Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 26 Sep 16, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
Erm... so if the first company were fictional then how did the new company know you had a booking? Not being funny but even if you speak to the 'owner' then how do you even know it's the owner!?
The first company were not fictional as such... They had a big website, reviews and decent standing from what i could tell. The new company tell me that she used to work for them and that she left because the owner was dodgy and that is how she knows all the owners of the properties, because she used to work with them all.

I know as i type this and read it back it sounds dodgy as sin! At the same time, it isnt beyond the realms of reality.

I have to look at my options.. I can see how it pans out with this property without additional cost or i can run away and spend thousands more dollars on somewhere else to stay with a hope that i get the money back from cc company.. if i dont I am screwed.

None of it is 'good' here.. I just have to work out what the best option is from now.
irvsax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The problem is that there is nothing to stop the supposed new company being a continuance of the con.

Homeaway has had an issue before with dummy pages and payment being taken by persons with no connection to the property.

We are not going to talk about what has gone before but I have alarm bells.

Now if the management company has run off with the money of the owner then yes the best case is that the owner feels morally obliged to continue the letting as you have made payment and satisfied your end of the contract.

However it could also be that either the owner of the supposed new management company were all part of the original management company and he has been paid and is now trying to get more money out of you for the same letting or worse still the owner has no idea about the letting and you are throwing good money after bad.

I would insist on 2 things firstly contact details for the owner. He may be a pilot for BA but should be contactable. The other is I would insist on crime number of similar and speak to the police to ensure this "fraud" is being investigated as technically you are a witness to pertinent details.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
Something is striking me as a bit odd here. Who informed you? There's nothing in the local papers or anything on other forums about people being let down. Are the police involved, do you have a case number? Have you only heard from the owner?
I can't emphasise enough how important finding out this ^^^ information would be to me (I lived in America for 20+ years, I am a citizen).

There should definitely be a contact point/person with the police with whom you can liaise. Fraud = police involvement.

Sorry I can't be of more help but this is info I would DEFINITELY want to know before I left Europe.

Good Luck!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
The problem is that there is nothing to stop the supposed new company being a continuance of the con.

Homeaway has had an issue before with dummy pages and payment being taken by persons with no connection to the property.

We are not going to talk about what has gone before but I have alarm bells.

Now if the management company has run off with the money of the owner then yes the best case is that the owner feels morally obliged to continue the letting as you have made payment and satisfied your end of the contract.

However it could also be that either the owner of the supposed new management company were all part of the original management company and he has been paid and is now trying to get more money out of you for the same letting or worse still the owner has no idea about the letting and you are throwing good money after bad.

I would insist on 2 things firstly contact details for the owner. He may be a pilot for BA but should be contactable. The other is I would insist on crime number of similar and speak to the police to ensure this "fraud" is being investigated as technically you are a witness to pertinent details.
Yeah. I have those alarm bells intruly do. I think you are right about getting that info to just feel a bit better about it all.

One thing is that I will not be paying a penny to anyone unless on site and happy with everything. Even then I am reluctant but if it is just a cleaning fee then so be it. Can probably live without pool heat I would think and maybe even be then I will know I am getting money back from cc company to know the cost will be covered.

I do think that if this was still part of the con then they would be aiming for more than a small cleaning fee and wouldn't be worth shutting down the other companies website etc (which was fairly substantial)
irvsax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post

The cost of a website is about $9.99 a month, this sounds like a really sophisticated scam. Alarm bells are ringing everywhere. It will be interesting to see what happens when you actually show up at the house and whether or not your actually have the reservation you think you have.

Be at least prepared with funds to go somewhere else if necessary.
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
The cost of a website is about $9.99 a month, this sounds like a really sophisticated scam. Alarm bells are ringing everywhere. It will be interesting to see what happens when you actually show up at the house and whether or not your actually have the reservation you think you have.

Be at least prepared with funds to go somewhere else if necessary.
Oh yeah of course. What I mean is that compared to many independent Florida villa websites this one was quite sophisticated and had a large portfolio. Even in dealing with them everyone was very responsive and stuff. They had been around a long time as well and had not just appeared from nowhere (i did check them out before booking as was a bit anxious about dealing with them direct).

I think that's it... I will get a new contract for the house with this new place and will see what happens. I can't lose any more money on it so I suppose can't hurt to see how it pans out.
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Don't sign any new contract or anything like that.
Have you reported it to the Police in the relevant county in Orlando?
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post

How horrific and stressful for you, please let us know how it goes.
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by mancdisney View Post
Don't sign any new contract or anything like that.
Have you reported it to the Police in the relevant county in Orlando?
Even if that contract says I don't have to pay anything? Would such a contract not benefit me?

Sorry, don't mean to be argumentative. I just thought that a new agreement would provide me with protection. Better than turning up with no rights?

Can I report it over there if I am uk based?
Old 26 Sep 16, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
irvsax
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by FairyNuff View Post
How horrific and stressful for you, please let us know how it goes.
Yeah. It's not ideal. I like to think I am a positive person... best case scenario is that the property will actually be bought up to spec and cleaned properly etc now (last review on home away was bad but all others before were good) and it has been some sort of blessing in disguise.

Fingers crossed.. it could just as easily get worse!

Thank you though... I will keep you posted.
Closed Thread