Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Apr 20, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Books - Its like I'm on holiday

In order to get me through this (word deleted) time of our lives, I find some sort of routine is required. Each evening I retire the conservatory and read for an hour or so. The books I have got through and now piled up ready to go to the charity shop when we get out of this (another word deleted) time.

It's a bit like being on holiday. In normal times I never really get a chance to read. Life takes over. I will have a book on the go on the ipad so I can read it in bed without disturbing the other person in bed with me (its been the same person for 30+ years now which I am told by them is a good thing). However in these lockdown days that collection in the cupboard is being gone through.

Lots of variety. I enjoy non-fiction biographries and tend to go through many books on the same subject. For some reason I had a lot of books to be read about Everest and the Himalayas. No real idea why as I'm unfit and the top of step ladders cause me anxiety. However they have without exception been excellent. Couple of really interesting ones about K2. Then there were some very good walking in South American ones.

Fictionwise I do enjoy a good cop/murder thingy and can rattle through them. Really enjoyed I am Pilgrim. Might be 800 plus pages but it was a real pageturner.

I have prebought a signed copy of the next Joel Dicker book which should be delivered soon. Love his books.

the new John Grisham was out yesterday so will try to find it. Found his recent ones a bit hit or miss.

Its weird. I hate this time of our lifes but am getting to read more than normal.
Dinglebert is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’m reading a lot more too. Got out of the habit of it a few years back and last year set myself a challenge to read a book a month and this year upped it to 25. On to my 15th already and it’s been good to get back into it. I use an app called Good Reads to keep track of what I read

I’ll read all sorts really. Ones Ive really enjoyed this year are ‘Heroes’ by Stephen Fry, ‘The Hen who dreamed she could fly’ and ‘Norse Mythology’ by Neil Gaiman but my favourite so far this year was called ‘Five’ and was about the lives and history of the five victims of Jack the Ripper, a really good read and one I’d definitely recommend.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Me too, I used to be an avid reader until work and kids made books mainly a holiday treat. I signed up to Goodreads annual challenge and beat my goal of 40 books last year. Smashing it this year and already 15 books over current target.

I joined kindle unlimited for a free 2 month trial this week to keep me in new reading material. I like escaping into Chicklit, some good sci-fi, autobiographies and anything that educates as well as entertains.

I downloaded an Andrew Mayne amazon first reads recently. Not read any of his before and really enjoyed it, so much so I've just started his Naturalist series.

Edited at 11:31 PM.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 20, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

When I got public transport i used to read a couple of books a week but a change in job and smartphone use has really slowed down my reading dramatically.

I always read John Grisham but have to agree the last few haven’t been as good. I will still have to read it though.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Rediscovering childhood classics like Jane Austin the Bronte sisters Lewis Carol
Alice in wonderland / through the looking glass are really dark if you read them as a adult and have dabbled in his back story
The whole of the little Women series Anne of Green gables
And a good few Scottish Classics thrown in
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Angcap
Getting Excited

Just joined my local library online. Couldn’t believe how many magazines, newspapers and audiobooks I can check out. All for FREE. The magazine section is very comprehensive, very impressed.
Angcap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
In order to get me through this (word deleted) time of our lives, I find some sort of routine is required. Each evening I retire the conservatory and read for an hour or so. The books I have got through and now piled up ready to go to the charity shop when we get out of this (another word deleted) time.

It's a bit like being on holiday. In normal times I never really get a chance to read. Life takes over. I will have a book on the go on the ipad so I can read it in bed without disturbing the other person in bed with me (its been the same person for 30+ years now which I am told by them is a good thing). However in these lockdown days that collection in the cupboard is being gone through.

Lots of variety. I enjoy non-fiction biographries and tend to go through many books on the same subject. For some reason I had a lot of books to be read about Everest and the Himalayas. No real idea why as I'm unfit and the top of step ladders cause me anxiety. However they have without exception been excellent. Couple of really interesting ones about K2. Then there were some very good walking in South American ones.

Fictionwise I do enjoy a good cop/murder thingy and can rattle through them. Really enjoyed I am Pilgrim. Might be 800 plus pages but it was a real pageturner.

I have prebought a signed copy of the next Joel Dicker book which should be delivered soon. Love his books.

the new John Grisham was out yesterday so will try to find it. Found his recent ones a bit hit or miss.

Its weird. I hate this time of our lifes but am getting to read more than normal.
I Am Pilgrim! My favourite book of the last 10 years!

Clancy, Cussler, Lee Child, Patterson all keeping me going.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List