Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Aug 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bigplan415 View Post
It's encouraging to hear all your stories of getting relief from this. Can anyone tell me more about the nose balloon?
It's exactly what it sounds like - a balloon that you blow up with your nose instead of mouth.

It puts pressure on your eustachian tubes and forces air into them addressing the air pressure imbalance between the 2 sides of your ear drum (which is what causes the ear pain).

It's basically a safer / gentler method of pinching your nose while blowing out through it to make your hearing come back.

Old 6 Aug 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

My little bag of goodies goes on every flight. Nasal spray (1hr and 1/2hr before flight and lading), strongest menthol boiled sweets I can get (sucking during ascend/descend) and sinus tabs (also 1hr before ascend/descend). I also take antihistamines for 1 - 2 weeks before I fly to help clear my tubes as best I can before hand. This was recommended by dr and pharmacist. I rarely feel any pain anymore and best of all I can hear all the time (I used to lose my hearing for 2-3 days after a flight)

Good luck with finding what works for you.
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
joeym
Excited about Disney

I had the sinus pain for years 😒 (I've been known to be in tears) until I found a combination of using karvol, olbas oil,sudafed and ear planes and it's like bliss 😀😊 very little to no ear/sinus pain at all
Old 6 Aug 17, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

The other thing no-one has mentioned is a neti pot. Not much good during a flight but great for general sinus conditions.
Old 9 Aug 17, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Griff_389
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by bigplan415 View Post
Hi, I'm really excited to be going back to WDW next week but I'm getting worried about the flights as I often get terrible pains in my face, head and neck during descent, sometimes accompanoed by a streaming nose. I assume this is due to air pressure changes in sinuses. Has anybody else suffered from this and found a way to prevent it?
I get this and it can be excruciating. What I did last time was use sudafed in the week running up to departure, buy some nasal spray in the air port, and also use a pair of ear planes for descent. It didn't cure it, but it was bearable. Rather than me being doubled over in pain as I gave been previously.

boots/earplanes-2-ear...-pair-10214762

I go in September and am already looking at getting stocked up for the flight.
Griff_389 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
The other thing no-one has mentioned is a neti pot. Not much good during a flight but great for general sinus conditions.
The other thing you can do it cut out diary. A friend of mine has done it and can't believe the difference it has made.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
The other thing you can do it cut out diary. A friend of mine has done it and can't believe the difference it has made.
Yes, works well for some people who have problems - unfortunately, does little for me.
Old 10 Aug 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
bigplan415
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Alices Aunt View Post
Thanks, this is interesting. Wonder how long in advance it'd need to be cut out? I only have a couple of days now so may be too short to make a difference. I've stocked up on all the medications recommended on this thread, plus earplanes, so will update on how it goes after the flights on Sunday.
bigplan415 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tadshome
Apprentice Imagineer

tadshome's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Sorry to jump on your thread but can anyone please tell me where I can buy karvol? I have been looking for weeks but cannot find it anywhere. Thank you

Edited at 03:48 PM.
tadshome is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 17, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
1973jk
Excited about Disney

I have previously suffered with my sinuses, although now rather than congestion I find the dryness from the air con inflight causes awful sinus headaches and pain behind the eyes. I recently spotted a lady taking a saline spray ( in her clear bag) through security. Wished I had thought of that. I had a couple of saline ampoules ( for sand in eyes or grazed knee situations!) so instead tried squirting saline up my nose intermittently through the flight- worked a treat. I think I will always try to remember the sterimar saline nasal spray in future.
1973jk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List