Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 14 Mar 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Cambridge Hotel, Gatwick March 8/9

Holiday Extra secret deal. Completely bargainous at £72, bed, breakfast and 11 nights parking

Slightly old fashioned but functional and clean.

We had dinner on arrival around 7.30

Andy is now flexitarian. Well , that's one word for it

It's officially a thing and is either a veggie that eats occasional meat or a carnivore that eats more veggie depending on your starting perspective .
So he is 80 % Veggie at home and 100% steak hound on holiday

Except tonight when he picked Spag Bol Didn't see that coming. But it is a quirky menu ...

What's that I hear you say ... Spag Bol? White Top? Twirly fork business?

We all know how that ends don't we ...

I had the chicken skewer which was nice and totally reminded me of Turkey . Except it was chicken , not turkey. Laughs at own joke

I had a Diet Coke and Andy just had water.
Bill was £32 , felt expensive but food was nice.

Breakfast was booked for 8.00

Help yourself to cereals, juice and coffee.
Cooked breakfast was pre set items. Came out " piping hot" as my Granny would say.

It was ok. Freshly cooked, could have done with more toast.

Edited at 11:32 AM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

No 1 Lounge Gatwick

i had pre booked this for £48. Two reasons.. It gave us the premium security which is always quieter and as we had some of Andys mum's ashes with us , I didn't want screening stress. It all went really smoothly.

And it gave us a chance to chill out and have a few drinks pre flight as we wouldn't be experiencing the Virgin PE style food and drink fest on board

Obviously, as we are going Economy with Norwegian

Lounge was lovely and quiet so we obnoxiously occupied a large corner to ourselves and charged up the small electrical department in our hand luggage.

I was straight in the cake

Then some drinks and nibbles

Can't beat spicy hot nuts just before a flight... So Andy says, fnaar fnaar.

Ok enough lowering the tone. By mid day we were sampling the help yourself soup and salad table. Obviously not the table itself as that would be ridiculous , but the items on it

Some delicious tomato soup. Slightly over croutoned by Andy

Then we handed in our little cards for the Yorkie Pud and Cheese and Biscuits

Very pleasant and with wine and food plus premium security, definitely well worth it for us. Very relaxing.

Edited at 02:25 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Norwegian Dreamliner LGW-FLL 9 March

Bargainous £775 total for low fare plus so this included meals, 3 checked bags and seat choice.

Seats were 6 C and D

These are fantastic, first row after premium, lots of leg room and in a quiet cabin of just a few row.

Andy spent the flight watching this pooch who was flying premium ...

He was a service dog.

Anyway, the food.

Andy had the vegan meal which came out 45 minutes before the other meals and was so rapidly inhaled I didn't get a pic

I had my meal about 90 minutes after take off .

My choice was beef and mash or Chicken with " warm salad" .

Neither massively appealing but I went for chicken .

The people next to me had the beef. Which wasn't easy to cut with plastic knives so chicken was a winner ..

It was ok. I mixed the pasta in with it. I missed having a bread roll with it but it was an ok dinner. Came with a glass of wine, water and then a coffee afterwards.

The snack bar is available through the ife... A few prices for you

And you have to purchase earphones and blankets . I was glad we had our own earphones and I had a wrap as a cover up. The fresh air system makes the plane cold

Snacks came out about an hour before landing with tea or coffee. I enjoyed this.

It was ok. In hindsight, we could have done with taking on a couple of bottles of water but otherwise it was fine.

Edited at 12:47 PM.
Old 14 Mar 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I'm loving the slippers!
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I was looking at the Cambridge on holiday extras last night! I thought i had cracked their 'secret' hotel code and assumed it must be the Cambridge. I'm glad you took photos of the menu I spent a long time perusing it. Did you use the hotel transfer to the airport or just get a taxi?

By the way I laughed at all your jokes. Oh and I'm glad Andy is flexible on the veggie front.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

It is rare I laugh out loud but loved the turkey joke!

Good start on the food - though I guess compared to what you are having in NO there is no comparison!

Very very cute pooch!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Mar 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
I'm loving the slippers!
Lol, my travel must

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
It is rare I laugh out loud but loved the turkey joke!

Good start on the food - though I guess compared to what you are having in NO there is no comparison!

Very very cute pooch!
So many dogs at the airport ! Food in NO has been absolutely scrum my. Not a single bad meal. I feel very full

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I was looking at the Cambridge on holiday extras last night! I thought i had cracked their 'secret' hotel code and assumed it must be the Cambridge. I'm glad you took photos of the menu I spent a long time perusing it. Did you use the hotel transfer to the airport or just get a taxi?

By the way I laughed at all your jokes. Oh and I'm glad Andy is flexible on the veggie front.
Hi there .. We used their shuttle £11. Hotel is ok. We were a bit when we arrived but it's clean. Just so old fashioned compared to a premier inn. But at the price we paid, no complaints from us.
Old 15 Mar 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

McDonald's Ocean Blvd, Fort Lauderdale

It took sooooooo long to clear the airport that it was gone 9.30pm by the time we had checked in, gone at the room , and set off to the Ocean Bar and Grille across the road.

Neither the hotel or bar quite live up to photos and expectations. Even more so when the bar owner told us they were just closing Really? A bar closing before 10pm :

Choices horribly limited around the hotel so we headed for McDs, where our accents asking for " a bottle of water" created all sorts of confusion. Apparently you have to say " water bottle" as a young spring breaker helped translate for us

Anyhow. It's McDs . And it was good.

Not the greatest arrival evening ever !

Edited at 11:18 AM.
Old 15 Mar 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Jalapeño Kitchen, Ocean Drive, Miami

parking along Ocean Drive is quite a challenge and we weren't willing to pay $25 to valet park just to have brekky so we ended up quite far along the street.
Still lots of cafes though.

We managed to pick one that had an outstanding view of the public loos obscuring the beach

But we could still see the world going by ... And it doesn't seem to wear many clothes these days Or clothes that fit. We felt very old

We had mimosas to sip in the sunshine.

Andy went for a triple sandwich thing that looked a bit yellow for me.

I had pancakes with sausage.

Food was ok, nothing to rave about. It was nice just people watching and getting a bit of sun. It was windy and a storm was forecast so we were pleased we had at least done this in dry weather !

Edited at 11:39 AM.
Old 15 Mar 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Shulas 2 Steak and Sports Bar, Main Street, Miami Lakes

We had a reservation for 6 and it should be a 30 minute trip from the hotel .

It was raining hard though and a Saturday night so really busy traffic. In the end we were 20 minutes late.

IT looked a nice area.

The restaurant is inside the Shula hotel

It was empty when we arrived but soon filled up

I had a raspberry Martini

We had the sampler platter to start

It came with some dips. It was all totally delicious

I had the 6oz filet with loaded potato and Caesar salad

It was lovely but the potato and salad defeated me.

Andy had ribeye with fries and veg

It was good too.

Great steaks, a creditable third spot I think on our all time Steak great list behind YO in Dallas and Shulas in Orlando.

I did order cheesecake to go ... That was tomorrow's breakfast.

The bill $142. Definitely worth it. This was the first in a few places where the tip was already added in.

Edited at 12:07 PM.