Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jan 14, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Seth1970
Serious Dibber

Dollar Car Hire-good or bad?

Looking to hire a car, and the top 2 I can find who have places on I-drive are Dollar (in the hotel next to ours) and Alamo (at the Four Points)

Quite a few good reviews about Alamo, but not much info re Dollar. Anyone had any experience good or bad?
Seth1970 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
shamu1
Imagineer

shamu1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
the first time we used dollar it was a bad experience with our credit card get charged over £400. we did get our money back but it did take over 6 months.
2 years ago dollar were £150 cheaper than anyone else and decided to give them another try and everything was fine (although the car was a little older )
Alamo we have rented from a lot and always have positive things to say.
Old 5 Jan 14, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Been quite a lot of negativity of Dollar on here recently re unexpected charges, that said we rented from them back in 2009 and they were fine though the car was a bit old had quite a high mileage for a rental car. On the other hand, we used Alamo with Brits discount last summer and picked ourselves a nice new car!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Dog
Imagineer

I had a bad experience on my second ever trip and won't use them again, long and short of it was I negotiated an upgrade for a price and paid cash for it and signed without double checking, dollar sneakily added the tax onto my credit card. I should have checked the paperwork more thoroughly so a lesson learned, I'm far more savy now.
Big Dog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Only had good experiences with Dollar but only used Express and always treated well.

Alamo gave us the worst car we've ever had on the trip just gone so...
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
Alamo gave us the worst car we've ever had on the trip just gone so...
I presume you picked up at Car Care Center or hotel as usually you can choose what you want from a big line, we chose a nearly new Int SUV at OIA.
Old 5 Jan 14, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyFamily
Imagineer

I find Dollar and Alamo to be pretty much the same if I'm honest, no real preference for any of the suppliers. Tend to go with whoever has the cheapest price for the type of car we want and have never had a bad experience with any of them.
2001 - Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 - Old Key West Resort 2007 - Sequoia Lodge (DLRP) 2008 - Santa Fe (DLRP) 2010 - Mickeys Sunrise Villa (Sunrise Lakes Dibb Villa) 2011 - Hotel New York (DLRP) 2013 - Orlando Primrose Villa (Lindfields Dibb Villa)
DisneyFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Boyle73
Imagineer

I've used budget, dollar and alamo, prefer alamo as never had any hard sell from them.

Using dollar for the first time for a couple of years as had a ridiculous hard sell from them a couple of years ago when we travelled just the two of us and they told us we wouldn't fit our 2 'large' cases into a SUV.

Hoping it's all going to be well this year as I just can't be bothered with it after a long flight with a tired DH and DD!

Xx
Boyle73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by disneyoli View Post
I presume you picked up at Car Care Center or hotel as usually you can choose what you want from a big line, we chose a nearly new Int SUV at OIA.
No we did get to choose at MCO but you don't get a test drive we had 19 Captivas and 1 "Kuga" in the line. We went for one of the Captivas (mainly because it was black) but didn't realise it wasn't central locking till we got to the hotel. It had also done 17k but the engine felt like it had done about 170k

With Dollar Express they always seem to give us an upgrade (Full size Wrangler, Ford Explorer, Dodge Nitro 4L V6 and the cars have always been good quality.

Not had sales issues with either as we always prebook and register with express or savetime.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 14, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cannavar View Post
No we did get to choose at MCO but you don't get a test drive we had 19 Captivas and 1 "Kuga" in the line. We went for one of the Captivas (mainly because it was black) but didn't realise it wasn't central locking till we got to the hotel. It had also done 17k but the engine felt like it had done about 170k

With Dollar Express they always seem to give us an upgrade (Full size Wrangler, Ford Explorer, Dodge Nitro 4L V6 and the cars have always been good quality.

Not had sales issues with either as we always prebook and register with express or savetime.
Fair enough, perhaps it was just bad luck. We got a 2,000 mile Ford Escape, I'm told it was lovely to drive
Closed Thread