Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Apr 17, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

The Grand Tour...Day 14 Honolulu to LA

We had a bit of a lie in today, I do begrudge it really when we are staying in such a beautiful place. I actually went and sat on the balcony and watched the early surfers whilst listening to the waves, such a relaxing sound.

Once everyone was up we walked to Denny’s, the food was great as usual but the service was very slow… The prices here were higher compared to LA at least $3 more per dish. During breakfast DS had said he really wanted to hire a surfboard and go and ‘catch some waves’ so that’s where we headed next.

Think it was about $25 for two hours, it was already so hot and it was only 10.30am so think the time he has the board for is plenty! We all chilled out on the beach whilst DH and the kids shared the board, now one thing to remember here is we were smothered in sun cream however DS (redhead) was asked to apply some more especially on areas that would be exposed whilst on the board…we even offered to do it for him but no he could do it by himself. Famous last words.

Once we had handed the board back in we headed up to our room to finish packing and shower as we needed to check out today. DH and I caught up with some laundry whilst the kids sorted themselves out and then we did the same whilst they chilled out on their iPads! We checked out easily and left our four bags with the concierge (yes the low tax rate had won!) whilst we hit the shops for some last minute bits and pieces.

DS went off for another Ukulele lesson and funnily enough it coincided with happy hour again…shame!

This time though we went and ate at Panda Express for dinner which was very nice. I was keen to find some red hibiscus, Hawaii’s state flower is the yellow hibiscus which is stunning and everywhere you go you can see it however I like the red so was on a mission…

Once I had found some we went back to the hotel, we killed time around the pool playing cards. As if by magic a rainbow appeared so we all go very excited and jumped up to take photos. It really was spectacular and a perfect end to our stay in Oahu.

After the excitement of seeing a Hawaiian rainbow we collected our bags as we had a little time to sort them before our shuttle arrived. We had booked an overnight flight back to LA as at the time it seemed ideal, it also saved a few pennies. Just hoped we could get some rest. Shuttle arrived on time and before long we were back at the airport, all very easy, checked bags, grabbed some nibbles and water and waited until boarding. Internal flights in the US is just like catching a bus or train in the UK, it’s so simple and easy.

I would like to say our flight was uneventful but it wasn’t… We all fell asleep quickly, not for long. There was a family in front of us with six children, not a problem except for the fact the Dad did absolutely nothing to help. The baby screamed and when I say screamed I mean full volume for the entire flight. The poor Mother was tearing her hair out, the staff tried to help but nothing worked. Then the toddler started…the Dad, oh he slept through the entire thing with his headphones on! Luckily DH and the kids slept through most of it. I will say the Hawaiian airline staff were amazing, very attentive but when you’re trying to rest on an overnight flight and they keep waking you to offer a drink or snack it was a bit too much at times.

Steps today; 10,130

Floors climbed; 26

*Tip of the day * Use sun cream responsibly and cover areas you don’t even think will need it*

Edited at 05:02 PM.
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

That first picture is amazing! Hawaii seems duch an exotic place to visit!

I hope you didn't arrive too exhausted!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

... and now Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻoles' Somewhere over the rainbow is playing in my head
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Nice last day - shame about the noisy flight though - some people can sleep through anything.
Love the rainbow and the sunrise
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 17, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
fillmore
Trying for More Ears

My DH was sun burnt by 10am one day in Hawaii! We also suffered an overnight flight where we were disturbed by people going to the toilet behind us constantly so I feel your pain... makes leaving Hawaii even worse doesn't it? Love the rainbow pic.
Old 20 Apr 17, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another fab beach pic! What a shame about return flight theres nothing worse.
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A lovely last day in such a beautiful place.