Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Sep 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

New Car PCP Advice

DH and I are thinking about getting new cars. If we decide to get them using a PCP can you still haggle on price or do you have to take the price they give? Is it better to get both at the same time? Never done this before but so many people seem to be doing it thinking it might be worthwhile.
Thanks everyone
Natalie
mandevillepete is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Haggle away. On finance there's usually more wiggle room to haggle anyway and often deals that only exist if you take finance (deposit contributions, etc).

Your best bet is to get onto CarWow and get some prices from dealers that way. It essentially gets dealers to bid for your business - you will likely get thousands slashed off before you even walk into the showroom. It's anonymous so they won't be hounding you afterwards.

I'm sure Mr Tom Morrorow will be alone shortly to share some haggling wisdom!
Old 27 Sep 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Haggle and get both ordered at the same time. We couldn’t get a deal from our dealership, so DH went online and got a much better deal for the same car. The dealership has big overheads. We went there to test drive the car we wanted. Had it three weeks today!
You have nothing to lose by haggling.
Old 27 Sep 19, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

They might not budge on price, but they may well budge on APR on the PCP deal. When I bought my new car they dropped the APR almost 5%
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
It might also be worth shopping around for the PCP part. When I bought my car (second hand), I took out a PCP through my bank at a considerably lower APR than the dealer offered.
Old 27 Sep 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Haggle away. On finance there's usually more wiggle room to haggle anyway and often deals that only exist if you take finance (deposit contributions, etc).

Your best bet is to get onto CarWow and get some prices from dealers that way. It essentially gets dealers to bid for your business - you will likely get thousands slashed off before you even walk into the showroom. It's anonymous so they won't be hounding you afterwards.

I'm sure Mr Tom Morrorow will be alone shortly to share some haggling wisdom!
I've not heard of CarWow but just had a look. Do you happen to know how it works Neil? You say they bid for your business and that it's anon, but how does that work?

We may start looking for a new car in the next few months, so this is great info!
Thanks
Joa
Old 27 Sep 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I've not heard of CarWow but just had a look. Do you happen to know how it works Neil? You say they bid for your business and that it's anon, but how does that work?

We may start looking for a new car in the next few months, so this is great info!
Thanks
Joa
It's very simple actually. You signup on their website, then request quotes for the car you are after. You have to specify everything - the trim, engine, colour, options etc. It's all very easy. This then goes out to dealers to tender, and they reply with their best offer. The offers appear in your CarWow account. If you want to take it further or ask them questions, then you message them through CarWow.

I've used it a few times now. You don't have to be actively buying - you can do a few quotes now to get a feel for it and see what sort of discount you might expect when you're ready.
Old 27 Sep 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

I would never buy with a PCP, I just think you pay through the nose for the car and never own it and always have a loan. It like the washing and ironing it never ends. You have no guarantee the car is worth what you are being ask to pay for it in the end. Your also not guaranteed as specific amount for trade in either. Even if it says you will get £x amoint on your paperwork they may not give you that.
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridag1rl View Post
I would never buy with a PCP, I just think you pay through the nose for the car and never own it and always have a loan. It like the washing and ironing it never ends. You have no guarantee the car is worth what you are being ask to pay for it in the end. Your also not guaranteed as specific amount for trade in either. Even if it says you will get £x amoint on your paperwork they may not give you that.
This is my view too.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

PCP has worked for me. Came out of a 3 year deal earlier this year with £2k equity and went into another with 0% interest .
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List