Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

£120 fine for holiday absence

dailymail/news/art...ls-scheme.html

Not sure I completely understand

I get two holidays per year would be £120 each time they are out of school. Then prosecution.

But it mentioned sick. Don’t understand that cos like my kids have had sickness or diarrhoea or tonsillitis and how are we supposed to stop them being poorly. Send them and just spread more germs?
Or is this article sickness something else. Idk.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

The way I read it is that they are not being fined for being ill. In some cases of long term illness the schools have been allowed up until now to remove that child from their registers because they are hardly there.

Instead if a child is off ill for more than 15 days then they will be flagged up as maybe needing more support and will be kept on at their registered school.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

See they are also talking of issuing a FPN fine if a child is late 5 times in one term. Bearing in mind the current transport situation and some schools have a reasonably high percentage of children who travel by train to school as was the case when our ds was at school hope they look at why they are late before issuing fines.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Maybe the gov need to look at travel industry ripping people off during school hols. A week at centre parks increases £800 in school holidays! I dont blame people for taking kids out of school
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
Maybe the gov need to look at travel industry ripping people off during school hols. A week at centre parks increases £800 in school holidays! I dont blame people for taking kids out of school
I don’t see it as ripping off. If it was, then these airlines and holiday resorts such as Centreparks would be richer.

An airline flies most of its aircraft all year round. They are certainly paying repaying loans or paying to lease year round and therefore it is a 12 month bill.

An airline pays its staff, engineers, cabin staff, pilots, check in staff etc etc all year round. They don’t lay them off in September, taking them back on for Christmas.

Slots at airports are also year round and have to be paid for.

The vast majority of tourists and Holiday makers want to fly at Easter, Summer School Hols and Christmas. It is obvious that these peak periods will cost peak prices and that this money will be used to subsidise prices during the leaner months, just to get people onto the aircraft. Many of those leaner months will actually see the airline running at a loss and with only the peak demand customers keeping the business solvent.

Any airline that charged the same per seat in August as they did per seat in November on predominantly Tourist Routes would soon go bust… as would any company such as Centre Parks.

I have had to pay peak prices since around 2005 on all aspects of my vacations, when my Children first started travelling with us. Yes, now they are no longer part of the equation, I will be looking to vacation in the non School Hols periods and make a saving. Unfortunately, as I now tend to fly mixed or even predominantly business routes, the savings will not be as good as I would have hoped.

A ticket to San Francisco, LA, San Diego etc costs pretty much the same price all year round as the demand would be broadly the same, year round. Those locations are not predominantly tourist routes and thus the demand is more constant through the 12 months.

A direct return from London to Orlando will obviously be priced to take advantage of increased demand during School Hols periods.

Some seem to believe that these airlines should have twice as many aircraft and then pull them out of desert storage for Christmas, Easter and Summer only, whilst pulling suitable crew, engineers and support staff out of a filing cabinet where they have been stored since the previous school holidays. Clearly this is impossible.

Nobody is ripping anybody off.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I don’t see it as ripping off. If it was, then these airlines would be richer.

An airline flies most of its aircraft all year round. They are certainly paying repaying loans or leasing year round and therefore it is a 12 month bill.

An airline pays its staff, engineers, cabin staff, pilots, check in staff etc etc all year round.

Slots at airports are year round and have to be paid for.

The vast majority of tourists and Holiday makers want to fly at Easter, Summer School Hols and Christmas. It is obvious that these peak periods will cost peak prices and that this money will be used to subsidise prices during the leaner months. Many of those leaner months will actually see the airline running at a loss and with only the peak demand customers keeping the business solvent.

Any airline that charged the same per seat in August as they did per seat in November would soon go bust.

I have had to pay peak prices since around 2005, when my Children first started travelling on vacation with us. Yes, now they are no longer part of the equation, I will be looking to vacation in the non School Hols periods and make a saving. Unfortunately, as I now tend to fly mixed or even predominantly business routes, the savings will not be as good as I would have hoped.

A ticket to San Francisco, LA, San Diego etc costs pretty much the. Same price all year round as the demand would be broadly the same, year round.

A direct return from London to Orlando will obviously be priced to take advantage of increased demand during School Hols periods.

So why dont they just keep a 'steady' price all year round?
I feel like ripping off and tbh probably still be cheaper just taking the fine, putting more money in govs pockets!
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I feel like ripping off and tbh probably still be cheaper just taking the fine, putting more money in govs pockets!
Supply & Demand - dynamic pricing

Its north new and I guess if you choose to have children then you now the cost in the school holidays for anything will be at at a premium (was also so) and at quieter term times when demand is lower ofcourse the airlines (and other vacation places - even hotels) price accordingly to attract the $/£
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Because the times of peak demand and price, subsidises quieter, leaner times when in probability the company will be running at a loss.

I live in Falmouth. I can assure you that the Hotels, Air BNB s and the like make very little between Sept- December, Jan - March. They price in order that at the end of every 12 month period, they have hopefully made a profit. They will also be trying to retain staff also during the quiet months, paying them with money from the Holiday periods.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:59 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If they did then both prices would go up.

Because the amount they need to earn each year won't change so they still need high prices at times people will travel. However if they charged those high prices in Nov and Mar (for instance) no one would buy them so they lose the revenue they would have gotten from selling the cheaper off peak tickets so they need to increase the peak ticket price to gain that lost revenue.

On the subject of more money in governments pockets, I'm pretty sure the amount of the fine and the amount of fines actually raised makes this pretty much a zero-sum effort for the government. It will cost them as much to administer and process as they take, it has been set at this amount because £60 per parent per child wasn't seen as a deterrent (as witnessed everyday by theDibb comments - cheaper to just take the fine) so they have made it more of a hit to the parent to encourage them to do the right thing and send their kids to school

Edited at 11:08 PM.
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 22, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I don’t see it as ripping off. If it was, then these airlines and holiday resorts such as Centreparks would be richer.

An airline flies most of its aircraft all year round. They are certainly paying repaying loans or leasing year round and therefore it is a 12 month bill.

An airline pays its staff, engineers, cabin staff, pilots, check in staff etc etc all year round.

Slots at airports are year round and have to be paid for.

The vast majority of tourists and Holiday makers want to fly at Easter, Summer School Hols and Christmas. It is obvious that these peak periods will cost peak prices and that this money will be used to subsidise prices during the leaner months. Many of those leaner months will actually see the airline running at a loss and with only the peak demand customers keeping the business solvent.

Any airline that charged the same per seat in August as they did per seat in November would soon go bust.

I have had to pay peak prices since around 2005, when my Children first started travelling on vacation with us. Yes, now they are no longer part of the equation, I will be looking to vacation in the non School Hols periods and make a saving. Unfortunately, as I now tend to fly mixed or even predominantly business routes, the savings will not be as good as I would have hoped.

A ticket to San Francisco, LA, San Diego etc costs pretty much the. Same price all year round as the demand would be broadly the same, year round.

The poster wasn’t talking about flights from what I can see.
I do think £800 increase for a glorified holiday camp is a huge rip off.
ScoopsAhoy is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List