Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Nov 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Imagineer

Mobile 'Settling in' days?

So here's a question. We are currently booked for 2 weeks in August- 1 week onsite at BC and 1 week at Clearwater. No universal this time! We are travelling on a Tuesday, but now thinking of adding a couple of days at the beginning somewhere cheap to 'settle in'.
Reason for this is that on our last two trips abroad ( including Florida last year) our youngest two have started throwing up on day 2! We assume it's the heat and travel. As we only have a week at Disney, and travel day doesn't count- I don't feel like it gives us much time do what we'd like.
Do many dibbers start of their trips 'gently' before hitting the park action? Would literally stay somewhere cheap offsite - any recommendations?
Endless Summer 2023
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post

would you not just be " kicking your heels " waiting for the time to go by and hit disney ? ? ?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDreamer!
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Tbh I think it’s a good idea, if it suits you and your family.
When I book I always account for a few extra days whether it’s to rest, “settle in” or chill after a full holiday at the end.

The travel can have a big effect on little ones, plus I’m sure you don’t want them to feel Ill during your Disney time so a few days beforehand will give them the rest they need.

You can always stay on international drive, that way if you still wanted to go out and do things so you’re not sat twiddling your thumbs waiting for Disney it’s a good place to start.

I always stay at Rosen inn at pointe. Central and near to everything
DisneyDreamer! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I never make plans for days 1 and 2 because I just like to relax, have a leisurely breakfast and a few hours by the pool. Then a spot of shopping etc. I go for 3 weeks if possible which makes it easier to spread activities out a bit.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
electo
Imagineer

my settling in day is when i get to the hotel after all the running around i do when i get there
then tv on vodka and diet coke out and a big bag of cheetos

then up at stupid o'clock the next day
2012/16/18 rosen inn at pointe orlando
2024 storey lake villa
electo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

Just be careful - this is what we planned to do - stay somewhere cheap and cheerful for a few days before our Beach Club stay... As it turns out, we're going to be staying for the first 3 nights at AKL 1 bed renting DVC points... Not so cheap and cheerful!
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We always stay in a value Resort the first night. Saves my DVC Points.
Then we just have a leisurely breakfast, get any clothes shopping done, hit Publix and get the room circa 3.00pm.
Takes a few hours to unpack our lockers that are kept here and then do a Park the next day.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

It's really interesting to hear your little ones are sick when they get tired, my son used to do this, when we went to Florida it would take a week and then he'd have a day saying he felt funny and would then throw up, sleep for an hour and then be right as rain, so we used to have to leave a couple of days after a week that we'd plan for, but it wouldn't matter if we cancelled.

The problem is sleep goes a bit awry for first few days so they get even more tired, could you do mornings at first as they'll be awake early and then go back to hotel for a sleep after lunch so they catch up on sleep?
Old 3 Nov 17, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinkie1983
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We don't have little ones but I do have Fibromyalgia and this trip we are having a day after travel day just as a buffer and so that I can pace myself. If it is something that you think your little ones will benefit from go for it, nobody wants illness to spoil their fun.
Pinkie1983 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 17, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tarik
Excited about Disney

might not be a bad idea. We went in may and our 3 year old and 6 month old wouldnt eat hardly anything for first 2.5 days. Then they had a massive sleep and their body clocks got back to normal. Was a bit of a waste the first couple of days.
tarik is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List