Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Dec 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile Reviews/opinions please Scotland to tampa

Hi.

Ok so 2 options have appeared with BA. fly drive for 4 (2 adults 1 13 year old and 1 10 year old) SUV (edge or similar) all included as is luggage etc.

Edi - lgw - tpa return = £2100
Gla - lgw - tpa return = £2200

We live about 45 mins closer to edinburgh that glasgow but the edinburgh layover on way home is 3.5 hours or 1 hour 20 mins for the glasgow one (is that doable). I'm hesitating because the transatlantic leg seems so long? Weve never done indirect before and never flown BA. All thoughts welcome and any pics of BA economy would be fab. Also, any experiences of cheap upgrades to PE?
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
1hr 20 is absolutely fine.
Glasgow is small.

BA is absolutely fine, big tin can, different logo on the side.

I wouldn't pay more than £70 pp to upgrade to PE, I don't think it's worth it.

Tbh though, by the time you get through Glasgow, get out then drive home, it will probably work out the same amount of time if you'd gone into Edinburgh. Then the cost of fuel etc to drive home.

I'd pick Edinburgh.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I live about the same distance from both airports
For me it be the Edinburgh one an hour and 20 mins is way to tight
By the time you get off the plane do immigration then go landslide and come back through security and all the way to the gate it would be way to tight for me and might even mean an even longer wait
A 20 min delay Us side once cost us either change airport in London
Or a 7 hour wait in the airport
Price wise it looks good
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by claireyfairy8 View Post
1hr 20 is absolutely fine.
Glasgow is small.

BA is absolutely fine, big tin can, different logo on the side.

I wouldn't pay more than £70 pp to upgrade to PE, I don't think it's worth it.

Tbh though, by the time you get through Glasgow, get out then drive home, it will probably work out the same amount of time if you'd gone into Edinburgh. Then the cost of fuel etc to drive home.

I'd pick Edinburgh.
Its strange because I know what you mean about it ending up taking the same amount of time but for hubby, the idea of sitting around in London for 3.5 hours is not going well, he would rather have the shorter layover then drive home from Glasgow. Think I'm mainly worried about the 1 hour 20 mins turnaround in Gatwick, never happy lol
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Why not look at booking a lounge in Gatwick?
More comfortable than sitting in the main bit.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by claireyfairy8 View Post
Why not look at booking a lounge in Gatwick?
More comfortable than sitting in the main bit.
That's a good idea, I'll have a nosy. Struggling to give up such a good price but I think the short turnaround would worry me...off for a google
Old 2 Dec 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I would pick the 3.5 hours layover.

1 hr 20 mins is not that long a time to get off plane, through immigration, re-clear security, have a comfort break &/or grab a drink/snack.
By the time you do all that and then go to your gate when they call you, you may have only 1.5-2 hours to play with.
Any delays could wipe out your 1 hour 20 minutes resulting in a missed connection and a even longer wait util the afternoon/evening flight (if they have room on that flight for 4!)
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mackay
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

We did the Edinburgh Gatwick Tampa this year with a 6month old, 5 and 6 year old and
It wasn’t that bad it took us a while to clear immigration then we had to go out and back through security to departures, I would say the 1 hour 20 turn around would be tight
Mackay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

We have had similar or less connection times on quite a few of our previous flights from GLA to Florida at LGW, either to MCO or Tampa and haven't yet missed a flight. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Minimum connection time is approx 65 minutes, if it wasn't possible BA would not allow you to book it.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

We've done a short layover on the way back via LGW into Glasgow a few times & never had an issue.

Would suggest to bear in mind that your layover could also end up longer as the flights back generally land early.