Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Aug 22, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
MUAlumni
Excited about Disney

I’ve always done no car and never had a problem. A lot easier these days with Uber which I don’t think I’ve ever waited more than 5 mins for one
MUAlumni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Have been 8 times and never had a car, we had no problems at all getting around and used the free shuttle bus to Busch gardens, you can book it in before you go. Have a great time.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
We’ve never hired a car and always managed to get around easily.
Years ago we used the free shuttles the hotels provided along with the I-ride for getting around I-drive and more recently a mixture of Uber Lynx buses and hotel shuttles.

In May we used Uber to get from the airport to our Universal hotel on I-drive then the free shuttles to and from the parks which started running around 7am and you don’t have to book them as they run constantly.
You could get an I-ride down to SeaWorld which is $2 per person or you can buy a 2 week pass which I think is around $16.
The free bus to Busch Gardens runs from SeaWorld and it used to run from Universals City Walk bus drop off area but not sure if it still does.

We stayed for a week at Disney’s CSR and got an Uber from the Universal hotel then used the Disney buses which were fine there was only once we waited longer than 5/10 minutes.

Just had a quick look on my Uber app and we spent just over $166 over 17 days which included 2XL Ubers from and back to MCO a trip to and from Walmart another trip back from the Cheesecake Factory at Vinelands and an UberXL from Universal to Disney.

Edited at 09:30 AM.
Taffy1959 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
hvasey
Imagineer

Don’t underestimate how nice it is not to have to trudge back to your car after a long park day. Next time we go we will do it without a car, we found driving very stressful last time in 2018, the traffic was awful, especially around Dis springs.
hvasey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tiggertastic View Post
Thanks.

Could you give a rough guess at costs? From say pointe Orlando to parks? Rough ball park?

I agree re flexibility it would be my preference but if we can do it cheaper then that's preferable.
Download the Uber app and use the estimator to give you an idea of price, prices do surge when there a storm on or there lot of demand but it will always be cheaper than a regular cab. You can by weekly passes for lynx buses on there website and they will post to you for free in the uk there excellent value for money
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 22, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
UK-KIRK
Excited about Disney

UK-KIRK's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Use the Uber price estimator, relatively reliable, as previously recommended.

We went in May. Car Hire, plus tolls, fuel, car parking at the hotel RPH $28 per night (14 nights), car parking at Disney ($25-$50) per day was working out approx. £1700-£2000 at the time, so we decided to use UBER.

It was great, No stress, no long walks from the car park to the Park Entrance came back and checked the Uber account and credit card all in £370 inc. Tips. We went everywhere Theme parks, Spirit of the Swamp, shopping (outlets and WALMART), wouldn't bother with a car again. Plus if going for dinner, you can have a beer or glass of wine, nice not to worry.
UK-KIRK is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
dan223
Imagineer

Also very much depends where you do your eating, and if you like to pop back to the hotel during the day.

We stay offsite, eat offsite, and like the option to pop back in the day if we want to.
An average day might look like
Villa > breakfast restaurant
Breakfast > park
Park > dinner
Dinner > park
Park > villa

Once you add all those trips up in an Uber it becomes very expensive, consider in surge pricing if you stay for evening shows, a $20 fare can rise to $80.

If I was you and you eat offsite when you are staying onsite, I’d consider getting a car after your Disney stay.
dan223 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Kev Harrison
Apprentice Imagineer

It’s all personal preference really.

For me the cost of an SUV for £600 is worth it.

If it’s a rainy day, we can change our plans on a dime and drive where it’s dry.

No waiting around for buses or Ubers to turn up.
Kev Harrison is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

Is it possible with an infant? Would you need to carry a car seat about with you to use Ubers?
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 22, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Eggnboby
Excited about Disney

An example of when a car is better is if you want to get to a park for opening, leave at midday to go and have some pool time, then return in the evening. Once finished in the park, you want to go for dinner somewhere, then back to your accommodation. That would be a pain for us using UBER.

Also, it is nice to drive from the airport and stop off at shops on the way to the hotel/villa.

I suppose its the age old battle of time and convenience vs expense. Only you can decide. Either way will be an amazing holiday!

Edited at 10:53 AM.
Eggnboby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List