Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 22, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Bondy007 View Post
Smart meter - yes.
Additional digital display to stress you out everytime you turn a light on... - no.

There are no cons to a smart meter. One big fat positive - no estimated bill.

Nobody needs a digital display to figure out how to save money on gas/electricity.
Wise words and so true.

Ours got consigned to a cupboard somewhere within an hour of the smart meters being done. That's where it's staying.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

We had one a few years back, the possible savings in reduced bills by turning things off, were far outweighed but the potential divorce bill as DW was not happy with my constant reminder to turn things off. DW binned it without any discussion
Old 22 Jan 22, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Smart meter - yes.
Additional digital display to stress you out everytime you turn a light on... - no.

Nobody needs a digital display to figure out how to save money on gas/electricity.
I'm sick of hearing how much you can save by using a smart meter, you can save electricity (and Gas) with a smart head, that's all you need, it's saves me a fortune, everyone should have one 😉
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I'm sick of hearing how much you can save by using a smart meter, you can save electricity (and Gas) with a smart head, that's all you need, it's saves me a fortune, everyone should have one 😉
I agree Linda. I also agree with Bondy. But there has been a lot of research which shows that many people don’t have the nous to work it out by themselves.

The costs to suppliers of this programme have been extortionate (and of course those costs end up getting passed to consumers, one way or another). I hope the government’s strategy proves to have been the right one.

Smart meter - yes.

Old 22 Jan 22, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

We’ve had one for a few years and have changed suppliers several times. Only the original supplier seemed to get the meter readings directly. The benefit for me is that I don’t have to go outside to get the meter readings each month.

The current supplier must be linked somehow as it’s showing the daily cost, which we haven’t always had. It’s really highlighted the increase in cost this year but has it ever changed how much we use - no.
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Wise words and so true.

Ours got consigned to a cupboard somewhere within an hour of the smart meters being done. That's where it's staying.
When we had our smart meters installed the digital display never worked, apparently a known issue with the type of meter installed and the display the company where sending out! But they were still giving you the display - that never worked nor will ever work... Go figure!
Old 22 Jan 22, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

There are surely some cons to the environment in removing perfectly good meters well within their lifespan and replacing them with meters shipped from India and China, shipping the old meters back there where we use their cheap labour to recycle most of it, burn off the plastic coatings on the wires with fewer environmental protocols than we would tolerate in this country, and bury the rest.

Perhaps when meters require replacement anyway, then the only option available will be smart meters, I shall wait.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

We are supposed to get a smart meter as part of the deal / tariff with E-on. We booked to get it done and they cancelled on the morning of the appointment. Not sure I want one as hear lots of stories about how people have problems with how accurate they are, get over charged etc. But know if I fob them off too much longer they have threatened to switch our tariff.

Edited at 01:28 PM.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
There are surely some cons to the environment in removing perfectly good meters well within their lifespan and replacing them with meters shipped from India and China, shipping the old meters back there where we use their cheap labour to recycle most of it, burn off the plastic coatings on the wires with fewer environmental protocols than we would tolerate in this country, and bury the rest.

Perhaps when meters require replacement anyway, then the only option available will be smart meters, I shall wait.
I agree with you completely. I had no choice though as when I signed up for a 3 yr fixed price deal with EDF a smart meter was part of the contract.

Then I had to have a new gas pipe under my drive and thus a new meter so it was sensible to have a smart meter for that as well.

Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered as both meters worked fine.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 22, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Smart meters are just smoke and mirrors, I've got one. I bought into the hype. However, I get up in the morning and turn on the tv, the kettle, toaster. At the same time the freezer kicks in, the fridge kicks in, I need to iron a shirt but I put the washing machine on first then the meter shoots into the red. If I do these things individually through the day it mostly stays out of the red but I have still used the same amount of electricity. The more gadgets that are used then the more power is used and the bill goes up. Why do I need a machine to tell me that?