Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 18, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Definitely! My husband says I have the hearing of a bat, but I literally want to kill him when he eats, snores, breathes... 😂

People rustling sweet bags in cinema are also risking their lives, along with anyone withing a five mile radius daring to make a sound after I have gone to bed.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post

oh dear, I suffer from this quite bad.
Im forever telling my husband off for eating, fidgeting, jiggling, whistling etc. He must think im so miserable but so many noises just drive me mad. I cant have ticking clocks, sometimes watches too.
Once I hear the noise, its like its the only thing I can hear and someone just keeps turning up the volume. Suddenly I get some mad I want to scream and shout out.
Theres been a few times when ive been shopping, ive had to leave the store due to whistlers. Even massive stores, I can just hear them from the other side of the store. oh and the amount of people who tap their fingers on counters-argh!
I really should listen to my music more when im shopping.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I dont even like the sound of a toothbrush on charge, I can hear the electric buzzing, as orevious poster said, clock ticking etc drives me insane.
Thought it was just me!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DadToThree
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Wow, I have never heard of this, but after googling I for sure have it to some degree. The sound of other people eating makes me feel sick. When DH sniffs continuously I want to punch him in the face. When I worked in an office, we had a printer than went Click CLICK CLICK all the time. It drove me absolutely insane and I spent half my day turning it off, the other lady spent all day turning it back on. The noise didn't bother her at all. Thank god I work from home now as I couldn't handle it for much longer.
I cannot sleep with a ticking clock in the room or any type of regular noise. Fidgeting and jiggling drives me mad- again another thing hubby does. Just sit still and be quiet already! (love you really... )
The jiggling of feet annoys me so much.

My sister in law lived with us for 3 years and she did it all the time. I’d quite often arrange the cushions so that they blocked the sight of her doing it.

Also I cannot cope with eating noises at all.
DadToThree is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Does anyone watch RuPaul’s Drag Race? One of the contestants who has become quite famous is Alyssa Edwards and she does a thing called a “tongue pop” which is like a cross between clicking your tongue in disapproval and making a popping sound like Donkey in Shrek 2! My partner will occasionally do it and it makes me feel physically sick and full of rage! It sounds so stupid but I immediately feel panicked and claustrophobic. Luckily I don’t react that way to anything else!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

My DH suffers from this, I honestly didn't think it was an actual thing. He is really bad with eating noises, any noises made with the mouth and sniffing. I have in the past told him to stop being stupid and just ignore it, having read this thread, maybe it isn't that simple and he can't just ignore it.
We also have 2 budgies and sometimes they drive him mad, he has to go into another room.
The only noise that I can't stand is his snoring.
Old 21 Sep 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo82
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dmurrayuk View Post
Yup, I have a few different triggers including the classic 'noisy eaters', but whistling is the biggest trigger for me.

I'm so lucky to have really great colleagues though. In my department 4 out of my 5 co-workers were whistlers, they honestly didn't even realise they were doing it most of the time. After finding out about my misophonia though they have all made a really genuine effort to stop. Occasionally someone will forget and whistle a couple of bars, and then they suddenly remember (or feel my burning glare on them) and apologise!

I do feel bad about it tbh, like I'm spoiling their fun or something, but I honestly could not cope with hearing that every day. As soon as someone starts it's like a switch has been flipped, and every muscle in my body goes tense as a burning rage builds inside

I'm so glad this is actually a recognised disorder now, even if a lot of people still don't get how genuinely debilitating it can be. It's not just about being slightly annoyed and grossed out by someone chewing with their mouth open (because seriously, that's disgusting and everyone should be horrified by it), it's a whole body reaction. It's instant blinding fury and hatred, and your body kicking into immediate 'fight or flight' mode. It's awful, and trying to explain it to people usually makes you sound more than a little unhinged!

So I will remain grateful for my now whistle-free colleagues...and quite possibly never change jobs just in case I'm not so lucky again
YES! Whistling is the worst trigger for me. It’s insanely unbearable. It makes me feel so much better knowing that their are others that feel the same. Lol.
jojo82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Thing1thing2
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Ahh yes! My husband eating certain things. If I see him with a yogurt or ice cream I have to leave the room! 1-he chomps the spoon with his teeth, he may aswell eat that too!
2- he eats it like he’s chewing steak 😳 what the hell! It melts in your mouth there’s nothing to chew! I have to leave the room as I feel myself getting so enraged I could punch him 👊🤯.
Did not even no this was a real thing.
Clocks, snoring, tapping all triggers.
Old 21 Sep 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jojo82 View Post
YES! Whistling is the worst trigger for me. It’s insanely unbearable. It makes me feel so much better knowing that their are others that feel the same. Lol.
Funnily enough whistling doesn't bother me at all. Its small repetitive sounds for me. Sniffing, ticking, clicking, lip smacking. DH fiddles with the TV remote snapping the cover on and off. I have to resist the urge to smack it out of his hands. I'm quite a still and quiet person, fiddly loud people drive me mad! So why did I marry one, lol...
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
DH has this - I go to the car to eat an apple - had "the look" too many times!
Oh god apples and the worst... peaches! They need chewing and slurping if they’re juicy. Peaches aren’t allowed in our house lol

My partners parents suck on extra strong mints, all the time and especially on car journeys, we can’t have the radio on if they’re in the back (another story) so it’s just horrific