Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 17 Dec 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Kimbers
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile 20 days until we go and looks like we have to cancel

Hi All

Just after any help/direction with travel. Insurance claim. As you can see by the headi g myself, partner and little girl due to fly out in 3 weeks but looks like we may have to cancel. Obviously totally gutted but just keep telling myself we have been plemty of times before and will rebook as soon as physically possible.

Thabk goodness for insurance hey.

I don't think I will claim my Disney tickets back as will be going again before the year is through.

Car hire will refund as long as a cancel 3 days before collection.

So it's just my virgin flights and the villa

. Has anyone had to cancel before? Easy process? Any advise?

Thankyou in advance
Kimbers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I think they will let you move the date.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

I would be gutted too. ☹️
Some companies do sometimes let you move rather than cancel but it depends how far out from arrival it says in their policies. Definitely worth asking- you may need to pay an admin fee but hopefully not too much!
We had to cancel a med cruise with Disney and all our flights and hotels 2 days before and Disney were great with cancelling excursions, in room gifts etc. Just had to claim for the cruise. One of the hotels didn't charge us at all just cancelled (they said its August in Barcelona the room won't be empty for long - bless them -I could have cried they were so nice). Insurance company was also fine and everything went smoothly. Good luck.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 03:37 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It's all down to whether they can resell a room or flight in that space of time but that is why there is insurance.
Old 18 Dec 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Have you booked DIY or via an agent? I would call the insurance company and see what they say in terms of what they need from you (papers from doctors or similar if it is for illness) and anything you need to do specifically in terms of cancellations. Every insurance company is different.
Old 18 Dec 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Kimbers
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. It's my MIL. She has been given a very sudden and terminal cancer diagnosis and not expected to live beyond a month or two.

We booked flights through netflights and I have had a quick convo saying we could claim back airport taxes through them and then the seat through virgin (netflights will sort that bit for me OR I. Could look at given them an approximate date to rebook and they can kind of hold the monies for me. The only thing is... I can't really guess at the dates?

We booked the villa privately and I emailed the owner last night with the current situ. We have stayed there about 6 times now.

I guess I have a glimmer of hope that it will still happen but realistically I. Do t know of any circumstance this holiday will still go ahead. X
Kimbers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

I wouldn't cancel anything just yet, but be prepared. Insurance should cover anything you can't get a refund for, including admin/cancellation fees. We had to cancel a whole planned holiday a few years ago and BA refunded the flight costs, we just had to claim for the villa, fees and park tickets. However, my father was given a terminal cancer diagnosis last year with 'months' left and he's still going 15m later.
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Lumpy
slightly serious Dibber

I would check with the insurance company if they will pay for the reason you have stated. A friend of mine, husband died very suddenly and the insurance company would only pay half as they said there was no reason why she couldn't go by herself! The holiday was two weeks after his death.
When my husband died I found both netflights and virgin atlantic very helpful in sorting everything out and virgin changed the ticket into my mum's name even though it was a non transferable as I decided I would go.
Lumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
I would check with the insurance company if they will pay for the reason you have stated. A friend of mine, husband died very suddenly and the insurance company would only pay half as they said there was no reason why she couldn't go by herself! The holiday was two weeks after his death.
OMG - that is horrible treatment!
Old 18 Dec 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
OMG - that is horrible treatment!
Unfortunately something similar happened to my best friend. Her dad had booked and paid for them to go to DLP through DLP themselves and suddenly died not long before they were going. Disney said they would be no refund (they only wanted to inform them he wouldn't be there and cancel his part) and actually charged them £200 for removing his name. The insurance wouldn't pay because it was a possibility he would die as he had been ill previously. Yeah previously but not when he actually died.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List