Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 11 Aug 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Tolls and Hire Cars

Hi all, never driven in florida before so apologies for this but is it possible to pre pay for the tolls in an ecard when you collect your hire car? Ours will be with Alamo through Virgin.

Thanks
Trebor1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. Sorry no you can't prepay. However Alamo has one of the better systems so you can do the following:-

1. Pay cash at the toll plaza and have change for any of the unmanned ones where you deposit coins. The attendant will give change for up to a $20 bill.

2. Drive straight through the SunPass lane and pay a max of $19.75 in admin fees for your entire holiday. Or it's $3.95 per usage day but when you hit the $19.75 upper limit thats it and no further charges are applied. Well apart from the tolls!

The tolls are billed to your credit card anything between 1 week and 2 months after you return home.

You dont have to do anything re advising Alamo about what you intend to do. It's entirely your choice.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It would be rude if I didn't post my usual toll plaza photos.

I don't know where you're flying into. I assume that hiring through Virgin you can still be flying into SFB. But let's assume you're flying into MCO and then, depending on where you're staying, you can leave mainly via two options. 528 north or 417 south.

Just in case you choose 417 south (as we do ) this is the first toll you'll see. If you choose to pay cash as Tom says keep right.

You'll need quarters as most of the on/off ramps are unmanned. This one at j2 of 417 needs a dollar

Mick
Old 11 Aug 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
PS to my post. Seems like you can't hire through Virgin for cars at SFB. Maybe they only offer it from their destinations.

So Trebor you must be flying into MCO.

Mick
Old 11 Aug 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I think you can/at least you used to be able to use virgin to book car hire from sfb?
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DiscoD6381 View Post
I think you can/at least you used to be able to use virgin to book car hire from sfb?
Sorry you're right. It didn't like SFB for me but it accepted Sanford. Obviously not set up for IATA codes. I only ever search by IATA.

OP you may be flying into SFB

Mick
Old 11 Aug 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Like you I would use the IATA codes now. Virgin website is poor to be honest. Ever since they added the new fares it won't display the prices in the correct place for me, looked like I had found a bargain upper class price when I was looking last month 😋
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Virgin website is excellent if you know where to look. Some of the best car hire prices out there and for all locations from Alaska to Key West.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Virgin website is excellent if you know where to look. Some of the best car hire prices out there and for all locations from Alaska to Key West.
The prices are brilliant and everything seems to go well. Just don't like the way it displays somethings. Wouldn't stop me booking with them or anything just always find it funny with the amount they spend on ads and image that they skimp on web design. Same with BA, the new website isn't bad but then you end up on the old style site a lot which was fine but feels very disjointed.
Old 12 Aug 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Hi. Sorry no you can't prepay. However Alamo has one of the better systems so you can do the following:-

1. Pay cash at the toll plaza and have change for any of the unmanned ones where you deposit coins. The attendant will give change for up to a $20 bill.

2. Drive straight through the SunPass lane and pay a max of $19.75 in admin fees for your entire holiday. Or it's $3.95 per usage day but when you hit the $19.75 upper limit thats it and no further charges are applied. Well apart from the tolls!

The tolls are billed to your credit card anything between 1 week and 2 months after you return home.

You dont have to do anything re advising Alamo about what you intend to do. It's entirely your choice.
Thanks very much great advice
Trebor1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List