Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 14, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
fd1972uk
Imagineer

fd1972uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 25

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 57
I kinda see it like Stu too.

I loved the old rides, and whilst I can see how people mention keeping up with the times, I loved the old rides, the shows, that seemed to have you immersed in the movie, had more of that feel to it. Like said with Hitchcock Show, Stunt show at the end.

Having a little girl, I'm kinda siding that these parks ain't as magical for the 'whole family experience' IMHO, I think Universal is kinda more adulty and a lot of 'boy stuff' for me. Think Disney has more for all the family and ages too.

Universal for me is more fast paced, thrill rides (Alton Towers of the West), for me Disney just offers more, just look at end of night spectaculars, Cinematic Experience vs Wishes...

But we're all different though.

FD
DLP Oct'14, Sequoia Lodge
ASM, HRH, AOA, DC BAH FL Oct'17
fd1972uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
americanv8
Apprentice Imagineer

americanv8's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I also remember the good old days of Universal, and watching IOA being built! however they've far from lost the plot, they've evolved and moved with the times. Its nice to reminisce about the old days and the provided some quality entertainment, however attractions based around movies from 20/30 years ago just wouldn't work this day & age (ET included, that should be next on the chopping block).
You have to listen to the audience, and in 2014 everything is digital, 3D, interactive, immersive, etc
Very few films have the staying power of say the Star Wars saga which will continue for evermore
americanv8 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

I agree with Stu. It was a film studio park showing you not only how they did some of the big films and letting you see the props. But also letting you become part of the show in the audience or even taking part if lucky. With a true back lot tour with filming actually going on some days.
But those days have gone and now its a theme park with ride themed on different films.

But the same can be said for Hollywood studios. But at least Universal are adding new rides and experiences.
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

What started to kill a Universal for us was the lines. We are stuck with school holidays and we had a few visits where we trudged round for hours and barely did anything. For some reason, Universal Express never worked for us like Fastpass, maybe because the hotel front of line privilege altered the queue patterns. We have sprung for Express Plus a couple of times and stayed onsite once, which was great, but it's got to where we felt we had to pay through the nose to have a good day. Maybe we've just been unlucky and picked bad days. Now we'll only do Universal if we stay onsite and are hoping to head there for 2 or 3 days at the start of our holiday in 2017. I do like the rides, but I don't think they have the sense of family that Disney have or the sense of immersion. I can go to the Disney parks, go on nothing and still have had a lovely day, but Universal is very much ride to ride for us. Having said they, we haven't done Harry a Potter yet, so that might change our view.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
US is still one of my favourites and have been going since around 1993. I find it a lot more commercial now but also feel Disney has too. I particularly miss the movie music they played when you walked in years ago before citywalk and IOA were created and the atmosphere of the park. I used to love the Hitchcock area and the audience participation in here, also back to the future, jaws and kong. TBH I could take or leave the Harry Potter areas and it dies seem to be taking over the parks a bit but also accept they need to keep the parks up to date . I wonder how long before they remove ET ...
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
fishfood
Apprentice Imagineer

fishfood's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
i love universal studios. i've only been twice and to be honest never really associated it as a working studio!

the first time i went i couldnt wait to ride on jaws...my favorite film of all time..queued up did the ride and then propmtly hid in the toilets and had a little "cry". for me it was that good.

went again in 2010 and we did halloween horror. i cant imagine the time, money and effort that goes in to putting this on. it was the highlight of our trip.

cant wait to go again to see the harry potter bit... i'm not a fan of HP but i know i will be seeing something that could quite easily be out of the movies.
fishfood is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
First of all what an eloquent post, well written and presented.

I think I first noticed the change when they stopped the show that was held on the small lagoon on an evening.
I always loved walking along Amity but to get rid of Jaws? though I'm led to believe it was expensive to maintain and the obvious choice for the HP expansion.
No idea what The Fear Factor had to do with anything either.
Hated HHN 2012, and vowed not to do another one.

To me it just doesn't have the flow that it used to, especially since they removed The Golden Girls house.
I would never miss out on going but I wish there was more "studio' to it
Old 1 Aug 14, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

To survive these theme parks have to keep moving forward. Most kids don't have a clue what back to the future is. Even the crowds at terminator are nothing compared to 10 or 20 years ago. The new generation are not interested. They love the Simpsons and despicable me etc. they are more interested in rides using cgi technology than hairy or rubber animatronics. I'm sure in 20 years from now there will be more changes.
However a theme park of old classic rides would be interesting. Maybe a list of extinct rides from all orlando theme parks could be compiled .
My choice would be the cable car at disney.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I didn't realise the Golden Girls house had gone. What upset me was years ago I saw lots of film stuff like the ship from Flight of the Navigator and it amazed me. Visiting a few years later I saw the ship again but it was pushed to the side all dilapidated and uncared for.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 14, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

I'm firmly in the Universal Studios and IOA camp! I love them both and they beat Disney hands down in my opinion :-)
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List