Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Old 27 Mar 17, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Hello, Lizzie:

We live in the (very) rural Vaucluse for several months of the year. You will find the prices at the American supermarkets compare pretty evenly to Leclerc/Auchan.

Prices are significantly higher than Tesco/ASDA - but you will notice it less coming from France, I promise you.

Differences (as noted above) would be bread (buy this at the in-store bakery, as in France - much cheaper than buying sliced) and fruit/veg.

We shop at Publix for fresh bits - the "deli" counter (again, as above) will have meats that compare very favorably to what we get in France (go with Boar's Head) - though the cheese selection is pretty grim. There will be some local cheeses *somewhere* in-store that are fresh and tasty - ask for them. We ended up with a delicious local chèvre.

We don't tend to buy lots of "packaged" food (except DH's cereal) - our total food bill for a family of five (four adults and my petit gourmand (aged 9)) - for a week - was $225. That included the makings of a posh steak dinner and 16 bottles of craft (for that read: très chere) beer.

Edited at 07:54 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Originally Posted by Soexcited2804 View Post
I wonder if there is an Aldi near us at the Encantada resort we are getting really worried about the cost of food and we have days till we go does anybody know please?
From Encantada the nearest Aldi is 13 miles away, the nearest Walmart is 4 miles. We visited the Aldi opposite the Walmart on Hwy 192/Vine st and unless you are passing I don't think it is worth the trip. The Aldi did not have the selection we have here in the UK it was very basic, like Aldi was when it first opened over here many years ago. We stocked up on basics but still needed to visit Walmart and Publix. If you are eating all meals in the villa for a 2 week stay then a trip to Aldi may be worth it but if you are just planning breakfasts, a few lunches or evening meals, snacks /drinks then Walmart should be fine for your first big shop. Publix at Orange Lake is very close to Encantada and on the opposite side of the road there is Target on Rolling Oaks Commons and the Dollar store which sells some basic groceries. The best ways to save money on groceries are
1. If there are any English brands which you must have take them with you (if allowed by customs). English brands are very expensive in all supermarkets.
2. If there is room in your case on the way out take a few other food items you may need plus a few dishwasher tabs, washing powder etc if not provided by the villa.
3. Try to take your time in Walmart and look for offers, they are still there. Most of Walmart own brands are good, just like at home avoid the "brand" names unless you need a particular favourite. Go without the kids so your trolley is not full of treats.

Don't worry prices have risen but it is still cheaper to eat in the villa than eating out.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post

I still reckon the Clermont one on the us27 would be quicker and it is near a much better and cleaner and none touristy Walmart. Just my opinion, we always use both these store when staying on the 192 West as said road can be a nightmare!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 17, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzieinfrance
I want to go now!

Mobile

Thank you.

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Hello, Lizzie:

We live in the (very) rural Vaucluse for several months of the year. You will find the prices at the American supermarkets compare pretty evenly to Leclerc/Auchan.

Prices are significantly higher than Tesco/ASDA - but you will notice it less coming from France, I promise you.

Differences (as noted above) would be bread (buy this at the in-store bakery, as in France - much cheaper than buying sliced) and fruit/veg.

We shop at Publix for fresh bits - the "deli" counter (again, as above) will have meats that compare very favorably to what we get in France (go with Boar's Head) - though the cheese selection is pretty grim. There will be some local cheeses *somewhere* in-store that are fresh and tasty - ask for them. We ended up with a delicious local chèvre.

We don't tend to buy lots of "packaged" food (except DH's cereal) - our total food bill for a family of five (four adults and my petit gourmand (aged 9)) - for a week - was $225. That included the makings of a posh steak dinner and 16 bottles of craft (for that read: très chere) beer.
Lizzieinfrance is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List