Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Mar 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

DH wears prescription goggles as he is super blind so really needs something all the time! There's always one or two slides where they won't let him wear them but usually they are happy for him to hold them. Often they work in his favour as he can deal with water being splashed in his face on the slides better.

I wear prescription sunnies and take them off if required on slides. Volcano Bay wouldn't let me wear them on anything but they have little storage areas at the bottom of each slide. Wave pools call for a sports band to hold them on! They are old and aren't expensive but I wear them the whole holiday so it would be a right pain to lose or break them.

Had a close call in Volcano Bay as the attendant didn't tell me to take them off when going down the OhNo slide. They came off on impact with the water and I had to dive down to get them which luckily I managed quickly without them noticing. The next day we went back for the morning and I was told I couldn't wear them on OhNo, and that if they came off I wouldn't be allowed to retrieve them and would have to wait until the end of the day to get them from lost property! Which as we were leaving that afternoon would have been a problem...

Edited at 10:10 AM.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Highly recommend googling Croakies.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
hallamdisneyfan
Earning More Ears

I got prescription goggles from the internet quite cheaply. I cannot see anything without my glasses so a massive help.
ANSVLS I was asked to remove my glasses at Siam Park, but that meant leaving the pool so when we returned to Siam I had the goggles and I was fine with them, even splashing around with the kids near a lifeguard.
OP - my son, age 12, used to have the elastic band things for football, and was fine with them, but for swimming the whole family has prescription goggles.
hallamdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by hallamdisneyfan View Post
I got prescription goggles from the internet quite cheaply. I cannot see anything without my glasses so a massive help.
ANSVLS I was asked to remove my glasses at Siam Park, but that meant leaving the pool so when we returned to Siam I had the goggles and I was fine with them, even splashing around with the kids near a lifeguard.
OP - my son, age 12, used to have the elastic band things for football, and was fine with them, but for swimming the whole family has prescription goggles.
I found they were really weird about it at Siam Park, they would let me wear my sunglasses while I could stand up in the pool but you weren't allowed to swim with them on! Makes no sense to me as the waves are actually more powerful if you're standing in the shallows! I'm still licking my wounds from trying that one lol
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I use prescription goggles but like other posters, sometimes feel a bit silly walking around in them when not in the water. Also, they seem to mist up pretty quickly in the Florida humidity! My prescription has changed (for the worse!) since I bought the goggles so I'm not sure whether to buy another pair for our next holiday or just use my prescription sunglasses with a strap...
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Hibby70
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I get a pack of daily contacts. Only ever wear them when on holiday for theme parks and water parks.

Worth the faff for a couple of weeks but wouldn't wear them normally.
Hibby70 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
I get a pack of daily contacts. Only ever wear them when on holiday for theme parks and water parks.

Worth the faff for a couple of weeks but wouldn't wear them normally.
You shouldn't wear contacts when swimming though.
Old 15 Mar 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

I normally just take mine off & walk around practically blind. My kids find it hilarious they get to play tour guide & often lead me to stuff I didn’t want to do lol.

But add in I’m deaf & have to take my hearing aids out to go on the rides/in the water we’ve decided a water park visit won’t be happening on our next trip as I’m the only adult going this time & it doesn’t feel worth the risk to be blind & deaf while looking after 2 kids & a special needs adult 😞

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lynda__Loo
Proud to wear my Ears

I am blind as a bat without my glasses but when at the water parks and theme parks I wear daily contact lenses.

I know it isn't advised to wear them in water but I just find them much more convenient than having to worry about my glasses and its only for short periods of time.
Lynda__Loo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

I wear my contacts. Glasses are too much of a faff about at theme/water parks. It's fine holding them but I just wouldn't be able to see anything - just a massive blur...