Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 May 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
The old plane argument is really a non argument if you fly with the likes of BA and Virgin.
These planes have hardly any original parts on them, the cat checks, replace everything that shows even the least amount off corrosion or wear, the paint is stripped off to make a complete check of the airframe.

Younger aircraft who spend their tine flying short hops and bear the sea are more likely to suffer corrosion!
Not totally true. The life of an airframe is also calculated in takeoff/landing cycles , pressurisation cycles and airframe hours. Fatigue is cumulative. Airframes eventually fatigue and any manufacturer is very conscious of lead aircraft in cycles and hours. It is a good assumption that an aircraft that flies long haul will have less ‘cycles’ and thus last longer than one that flies several short hauls every day. They also used to have one in rams being repeatedly put through these cycles in order to ascertain what would likely happen ‘further down the line’, although I do not think this occurs any longer.
If an airframe is certified as ‘safe to fly’, then I would happily get in it, regardless of age in years, which is just as well as I am a retired aircraft technician with the Army and some of our airframes were ancient!
My only issue with older aircraft is that unless upgraded, the cabins can become tatty and battered. Unless updated, IFE can be poor or even non existent. Clearly BA and VA stay on top of both.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 19, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
braby
Serious Dibber

Just having a look at BA's fleet of 747's, the oldest one is 29 years old, it flew one of the MIA routes 2 days ago. Never have got the argument of flying BA/VA because the aircraft are better.
braby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
hardly
Excited about Disney

It’s just ageism.
hardly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Rightly or wrongly people feel happier flying with a name they know, and in my case, a product I am very familiar with. I've never heard of Hi Fly, I have one daughter who is on the autistic spectrum and another who is a very poor traveller/flyer. Pitching up to a plane from an unknown company would cause issues, and might have a negative effect on the holiday, especially with eldest daughter stressing about the flight home (the one she really suffers on). It took me three months to convince one of my daughters that Norwegian was a good option!
I fail to understand why everyone is getting uptight about who other people choose to fly with. As I said in a previous post, the cost of flights for our family of five is the majority of the expense, therefore I reserve the right to vote with my wallet.

Y'all take care
Nick
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
MrIncredible
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

You talk like Norwegian had a choice.

What do you think they should have done?
MrIncredible is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Segdude View Post
Rightly or wrongly people feel happier flying with a name they know, and in my case, a product I am very familiar with. I've never heard of Hi Fly, I have one daughter who is on the autistic spectrum and another who is a very poor traveller/flyer. Pitching up to a plane from an unknown company would cause issues, and might have a negative effect on the holiday, especially with eldest daughter stressing about the flight home (the one she really suffers on). It took me three months to convince one of my daughters that Norwegian was a good option!
I fail to understand why everyone is getting uptight about who other people choose to fly with. As I said in a previous post, the cost of flights for our family of five is the majority of the expense, therefore I reserve the right to vote with my wallet.
I am with you I am fussy about who I fly with my wife more so who does not want to fly economy and we usually get the slightly enhanced economy that the US carriers offer.

What are you going to do ? How did you sell Norwegian to your daughter over an airline she is happier with ?

Personally Norwegian is an airline we would not choose to fly with regardless of the price but we would if we knew they were using th hi fli tin as they look far better. Unlike others we also try to avoid Virgin if flying economy and BA as well, we will fly with them but not by choice we like American, Air New Zealand, United and Swiss these are our choices we will change them if it suits and it affects no one else.

My opinion of Norwegian has gone up by offering refunds when I assume they don’t have to under t’s and c’s.

Edited at 09:45 PM.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Segdude View Post
I suppose it a bit of brand association. VA have 4 leased ex Air Berlin A330s in their fleet just now. I’d bet there would be a lot of objections if they still sported Air Berlin livery outside, but they have paid to have them liveried as VA so most folks won’t even know that they aren’t VA fleet.

I suppose Norwegian could have done the same with their leased A340 from Hi Fly. Paint it in Norwegian colours and most folk would just assume it’s a plane change.

But I respect your decision as it is your family and your choice, so regardless of what is said, what you do is right.

It also shows differences in approaches to flying. We are off to Corfu in August from Aberdeen and we don’t even know ( or care) which type of plane we are on, as long as it gets us there.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jnc2345
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I am with you I am fussy about who I fly with my wife more so who does not want to fly economy and we usually get the slightly enhanced economy that the US carriers offer.

What are you going to do ? How did you sell Norwegian to your daughter over an airline she is happier with ?

Personally Norwegian is an airline we would not choose to fly with regardless of the price but we would if we knew they were using th hi fli tin as they look far better. Unlike others we also try to avoid Virgin if flying economy and BA as well, we will fly with them but not by choice we like American, Air New Zealand, United and Swiss these are our choices we will change them if it suits and it affects no one else.

My opinion of Norwegian has gone up by offering refunds when I assume they don’t have to under t’s and c’s.
They don't offer refunds anymore, as of a couple weeks ago.
Port Orleans French Quarter September 2019
Caribbean Beach January 2021
jnc2345 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I suppose Norwegian could have done the same with their leased A340 from Hi Fly. Paint it in Norwegian colours and most folk would just assume it’s a plane
No they couldn’t. It’s a wet lease so Hi-Fly crew and service not Norwegian, very different to what Virgin have done with the ex Air Berlin planes.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Segdude
Very Serious Dibber

Segdude's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post

We reassured her that the aircraft were better equipped inside, showed her numerous positive reviews of Norwegian PE on You Tube and we also got my friend to talk to her who is a pilot (ironically flies Dreamliners with BA). She trusts Sam, and has been flying with him in a small Cessna etc. Eldest poor traveller daughter does not care who she flies with, as long as it's not BA! She suffers no matter what the plane.
One of the kids described going "back" to Virgin as putting on comfy slippers.
I was a little concerned about Norwegian having an issue as I'd heard they don't resolve things quickly, however, I cannot fault them in their dealings with me and I'd be more than happy to use them in the future.

Y'all take care
Nick

Edited at 12:18 PM.
Segdude is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List