read with lots of great tips which will be really helpful. I loved all your food court items and sometimes it’s just the easiest way to go. I thought you had a great balance of places.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
Really enjoyed reading this, thanks for sharing. Good to see cost totals too, gives a good idea of what to expect .
Thanks! I tried to keep a note of costs but the receipts are in a bag somewhere that I haven’t gone through . If I get through it I’ll update the rest of the posts.
Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
A fantastic read with lots of great tips which will be really helpful. I loved all your food court items and sometimes it’s just the easiest way to go. I thought you had a great balance of places.
Thanks! The food court was actually fine. There was actually a couple of things I didn’t get round to trying .

Trip Report Index
Old 5 Jun 22, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Excellent report.
Thank you.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
EllieP
Imagineer

So glad to read about FQ we are thinking of booking here for next year with our 2 teenage daughters (17&16). Is it a nice resort, pool area etc and they like to go for a wander by themselves and as it’s a smaller resort think this will be good for them. We are debating between FQ and POR and keep going back and forth 😖. Only stayed at SSR previous 2 visits. Looking forward to reading all about the food court visits. The beignets look yummy, I think the girls will like those.
EllieP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 22, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Great report, thank you for taking the time to do it.

I’d love to know why the d-luxe burger fries were disgusting. I don’t remember them being bad so I’m intrigued
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List