Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Jan 18, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Amtrak - coach vs business

Planning a day trip from NYC to Philadelphia. It's around $70 more each for business class (that's for return tickets). Is it worth it? Or is coach class ok? I looked at reviews and the only thing that puts me off coach is if they've over sold and passengers standing over the top of us - although I'd say this is probably rare.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I'd think it's unlikely to be an issue. Most commuters would drive that route so it's unlikely to be like our rush hour trains and from memory you get a seat reservation included anyway I think.
I travelled from Michigan to Chicago last year on Amtrak and it was really nice. Clean and comfortable.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 18, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I'd think it's unlikely to be an issue. Most commuters would drive that route so it's unlikely to be like our rush hour trains and from memory you get a seat reservation included anyway I think.
I travelled from Michigan to Chicago last year on Amtrak and it was really nice. Clean and comfortable.
Great! Thanks for your reply.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

We travelled coach from NYC to Boston, October 2016 and were really pleasantly surprised at the seat pitch and luggage storage (we use first class on Virgin from Glasgow to London,) Our seats were all forward facing and there were lots of spare seats. The buffet car was great too (.compared to our trains).

I would recommend using a red cap (.porter) to get you on to your train. We used one at Penn and he put us right on train,without any messing about - tip about $5 per piece of luggage. Also in the US stations, we found there to be great take out options.

Edited at 06:30 PM.
Team Jeans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I have been a few time son Amtrak and always just travelled coach. The trains are clean and tidy and the last time we sat in the cafe car and had a beer to and from Washington DC. Great way not to stress about driving.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 18, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for your replies. I've booked coach class. We're only going for the day but I've booked assistance as my youngest is a wheelchair user. So hopefully we'll get on and settled before the mad rush. We rarely use a train so it'll make a nice change.