Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Aug 20, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This is just getting worse. They should have just used the CAGs after Scotland announced they would.

We feel like we are doing the oaky coaky (sp?) here. CAG and mocks means DD hopefully goes to Surrey - as it is she goes to Bristol. We are in limbo and feel like we can’t really plan anything.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Just becoming a farce now. One of dds mocks was higher than cag, one of her cag higher than mocks. She is pretty much decided on taking a year out now as even following all the updated guidance is causing so much stress.

They think covid affected the mental health of the nation... this is just piling up stress unnecessarily in such an unorganised mean manner.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Just becoming a farce now. One of dds mocks was higher than cag, one of her cag higher than mocks. She is pretty much decided on taking a year out now as even following all the updated guidance is causing so much stress.

They think covid affected the mental health of the nation... this is just piling up stress unnecessarily in such an unorganised mean manner.
This is our situation too. I’m not allowed to type the rude words I want to type. It’s a shambles!
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ds4ljs View Post
This is our situation too. I’m not allowed to type the rude words I want to type. It’s a shambles!
I had to think carefully about the words before typing, they bore precious little resemblance to the feelings inside!
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

One of my friend’s daughters still doesn’t even have her results...
She’s not alone it seems. Not sure if it’s just her college or not?

*This is for BTec but they were due the same day and surely puts them at a massive disadvantage when it comes to clearing?

Edited at 08:58 AM.
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Ds4ljs
Imagineer

Ds4ljs's Reviews
Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
One of my friend’s daughters still doesn’t even have her results...
She’s not alone it seems. Not sure if it’s just her college or not?

*This is for BTec but they were due the same day and surely puts them at a massive disadvantage when it comes to clearing?
Yes apparently there was all glitch in the system and some schools/ colleges had all their BTecs graded as Us. My friend’s son has to wait until Monday and there are no guarantees they will get their results then...poor kids.
Ds4ljs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post

I am sorry for so many young people who have been so disappointed by their results. My older two have both been off to uni, and I also volunteer as a mentor.

I appreciate that for some university may feel like a long way off and others may be upset because they cannot get to their first choice. For the latter considering putting it off and taking a year out I would suggest thinking this through really carefully. Jobs are in very short supply and world travelling for a year has its pitfalls at the moment too. I have had one at home twiddling thumbs for a year - it would have been better in the circumstances to have been at uni. So just think super carefully about what a year off in this context actually means. May be better to take a second choice place. Not ideal I appreciate.

My DD is now going off to somewhere she hadn't intended to go with lower grades than she would have wished. I suspect within a week or two that other unis won't even get a thought. I also think exam grades for this year will forever be tainted in a way, so not sure the lower grades will have such a spectacular impact either on future job prospects other than complete disenchantment with the system.

Good luck all.

Edited at 01:13 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I am sorry for so many young people who have been so disappointed by their results. My older two have both been off to uni, and I also volunteer as a mentor.

I appreciate that for some university may feel like a long way off and others may be upset because they cannot get to their first choice. For the latter considering putting it off and taking a year out I would suggest thinking this through really carefully. Jobs are in very short supply and world travelling for a year has its pitfalls at the moment too. I have had one at home twiddling thumbs for a year - it would have been better in the circumstances to have been at uni. So just think super carefully about what a year off in this context actually means. May be better to take a second choice place. Not ideal I appreciate.

My DD is now going off to somewhere she hadn't intended to go with lower grades than she would have wished. I suspect within a week or two that other unis won't even get a thought. I also think exam grades for this year will forever be tainted in a way, so not sure the lower grades will have such a spectacular impact either on future job prospects other than complete disenchantment with the system.

Good luck all.
See I disagree, I think good grades from this exam series will be seen as a great result. If you can go through what the kids have been through, and through an unfair standardisation process and still be sitting with As in your sticky fingers then you just be good and that will be recognised by employers in the future
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
I have no personal interest in school exam results as DS has graduated from university this year, but just wanted to say how sad I feel for all the young people who have received their A level results and those to receive GCSE results on Thursday.

I hope for those who's results weren't as expected that their mental health isn't suffering from what appears to be such a badly handled situation!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
All this is not new. This "problem" - the discrepancy between predicted grades and actual grades, plus the "standardisation" of results - has been around for years. It's merely become news this year.

Here's a research paper from 2016 stating that "the vast majority (75% of applicants) were over-predicted – ie. their grades were predicted to be higher than they actually achieved".

In comparison, the 39% that were over-predicted this year is actually a much better result than in the past.

It also goes on to say, "Students from disadvantaged backgrounds and state schools are more likely to be over-predicted, whilst those at independent schools receive more accurate predictions". So it's no surprise that, again, this year the grades of those from disadvantaged backgrounds are affected more than others.

Teacher assessed grades being higher than they should be is not a new thing. Although it's worth pointing out that this year the majority (around 60%) actually correctly estimated the grade the student would get.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List