Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 Jul 17, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gezzs
Imagineer

When I first went in 2009, Duelling Dragons (as it was called) was the ride I was MOST looking forward to riding...and didn't disappoint. Due to 'lose objects' the ride was changed when we went again in 2011 so that the two trains ran at separate times. This made it slightly less exciting, but still good.

Little did I know 2014 would be the last time I'd ride this 'coaster. It's definitely in my top five rides in Orlando. Sadly, when we go next year it won't be there anymore. I'm sure the new HP ride will be good, but I'll have to wait for the 'next' trip to find out.

Florida: July 2009, Aug 2011, Sept 2014, Sept 2018, Sept 2024
Disneyland Paris: Dec 2023
Gezzs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

Mmmmmm so we weren't planning on a Universal bit this year but my son loves this ride do may need to think about it. Saved a day at the end of our stay just in case we want to pop over 😀

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

Shame it's closing as we love it but luckily unlike the Disney closures we can have a few last goes on it. I just hope it is a proper roller coaster that replaces it and not another simulator style ride.
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Had our first taste of this in 2015 but DD was too short to ride. I loved it and we were all looking forward to riding it together this year. I hope that date is correct. We visit Universal at the end of August so will be sure to take a few turns on it.
Fingers crossed for another proper coaster to replace it.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Another end of an era! They'd already tamed it down when they stopped racing but it was still a good coaster
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

I am glad it will make way for a new ride, Duelling dragons as it was known lost its thrill when they stopped the duelling and started sending both trains at different times, it then simply became another coaster.

All good thing come to an end and this one ended when it stopped duelling
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fraser789 View Post
I've just seen this! I go on the 8th of September I will miss out on one last ride by a few days it will be a shame to see it go but I'm sure Universal will have a great ride to replace it.
You fly same day as we do...
Old 24 Jul 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

I have never ridden it I'm a bit of a rollercoaster wimp but OH loves it, if it's closing I'm going to try and ride it on our upcoming trip
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
You fly same day as we do...
I'm flying from Manchester with Virgin!
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Monko
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by Jimsdadhalifax View Post
This is a shame .

It was better when they raced each other (and got really close) but this is still two world class roller coasters (that are up there with Montu and the Hulk) which are going.

I was always surprised at how small the Q was for the dragons before Potter (you could get off, go through a door back to the Q area and on again) but even with the Potter connection they always seemed quieter than the likes of the Hulk or Rip Ride Rocket.

Be interesting to see what replaces them.

Sad to see them go .
Agree with this.
Remember too getting off the ride and then more or less straight back on again and remember too when it was much more fun when they 'raced'.

Always had this ride as one of my Orlando fav's - up there with Kracken, Hulk, RRR, and gutted not to be riding it one last time with my October visit this year.