Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 26 Apr 17, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Snowdrops Family West Coast Adventure Day 1. Palm Springs Aerial tramway

I knew we wouldnt get too much of a lie in today because of bodyclocks, but we were all really good at adjusting to FL in previous trips so I was pretty hopeful that we might sleep til 5 or 6. No such luck and we were all awake at 4am. We didnt sleep well but the hotel we stayed at was just fine. We had driven from LAX to Chino hills hotel the night before after landing and then had another hour or so onto Palm Springs.

We decided to make the most of being up early and grab a hearty breakfast to set us up for the day. There was a Dennys across the carpark from our hotel so we headed off there as we were all starving. It amazed me to see so many locals in there at 5am.

Anyway the food was good and cost about $32 for us all which seemed decent as we were all stuffed. Love Dennys.

We checked out at around 8am and were on our way. As we were so early and the Aerial tramway didnt start running until 10am we decided to do a non fridge stock up on the way and found a local Target to go to. We got loads of snacks, cereal, bottled water etc and felt very organised. We got to the aerial tramway for 10am and parked in car park A which was closest to the docking area you could be. if you parked further down then it might be quite a walk and i could see why they had a shuttle service from carparks D and E as it was just so steep.
Purchased tickets and made it onto the 10:20 tram.

The tram rotates as you go up so as long as you get to the window edge of the tram then you get a decent view. little ones struggle though as the floor stays still but the bars you hold onto move around so you cant hold on well. hard to explain but its easy for grownups but my 5 year old took some time to realise that you cant just hold onto the bar as you will end up rotating into the family standing next to you if you do.

The top was breathtaking. the air was so clear and crisp and just amazing. after the previous travel day and stuffy cabin air this was just what we all needed. we were all really exciting to get exploring so working our way down the path at the top and onto the forest floor. My daughter are both indoor climbers so this was such a perfect place for them to explore and scramble.

you will see a lot more climbing in tomorrows joshua tree report.

There was a brook at the top and snow on the ground, tall trees and just amazing views every where you looked. it was quite chilly but as you can see, we were fine in a fleece and jacket. trainers or decent footwear recommended for the forest floor though.

We had a reservation back in the station at the top of the tramway at 11:30 so made our way back up after what seemed like a really short explore. wish we had have allowed ourselves more time. we were a little late for the reservation at "Peaks" which is the nicer of the food places there as its a table service restaurant with huge window views out over palm springs and the mountain ranges. Food was good but pricey. I think it came to about $45 which doesnt seem bad but that was really just sandwhiches and basic food.
Outside the restaurant is a wrap around balcony that anyone can go on and its a great place to view whats around you. We went for a little look and explore which was just lovely.

I wish we had've just eaten at "pines" which is the cafeteria style place up there as the food looked good and cheaper although Peaks was quite peaceful and nice for a rest.

Girls were getting fidgety now so we caught the 1:30 (i think) cable car back down and soon found our car. We decided to pop into Palm Springs for an explore and ice cream as we didnt eat the deserts at the restaurant.

We found a place to park in Palm Springs which was about 2 hours free parking and literally in the centre of everything. there seemed to be a few places like this around. We walked along looking at shops, my kids loved the spray mists that they put on the awnings to cool things down.

We had an explore then had an ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. our first taste of this and we loved it. they mix toppings in and it was really delicious.

We then popped to a wholefoods for food for joshua tree tomorrow (ready made sandwhiches and salads) and some milk and juice etc.

We drove onto our hotel and checked in. This was not easy as its a time share type place where people own loads of them and they were not helpful in explaining where to go to check in or where to go to get into our place. a little drama with the reception lady watching me unpack all our suitcases at reception (stupid on my part but i was tired in my defence) only to tell me that the room we had was a couple of minutes drive in the car away. i was pretty cross but it was day 1 and i was determined not to be too rude as we were just checking in.

We stayed at the desert breezes resort which is more of a value type place than luxury but it did the job and had a kitchenette which was ideal for us. I booked this place back before Brexit and they held the £ price so it worked out at about $75 per night with really low resort fees and no parking fees so a total bargain.

We ate dinner, bathed girls, put them to bed and sat on balcony while they fell asleep. we were so shattered that i think we went to bed not that long after.

lovely first day and i remember that feeling of just being so happy to be at the start of a holiday and just so excited for what adventures were to come.

View from balcony:

Tomorrow:

Joshua tree

Edited at 03:12 PM.
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Those views look spectacular! I really wanted Palm Springs on our itinerary, but something had to give unfortunately.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Wow, what stunning views from the top! This got me very excited as we have the tramway on our itinerary for our trip in a couple of weeks!

Was it cold at the top? I notice you are wearing jeans and jackets and then back to shorts later in the day... I am wondering what I should wear!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely first day Except for the rude timeshare woman lol. Glad to hear your room turned out nice though- $75 is an amazing bargain!

Love the aerial tram! I've never eaten at the restaurants at the top, but nice to hear the food was good. Love your photos from the top of the mountain! Coldstone Creamery is a fav of mine too.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Wow, what stunning views from the top! This got me very excited as we have the tramway on our itinerary for our trip in a couple of weeks!

Was it cold at the top? I notice you are wearing jeans and jackets and then back to shorts later in the day... I am wondering what I should wear!
The difference in what people were wearing was varied. some people in shorts and others wearing full on hats, scalves and gloves. I guess it depends on how much of a cold person you are and how long you plan to stay up the top.

My jeans were really thin cotton ones and the girls had on leggings and didnt complain. I suggest a fleece and jacket at least but if you have one of those thing roll up puffy gillets or coats (if you know the type i mean?) then that would be ideal. we ddnt want to bring a coat only for an hour or so at the top.

Girls changed into shorts and took top layers off to be left in t shirts you say which was def the best thing to wear in palm springs. wish the whole family had a change as i was desperate to get out of my jeans at the bottom.

The aerial tramway have a weather gage on their website that tells you the temp at the top on a weekly basis so hopefully should be a good indicator for you closer to the time.

I have tried to hold back on my photos because i took so many. i should be organised and have a folder marked "best of" to use on this trip report but i wanted to write it while its fresh.
snowdrop100 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
snowdrop100
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Lovely first day Except for the rude timeshare woman lol. Glad to hear your room turned out nice though- $75 is an amazing bargain!

Love the aerial tram! I've never eaten at the restaurants at the top, but nice to hear the food was good. Love your photos from the top of the mountain! Coldstone Creamery is a fav of mine too.
I would be twice as heavy as I am if Coldstone Creamery existed in the UK!

The food was just ok at Peaks i'd say. you're paying for the view really I think
Old 26 Apr 17, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
you're paying for the view really I think
I'm sure you're right. That's usually the way at most tourist spots.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great first day and enjoing your photos.

We love Dennys too and I'm already planning a day starting with breakfast there. I told my family we would wake up early but 4am!
Old 26 Apr 17, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
carolynne67
Apprentice Imagineer

Wonderful day. I'm so jealous as we were planning to do the aerial tramway but it is closed when we're there
Carolynne
Old 27 Apr 17, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowdrop100 View Post
The difference in what people were wearing was varied. some people in shorts and others wearing full on hats, scalves and gloves. I guess it depends on how much of a cold person you are and how long you plan to stay up the top.

My jeans were really thin cotton ones and the girls had on leggings and didnt complain. I suggest a fleece and jacket at least but if you have one of those thing roll up puffy gillets or coats (if you know the type i mean?) then that would be ideal. we ddnt want to bring a coat only for an hour or so at the top.

Girls changed into shorts and took top layers off to be left in t shirts you say which was def the best thing to wear in palm springs. wish the whole family had a change as i was desperate to get out of my jeans at the bottom.

The aerial tramway have a weather gage on their website that tells you the temp at the top on a weekly basis so hopefully should be a good indicator for you closer to the time.

I have tried to hold back on my photos because i took so many. i should be organised and have a folder marked "best of" to use on this trip report but i wanted to write it while its fresh.
Thanks so much, really useful to know! I was planning on taking a hoodie with me but may stretch to a pair of jeans too (I am a bit of a sucker for feeling the cold!)
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List