Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 13 Sep 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We always stay at either London City Tower Hill, on Prescot Street, or Aldgate, depending on price at the time. The Aldgate one is really near a little cinema which we like, and the Tower Hill one is opposite a Wetherspoons. We’ve stayed in these hotels about 20 times over the last few years and always had a good experience.
Old 13 Sep 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lesley Cassidy
Very Serious Dibber

We have just booked the County Hall one for November as we stayed there for New Year's eve last year as it was close to Waterloo station and you can quite easily walk to Trafalgar square and Covent Garden
Lesley Cassidy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lesley Cassidy View Post
We have just booked the County Hall one for November as we stayed there for New Year's eve last year as it was close to Waterloo station and you can quite easily walk to Trafalgar square and Covent Garden
This reminds me, I stayed in the Waterloo one as well, really good also and nearly as good location as the County Hall one. It’s just across the road from County Hall. Looks a bit like a tower block on the outside but good inside.
Old 14 Sep 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
dismamx2
VIP Dibber

Look at what you plan to do when you are there and base yourself close to those attractions. You can't go wrong in any PI (I think). We've stayed at Waterloo, loved it for all the tourist attraction etc. And also Kings Cross, we prefer this location as it's a straight run in on the Piccadilly line from Heathrow (flying from Éire), PI is 2 minutes from the station. We also stayed in the Hub at KX, the 'bigger room' was really nice with lots of mod cons.
dismamx2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Leicester Square one?

Kat
yes in January

great location, decent rooms for the location & right next to the action

also used the tower hill one
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Which would you all recommend for a London trip. Hubbie would love a day at the imperial war museum so thinking of a trip for his birthday. Thanks.
dizzymcfarlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 20, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
Which would you all recommend for a London trip. Hubbie would love a day at the imperial war museum so thinking of a trip for his birthday. Thanks.
I'm staying at the blackfriars one right now. Leaving tomorrow. Great central location near tube and St Paul's. Walk over blackfriars Bridge and follow the road to find the IWM. We did that yesterday.

Always stay here in London. 3rd time now. Set back a little too so no views unless on one of the top floors but hardly any traffic noise. Great walks along the river as well. We've walked to Westminster and the Tower.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
Has anyone stayed at the Leicester Square one?

Kat
Yes! Great location but the worst and most expensive PI we’ve ever stayed in. In fact we requested a refund. The place stank of stale wee 🤢
In fairness they were refurbing so it might be ok now.

However, we have decided we like the Blackfriars one best. It’s not the newest but it’s really well located, the staff are always friendly and it’s nice and quiet.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBrown
Very Serious Dibber

I’ve got a family room booked at Holborn?

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I’ve stayed at a load of them. Holborn is nice but has no family rooms. County Hall good but close to Westminster. The St Mary at Hill (think they now call it Bank) I’m in a lot as it’s close to the office and just around the corner from Tower of London etc. Ask for a high corner room there, some good views of the Walkie Talkie and you could also book Sky Garden, close to Tower Bridge etc. There’s one opposite Kings Cross, and another fairly close to St Pancras further towards Euston, Madame Tussaud’s etc. The Aldgate one is a very nice one but a little further out but good for access to Brick Lane etc. There’s one at Southwark, that’s a good one for location but again not far from Westminster. I’m staying in Blackfriars next month as haven’t stayed in that one yet and thought would give it a go. London City is a bit disappointing I’d avoid that one, St Mary at Hill or Aldgate are much better. I’ve stayed in many more like Victoria, they are all much of a muchness.
For families the County Hall one is hard to beat possibly having the best visitor location of any hotel in London and a great bang for the buck but you are close to Westminster. Whilst not the most modern it’s not in bad shape and the rooms can be very large as it’s converted offices. If you fancy instead being closer to Tower Bridge and the ToL, the further side of the South Bank such as HMS Belfast etc, and the City and closer to the East End, the St Mary at Hill is great but can be more expensive in the week or Aldgate if you don’t mind being a bit further out (tube station across road).
Edit seen you have no kids- Holborn then is a good choice, near St Paul’s. There is a great Korean restaurant on the corner of the road where that one is. This one also has some of the new fancy upgraded premium rooms.
MrsBrown is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBrown View Post
I’ve got a family room booked at Holborn?
I didn’t think they did them now? I’ve stopped in that one for business (good location, great Korean restaurant on the corner of the street, well worth a meal there) and Mrs YT was booking for October and I said book that one- no family rooms. Also saw they’d revamped some of the rooms with the new fancy style (bit more expensive) so assumed they’d taken all the family rooms for them. Maybe there are some left then and they are just booked up. We booked Blackfriars instead as I haven’t stayed there.