Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Jul 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Col&Ali View Post
Don't forget everyone that some bank accounts include 4 years worth of railcards My 2 definitely benefitted from these
And if not, you can get a railcard for £10 worth of tesco tokens.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Last summer wasn't fun, I was regularly in tears and tried to put it to the back of my mind. Moving day wasn't too bad, josh went away oyt with flatmates, we went to a hotel in Warrington. All seemed fine until we were grabbing breakfast in mcds when he phoned, all upset. He set me off so we ended up back in manchester for the Sunday afternoon, got dinner and heafed home. He was very homesick and ended up home for the 1st weekend, aftwr he returned he settled in, and i visited him throughout the short year, thanks Covid xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by shirley View Post
Last summer wasn't fun, I was regularly in tears and tried to put it to the back of my mind. Moving day wasn't too bad, josh went away oyt with flatmates, we went to a hotel in Warrington. All seemed fine until we were grabbing breakfast in mcds when he phoned, all upset. He set me off so we ended up back in manchester for the Sunday afternoon, got dinner and heafed home. He was very homesick and ended up home for the 1st weekend, aftwr he returned he settled in, and i visited him throughout the short year, thanks Covid xx
I think most of them had a little wobble, even for the most confident teenagers, it’s a big move and change.

They all did really well though, especially when you consider how difficult the last few months in uni turned out for them
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Thanks all, great tips!
I've sent son off to look at accounts, he's currently with Nationwide so he is off to see if it is worth changing.
He will be at St Andrews which doesn't have a train station, so am wondering about bus passes at the moment.

We've bought a few bits already. He is very excited to go, I'm quite sad - though I hide it.
I wonder how you parents managed last year if you were very sad about them leaving? (I am! )

All getting so real now...
I was a mess leading up to her moving away!

I was not too bad on Moving Day as we left her with her new flat mates and she went out, so we had no tearful goodbyes from her.

I found it worse when she came home for reading week or Christmas and she then went back.

It did get easier, but now that she is about to move back to Lincoln to her shared house after 4 unexpected months at home, I am having all those feelings again.

It helps that she s excited to go back - she has really missed her friends.

Everyone was very helpful and supportive on here last year and throughout their short time there.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
Luckily she won’t need one until Year 2 so it can be part of her Christmas present. What gets me are the croc lookalikes for nearly £50!
They know how to extract the cash eh!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing your experiences on how you were feeling about them going away, it really helps me.
I'm sorry you were sad, of course, but it's reassuring to know I'm not alone feeling like this.
I'm glad your chicks all settled in

I do have good days, thankfully more of them than bad and I know it's just normal anyway.
He is so excited to go away, he's a gregarious sort who makes friends easily and he also intends to join sports teams etc so I suppose I should feel his excitement rather than my sadness at him 'leaving'.

He is only and hour and 20 away from us, could have gone to edinburgh and stayed at home but fell in love with St Andrews as a place and a medical school so I can't stand in his way.

I think I just need to pull up my big girl panties and be happy for him...

You guys on this thread have all this first year stuff behind you now. Good luck to your students for this coming year!

Edited at 07:23 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by ChoppyGirl View Post
We were thinking of giving our DD £50 a week. Hopefully we are not tempting fate with her results but we have bought the stuff she will need for her room and kitchen stuff already, mainly from IKEA. All apart from bedding as we don’t know what size room she will get allocated yet. As she is doing vet med she will also need some ppa which will cost about £300 which we will buy.

The maintenance grand won’t cover the accommodation costs so we will make up the difference.

We have had a savings tin in the go to hopefully cover freshers but not sure that will go ahead now but it’s extra spends anyway.

We pay for her phone and will probably buy her a bus pass so she can easily get to town and the other campus.

£50 a week should hopefully be more than enough as we will also do a ‘big shop’ when we get there.
Big shop when you get there.

My opinion moving in day is a nightmare in nearby supermarkets.

My strong advice find nearest mega supermarket and book a click and.collect spot as soon as they open and you know your day / time. Do your ordering and thinking online before you get there and just pick up any odds n ends when actually shopping.

Place is full of parents all doing a big shop.and shelves quite denuded for common things

Lots of people.also buying stuff like.duvet sets and duvets and kettles etc from the local supermarket at the same time so the the car isn't too full !

Don't buy too many kitchen doings though. Best to all agree to chip in 30-40 and get it between you when you get there or you end up with 6 toastie makers and no microwave or grater.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jul 20, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

We gave Georgia the staples to move in with for her groceries, pasta, coffee, tins tomatoes, herbs etc but we also gave her a £50 Sainsbury’s gift voucher (as it was her nearest supermarket). That set her up for her first big shop and actually lasted her 2-3 weeks.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Big shop when you get there.

My opinion moving in day is a nightmare in nearby supermarkets.

My strong advice find nearest mega supermarket and book a click and.collect spot as soon as they open and you know your day / time. Do your ordering and thinking online before you get there and just pick up any odds n ends when actually shopping.

Place is full of parents all doing a big shop.and shelves quite denuded for common things

Lots of people.also buying stuff like.duvet sets and duvets and kettles etc from the local supermarket at the same time so the the car isn't too full !

Don't buy too many kitchen doings though. Best to all agree to chip in 30-40 and get it between you when you get there or you end up with 6 toastie makers and no microwave or grater.
That is a good tip about the Click and Collect. We went and did a Morrisons shop after she had unpacked sad the shelves were bare! No pasta, no pasta sauces, no tins, no orange juice. I really wasn't expecting it to be that bad!

We ordered her duvet and pillows from Argos in Lincoln and my husband went out and picked them up while we were unpacking, so it saved a bit of space in the car.

Wilko was heaving on moving in day with parents and students buying all the essentials. It was quite funny - they must do most of their business in university towns on the moving in weekends.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Joshs rental company are looking for them to pay half rent this month, but the flat isnt ready for some of them to move into, some have jobs in manchester so keen to get back to work. I can see the point if they could move in, but the agent keeps saying loads have still to be done until they can give keys, any thoughts xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List