Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Aug 22, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
So how do you folks take cash out at the Wawa ATM's? Using your credit card? Monzo, Revolut?

That would be very handy, especially as its fee free.
Debit card for me. Never had a pre-loaded card.

Mick

Edited at 03:55 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
redemma13
Imagineer

redemma13's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
For the first time, we aren't taking all our money in cash!

We are taking a few thousand in $'s and then we opened a chase account to use while we are there for paying for big meals,ubers,mobile ordering etc.

The kids will have their own $'s as well.

Em
redemma13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Got a Chase card that have just come out in the UK - no fees for using abroad.

So we will load that up as our primary method to pay and transfer money into it from our current accounts if we over spend

1% cash back on all purchases 😙

I prefer this than the Halifax Clarity card because I’d rather see the instant impact to my bank account rather than waiting 1-2 months for the credit card direct debit to be paid

We will probably take $200 in 5s and 10s for quick transactional tips (ie hotel concierge)

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazascouser
Apprentice Imagineer

Mazascouser's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Few hundred dollars and credit card. Best of both worlds.
Mazascouser is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Andysaurus
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm taking my debit and credit card and some Disney World gift cards I've been given and that's it. No cash. Should someone expect a cash tip for some reason I'll just say sorry, I don't carry cash lol Though I do everything myself so shouldn't be an issue. Lyft and restaurants take tips via card.

Edited at 05:27 PM.
Andysaurus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I use the same method in USA as I do in the Uk ie my watch - I dont use cash for anything and haven’t needed to (add tips to hotel account) - fuel is easy to do via watch although partner had to use a card once in Orlando . Neither us took cash. Neither is us needed it. Neither if us will even think of taking a single dollar bill I have my UK bank and Amex for fallback if on rare occasion cant use my watch .

Each to their own but I suggest doing same as you do in Uk as its only less thing to think about (I know I would forget to go out with cash and leave it in the safe !)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

How to do manage adding tips for valet parkers, bell hops etc Do you tell them you'll be adding it to the account and take their name? Can't see how that would work for us as we find they very much do expect a cash tip and do the 'cheorography' where they end up right at an arm's length for the tip after showing us around the room or giving us our keys. In LA this also happens at restaurants with valet parking. In New York we had 2 manned toilets in restaurants with cash tipping jars, Amtrak redcaps take cash tips, doormen who walk a few blocks to hail a cab in the snow etc...

Would love to go totally cash free but we still encounter too many instances where we need cash so we take out money and ask the ATM for all $5 bills for tipping.

I need see an American tipping a doorman via Venmo in February (not available for non-US citizens) so hopefully that doesn't catch on!
landandword17 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
How to do manage adding tips for valet parkers, bell hops etc Do you tell them you'll be adding it to the account and take their name? Can't see how that would work for us as we find they very much do expect a cash tip and do the 'cheorography' where they end up right at an arm's length for the tip after showing us around the room or giving us our keys. In LA this also happens at restaurants with valet parking. In New York we had 2 manned toilets in restaurants with cash tipping jars, Amtrak redcaps take cash tips, doormen who walk a few blocks to hail a cab in the snow etc...

Would love to go totally cash free but we still encounter too many instances where we need cash so we take out money and ask the ATM for all $5 bills for tipping.

I need see an American tipping a doorman via Venmo in February (not available for non-US citizens) so hopefully that doesn't catch on!

Most of them have venmo/TipX etc these days - but I dont tip someone for opening a door or handing me a paper towel in a toilet ! Bell hops etc will have a hand held terminal and you scab a QR code and/or select the amount and use your watch (or phone, card etc)

Edited at 06:17 PM. Reason: Auto correct
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

I use my credit cards for everything whether at home or away. I have been to the ATM maybe 3 times since Covid started in March 2020. I have maybe spent £150 in that time. When going to the USA, I will still have dollars left from $100 after three trips.
I just prefer to use cards as I find them more convenient and prefer to keep my own money for as long as possible.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 22, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
ellie666
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
This question gets asked a lot. It's totally up to you what you do.
Phew, glad to know I don't need your permission
Orlando (No Disney apart from MNSSHP) - 2022
Disneyland Mars (Green Lagoon) - 2038
ellie666 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List