Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Giving Blood at 17

I have given blood for years and my 17 year old daughter knows how important it is to do so and how low blood stocks are.

I am giving blood tomorrow and have asked if she wants to come with me and give blood for the first time.

She says she wants to, but is really scared and doesn't think she can.

I have suggested she comes along with me and tries and that they must be so used to people nervous or passing out.

Anyone else had experience of taking their teenager with them?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 05:35 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
No, my son is almost 17 and would love to donate but he was previously not allowed due to his liver disease and now I am sure he won’t be allowed due to his cancer and transplant but he does want me to check for him when I go on Monday. He is used to needles though. Maybe take her with you to see the process this time and see how she feels about it for next time?
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

I dont weigh enough so cant do it unfortunately but I went with my son at 17, he found it fine and not as bad as he thought and has been back several times since. . Is she ok with injections? I hope she does go through with it , its such a good thing to do.
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

I have never taken my teenager with me she's too young however I do know the staff where I donate are brilliant with first time donors. Needles are terrifying things to a lot of people, I first decided to donate blood when I was 19/20 Just to get over my fear of them.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

My son is 17 and signed up to give blood straight away. He was very nervous but determined to do it. He didn’t look when the needle was going in or at the process and machinery whilst he was donating but asked me to take a photo of his arm.

When we got home later he looked at the photo then. He said it wasn’t as bad as he thought and has booked his next appointment.

Have to say the staff were amazing too. Very calm and reassuring. Tea & biscuits throughout 😁
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

I‘Ve just booked my son to give blood for the first time. I’ve given blood on and off for 20-odd years, first time I was at university and there was poster campaign with a little boy in a hospital bed covered in tubes and needles with the tag line ‘ And you are scared of needles?’. Very powerful.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:25 AM  
Link to this Post
FSnug
Very Serious Dibber

I too started at 18 following on site visit to the university campus of the donor crew. I can’t recall anything other than abit of apprehension and have never had any issues. I can’t persuade my son 19 to donate. Perhaps the fact that the whole donor experience came to the uni all those years ago made it easier for students to be brave to attend, as everyone as in it together? Still donating and am on 55+ donations though it is harder to get appointments as a lot of the sessions have been culled locally, the permanent centre locally has closed and if you have to cancel due to illness and work it can be many months for a rescheduled appointment
... maybe one day?

Edited at 07:28 AM.
FSnug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d love to give blood but never have been able to as I’ve had a blood transfusion - does anyone know if this rule still stands?

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
I’d love to give blood but never have been able to as I’ve had a blood transfusion - does anyone know if this rule still stands?
Transfusion after 1980? you can't donate
blood
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post

I used to give blood but got out of the habit when I spent a number of years living overseas. We where would accept the blood of a British person, we all have mad cow disease apparently.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List