Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Wembleygal
Imagineer

Wembleygal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you have lots of Avios, American Airlines is also an option. I actually prefer American's Business Class product to BA.

I can sleep in Biz. I can't in Economy.
Wembleygal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post

We usually fly BA Club but last September I flew with VA Upper. I don’t think there is a clear winner. The VA lounge is nicer than BA Lounge, I found BA inflight food better than VA. I don’t like that VA Upper do not disembark first on arrival in Orlando. But the main reason I go in this cabin is for a flat bed and space, which they both provide.

If I were only going one way in Club then the advantage of it on the outbound is extra comfort on the longer flight and also getting to Orlando customs before most of the other 300 people on the plane. The advantage of club in the way back is that it is a night flight and so I could get some sleep. Never had trouble sleeping on a plane when I have a flat bed.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I don’t like that VA Upper do not disembark first on arrival in Orlando.
The change of aircraft now the 747's have gone should solve this issue, the L2 door on the 330's, which is usually the preferred one for the bridge to attach to, is now at the rear of UC. This should hopefully prompt the crew to hold PE and EC back whilst UC deplane.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
poggs
Apprentice Imagineer

One thing not mentioned here is that the charges for departing from the USA are pretty steep.

Eg for a return on BA the charges are about £650 + the avios (less avios req in off peak - cash the same) virgin slightly less

However for singles you get stung both ways. its about £470 outbound and £450 inbound.

So if you split the airlines, expect to pay about £900 plus the miles for each person.

Avios etc do not "save" money. The enable you to fly business for peak economy prices

Edited at 02:07 PM.
poggs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
One potential advantage of the change to LHR departures for BA is the likelihood of the new Club Suites. Our moved booking shows the 1-2-1 seating plan for our flight. However, I do appreciate that, even if we do get to fly, aircraft can change.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
One potential advantage of the change to LHR departures for BA is the likelihood of the new Club Suites. Our moved booking shows the 1-2-1 seating plan for our flight. However, I do appreciate that, even if we do get to fly, aircraft can change.
I agree that it would be good to have the Club Suites on the LHR-MCO route but not every flight at the moment is showing that configuration. I have a flight in Feb showing CS configuration and seats allocated automatically but unable to change by MMB even though my BAEC status would allow. Some flights on the same route are showing the Club World set up not the CS. The flight loads shows that we are the only people onboard at the moment - which I take with a very large pinch of salt as other sources I have for checking indicate different results. It will settle down eventually.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
We had a good fair share of Business and occasional First over the years, all of which were on Points.
Didnt like Upper Class really and would have been very disappointed if we had paid, although the new offering out of Heathrow looks much better. Hated the narrow seat and layout, service and food were mediocre. Had maybe half a dozen trips and none stood out.
BA business maybe 3 times was good.
Only lottery win would convince me that paying for these is worth the big price difference.
Economy is fine for us, we have a few drinks, watch a few films and Bob's your dad's brother we are there. Both directions.
Best of the lot have been Aer Lingus and a trip over to Chicago with AA in business.
I think it's going to very different for us in the North over the next few years. Had a good recommendation for TUI PE so may treat ourselves one day.

A nd actually if I did win that lottery may look at a private jet charter! 😊
I have flown PE with Tui and have to say it was one of the best flights I have had (but have not flown business class before unless you count the old days of Sunshine First with XL airways?

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
The change of aircraft now the 747's have gone should solve this issue, the L2 door on the 330's, which is usually the preferred one for the bridge to attach to, is now at the rear of UC. This should hopefully prompt the crew to hold PE and EC back whilst UC deplane.
That's correct and exactly what happens

In the Caribbean they even open the front door and let the UC passengers off first through there
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by poggs View Post
Avios etc do not "save" money. The enable you to fly business for peak economy prices
If you only fly Business Class then they "save you money" for sure!
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you only fly Business Class then they "save you money" for sure!
I have a four hour rule, any flight over 4 hours we fly BC if it's under 4 hours it depends on the price, the type of plane and the route.

We use a lot of Avios and 2-4-1s, everyone spends their own money in their own way.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List