Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jul 22, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile AirTags or similar. What works best?

Heard about these and think they might be worth an investment. Can anyone advise on their experience with them regarding luggage and what type they would recommend?

I’m Thinking when they aren’t in holiday cases, they could be tucked in each car incase stolen.
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 22, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Endeavour
VIP Dibber

This thread might be worth reading:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...light=Air+tags

They could be used in cases, in car, etc. as you suggest.
Endeavour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 22, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you. Will go and read
Covid cancelled Aug 2020!
Back to NYC Dec 22
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 03:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

DD and I were chatting to an employee at Costco today. He said they work much better than the Tiles because they are tracked by any I phone near them and then the location is relayed via the GPS system. Apparently some car hire companies are using them for tracking in case cars are stolen.
Old 25 Jul 22, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just loaded up with AirTags now. We already have some in the cars as secondary back up for car theft so had 2 left in that pack. Bought another 4 to go with the 2 spare, one now in all cases, taped on the inside with duct tape, one in the adults hand luggage. I’ll be looking tomorrow to see if the cases are in the hold before taking off.
Read one story of a fella in Sidney who lost his case and they claimed they had no idea where it was. When he was at home he saw it in the airport. He went back the next day and traced it to a back room.

Edited at 07:15 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
DD and I were chatting to an employee at Costco today. He said they work much better than the Tiles because they are tracked by any I phone near them and then the location is relayed via the GPS system. Apparently some car hire companies are using them for tracking in case cars are stolen.
GPS is ‘read only’ if you like so nothing can be transmitted to it and GPS isn’t relaying anything on. The AirTag Bluetooth is picked up by a nearby iPhone, and the phone software, auto transmits in the background the location of the AirTag via the iPhone data connection to Apple iCloud servers, and the ‘Find My’ app on your iPhone or iPad or Mac, connects to those servers and sees where it is. When the AirTag owners phone is in close proximity to an AirTag when trying to track it down (this is on newer phones iPhone 11 up, with a newer type of wide band Bluetooth only) the phone trying to track will then pick up the Bluetooth directly from the AirTag from some distance away, and give precise direction to where it is rather than just showing it on a map. Older iPhone users can’t use the nearby precision tracking but can see it on the map fine.
AirTag is probably the best as it’s using the most popular phones (iPhones) with the software built in for the relaying bit. Other things like Tiles, rely on someone with the software installed. As you can imagine that is a tiny fraction compared to iPhone owners. I have found it surprising how often and regularly the AirTag is picked up in the car. Even in country areas etc. Shows there’s always someone fairly near with an iPhone.

Edited at 07:27 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 22, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

YT I bought the Samsung ones on Amazon (have Samsung phones) after reading the above mentioned thread. Haven't opened them as yet or worked out what to do. One question do you need to have Bluetooth on ALL the time, does it drain phone battery to do so? Can you just put Bluetooth on to check the tags are working? I'll be on my own to Australia so no DH to help if necessary
Old 25 Jul 22, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
YT I bought the Samsung ones on Amazon (have Samsung phones) after reading the above mentioned thread. Haven't opened them as yet or worked out what to do. One question do you need to have Bluetooth on ALL the time, does it drain phone battery to do so? Can you just put Bluetooth on to check the tags are working? I'll be on my own to Australia so no DH to help if necessary
Not sure about Samsung but on Apple no, after pairing the AirTag where it does need to be on (just hold it near the iPhone, easiest thing) the find my app is then working on data so you don’t need Bluetooth on at all unless you do the locate close thing I mentioned above. However if it’s near your iPhone won’t pick it up and relay it to Find My. So imagine you are looking for your keys and you live in a remote cottage with no other iPhones about. Your own phones Bluetooth wouldn’t pick up your keys were in your own house.
Bluetooth on modern phones though uses very limited power- I never switch mine off.
Old 25 Jul 22, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have air tags and tiles. Air tags 100% win for me.
Old 25 Jul 22, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Depends on which phone you have
iPad & iPhone: Apple AirTags
Samsung Galaxy range: Samsung smart tag plus
Other android: tile
Only apple items can use AirTags, same for Galaxy smart tags,had to be Samsung.

Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,

Edited at 11:53 AM.
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List