Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lpf
Dibbing with Tink

No school for autistic ds8...

As dibbers are from all over the country, if you know of somewhere that might be a good fit, please let me know as I think we’re going to have to move to find ds a school 😢

He’s 8 and recently diagnosed with autism. He’s also profoundly gifted with an exceptionally high IQ. Struggles with sensory, social and emotional areas which hinder his progress with learning and living. He is explosive and has been on fixed term exclusions from school regularly. He doesn’t attend at all now (since October) as they wouldn’t include him in the school and he had a mental breakdown really because he was so lonely and isolated and couldn’t understand why everything was going wrong.

He’s at home and not being educated at all and is desperate to go to school as he’s lonely and bored. We’re in Devon where options are limited but all schools have said no, they can’t meet his needs. Even austism schools. I’m devastated. They’ve made him out to be a monster and a leper that shouldn’t be around others.

It looks like we’ll have to move to where a school does want him. If any lovely dibbers know of an autism school for explosive but bright children, please let me know. Home ed is not possible or appropriate long term.

Signed, a sad, weary mummy of an even more sad 8yo who has never had a friend, a play date, anyone willing to spend time with him who now thinks there’s something wrong with him 😢😢
Easter 2023 in planning
Lpf is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Poor baby. ❤

Maybe contact your MP?
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m really sorry to hear that. There are a few schools near me I know of, but one Mark College May fit well. I think your son is too young at the moment (it’s 10+) but may be worth speaking to them if you think it’s good.

It’s in Highbridge, Somerset so not far from Devon and I know they do weekly boarding if a move wasn’t a possibility.

priorychildrensservices... llege-somerset
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

In Wales our half-term is next week. If you fancy a road trip I’ve got three children who would love to have a play date with you both!
It sounds like you’re really being let down by the system. Keep fighting to get what you deserve.
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Gosh this is heartbreaking and so very wrong! Poor little one. Have you called the National Autistic Society for advice? They will be able to help I’m sure. Keep fighting for your beautiful boy.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 19, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Surly the education authority have a duty to provide his education, did he have one to one support at these schools? I presume senco are involved? Bless his heart, I hope you find somewhere suitable for him to go where he can make some friends and be accepted, and help him get the best out of his life x
Old 20 Feb 19, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

This is heartbreaking to read.
I am so sorry you’re feeling this way and that your son is being treated this way.
I don’t really have any advice but I would echo the comments above re contacting the national autistic society. Surely they can offer advice and support?
I have a friend in a similar position and know how upsetting and emotionally exhausting it is.

Would smaller classes benefit your son of would he be adverse to more interaction?

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Forget the schools go direct to the LEA they have a legal obligation to provide suitable education. I'd also suggest you give MIND a call for advice too. M.P. Is also a great idea.

We were very fortunate with primary with not just support but more importantly the will to help. The first two years of secondary were awful but I eventually got him moved to a private school with very small classes and the difference in him was amazing.

There is support out there but you have to fight.

I do understand the exhaustion and frustration . Find your local parent's support group too , not just to get support from parents who have or are walking the same path but also to find out where their kids go and what is genuinely available ... some resources are just like a well kept secret.

Yes I too have walked this path !

Edited at 12:27 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

My friends son has started at breckenbrough.uk/ after a tough few years. He seems happier there. But it’s pretty far from Devon.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 19, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Does your son have an EHCP in place?

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List