Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 28 Jul 21, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

This is a major reason in my thinking, when I booked a 3 bedroom apartment at LBV Village resort and Spa for next Easter. I would normally have sought a Villa.

It cost around the same at £100 a night, but I know that I can cancel for a full refund up to 48 hours before occupation.

When Covid is just a distant nightmare, I will revert to Villas.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 04:23 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Wils39 View Post
We are due to go 14 Sept 2021(unlikely I know).
Had UK villa company on saying they are being pressured from the USA for the balance.
The owner says he can rent it within the US so wants our money now.
Had a very polite conversation with the UK agent but said I would not pay until we know the flights are going. She was fully onside with this.
Don't understand why that lot over the water cannot get that particularly when Uncle Joe will not let us in.
Not prepared to pay then have fight on to get it back when we cannot go.
The issue could be that the owners are based in the US and they have not seen the effect it has had on UK guests not being able to travel because the domestic market in the US is booming at the moment with so much pent up demand, US owners work a lot differently than UK owners as to moving bookings or pushing back balance due dates.

I personally have moved balance due dates back or moved bookings to new dates, but moving dates is now becoming more difficult as I have moved so many bookings in to 2022 and 2023, I will do all I can to accommodate guests that have already have a booking in place.

Fingers crossed this nightmare is over soon and we can all go back to our happy place.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

We've been very lucky with a lovely owner too (Dibber LIZH). We had a trip booked before covid and she's moved us with no problems and no loss to us. Our balance for Oct is due on the 7th but she's said to hold off until we know more. Luckily we have already booked Oct 2022 as she's getting super busy.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsFlorida
Trying for More Ears

I only wish we could say the same. We lost our deposit for July 2020 and the villa owner didn't even enter into correspondence with us when we informed them we had chosen to cancel. This week our villa balance was due for October 2021with a different owner. When we contacted the villa owner to ask if we could possibly move our booking to next year, we were quoted the terms and conditions (nonrefundable and non-transferable) and made to feel bad about making the booking 2 years ago when no one had heard of Covid-19. I was hoping for a bit more flexibility given the unprecedented circumstances however that was not the case and we have lost the deposit yet again. I was fully aware of the terms and conditions and understand that owners are running a business but was not prepared to pay the balance when we can't get into the US at present and really wanted to be able to transfer the booking. We were informed that any new booking would need another deposit. This has left us wary of rebooking although we have never had an issue in the past and have been to Florida many times and stayed in some fantastic villas.
MrsFlorida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
steve@mac155.f
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by MrsFlorida View Post
I only wish we could say the same. We lost our deposit for July 2020 and the villa owner didn't even enter into correspondence with us when we informed them we had chosen to cancel. This week our villa balance was due for October 2021with a different owner. When we contacted the villa owner to ask if we could possibly move our booking to next year, we were quoted the terms and conditions (nonrefundable and non-transferable) and made to feel bad about making the booking 2 years ago when no one had heard of Covid-19. I was hoping for a bit more flexibility given the unprecedented circumstances however that was not the case and we have lost the deposit yet again. I was fully aware of the terms and conditions and understand that owners are running a business but was not prepared to pay the balance when we can't get into the US at present and really wanted to be able to transfer the booking. We were informed that any new booking would need another deposit. This has left us wary of rebooking although we have never had an issue in the past and have been to Florida many times and stayed in some fantastic villas.
I am sorry you have had this happen again, and it is not good you were not offered a move of dates as a minimum, each owner has their own ways of doing things and I try my hardest to accommodate my guests if at all possible.

Steve
steve@mac155.f is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

I have a villa booked for next year with Airbnb, I’ve paid half of it but it is all completely refundable until a month before. I also had a villa booked this year through VRBO in Florida and was able to cancel a couple of weeks before when our flights were cancelled. If you look there are plenty of villas with full refund options, although you do have to pay more upfront…
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsFlorida
Trying for More Ears

We have now rebooked with an owner who is much more flexible due to Covid-19 in terms of refunds or transfers. Hopefully things will be much better by then and the borders have been open a while.
MrsFlorida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
trac1
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by Kram View Post
What are people doing about booking villas? Most required you to cancel within a certain time period in order to receive a refund. Obviously right up until a few days before your flight you may not be able to travel if you test positive. Seems a bit of a risk leaving it to a day or two before travelling to book a villa. Are people just looking for travel insurance to cover this?
I have had to cancel 3 villas now as it was getting to close to the time when they wouldn’t refund . Some villas are allowing extended cancellations but that’s usually 4 weeks before you travel. I know what your saying it’s a big risk to loose all your money and insurance may not cover !
trac1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by trac1 View Post
I have had to cancel 3 villas now as it was getting to close to the time when they wouldn’t refund . Some villas are allowing extended cancellations but that’s usually 4 weeks before you travel. I know what your saying it’s a big risk to loose all your money and insurance may not cover !
Again, why I have selected a 3 Bedroom Hotel appartment for next Easter. Not necessarily what I wanted most, but I can cancel 48 hours out and get a full refund.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 21, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Carol_G
Imagineer

Carol_G's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
I totally understand where you are coming from. If you get a good villa owner then they are worth their weight in gold. Ours has told us that we can move the booking, bu there is a but, our villa is so popular that there are no spaces until 2023. Thats the downside to a good villa.

At the moment we have money just sitting with many people all waiting to see if we can have our holiday. Its rubbish eh!
This is very true. We have extended payment dates an moved guests many times trying to ensure they get there and have had to refund a couple just recently as we not have no dates that suit. For example I cannot take some guests for the dates they want until 2024. I have even had two guests book off 2025 to ensure they get the month they require.

The USA market is booming right now too and since opening our doors back up we are still getting booked out very well by US travellers while we wait to welcome back our UK and Canadian guests.

OP chat with the owner of the home you wish to book, they will always encourage you to take out travel insurance, we always have even before the pandemic, but just ask your questions before booking and know where you stand if the situation arrives.
Carol_G is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List