Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jul 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile Egypt-is it safe?

I’ve booked a cheap week away for me and DH in Hurghada in January- it was an absolute bargain at under £800 AI for both of us.
We’ve had an awful few months and really need some time away just the two of us.
We’ve never been to Egypt and will be staying at the sunrise garden beach resort, we aren’t planning to do any excursions outside of the resort to be honest, we just want to relax and reconnect.
However I’ve seen on other threads here lots of posts saying it’s still very unsafe which has made me feel uneasy! Can anyone reassure me it will be okay for a relaxing week away?
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Niclb
Being a bit Goofy

Hi we have been to Hurghada the first time was at Easter 2014 and just after I booked it all kicked off again but we enjoyed it so much we returned the following Easter. We enjoyed excursions with the locals in 2015 and felt safe at all times. We have not personally been since the travel ban to Sharm el Sheikh just down to trying different places (and it got very expensive as now all adults) but know of other families who have travelled this year to Hurghada and had a fab time. Its one of the only places (apart from Florida) where we have returned on holiday. Hope this helps
Old 23 Jul 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Would I go again no, but I think that is down to not liking the people or indeed Egypt.

On saying that when we stayed at Hurghada the hotel was one of the best I have stayed in, immaculately clean, plenty of sun and shady areas with sunbeds or bean bags, private beach, no music blasting out around the pool and a good quality and choice of food.
If it could be picked up and moved to another country I wouldn't hesitate going back to the same hotel.
Old 23 Jul 18, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

What's the current foreign office advice? I love sharm but I'm afraid I wouldn't go now.
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 04:32 AM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dismadbrit View Post
Would I go again no, but I think that is down to not liking the people or indeed Egypt.

On saying that when we stayed at Hurghada the hotel was one of the best I have stayed in, immaculately clean, plenty of sun and shady areas with sunbeds or bean bags, private beach, no music blasting out around the pool and a good quality and choice of food.
If it could be picked up and moved to another country I wouldn't hesitate going back to the same hotel.
We stayed in Nabq bay or somewhere, it's near Sharm and this was my experience too and that's the only reason I wouldn't return. But someone I know of went last December with his family to Hurghada it it looked stunning and had me thinking again. The truth of the matter is nowhere is safe now. Anything can happen anywhere now. I would just get on with planning your holiday, I hope you have a lovely time
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sparkles18
Imagineer

Mobile

I have owned an apartment in Hurghada for the last 11 years and never felt unsafe there. We love it there.
My one bit of advice would be to be careful in taxis as that would be the time when you are most likely to ripped off.
I recommend ABC Taxis which are like Uber. We use them all the time and you don't get ripped off. They have an app which you can download.
We are going back out in October half term and for Christmas which we are really looking forward to and I'm sure you’ll have a great time too. If you need any help or information let me know, I'll be happy to help.
sparkles18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

I didn’t feel safe in 2005 before any of this, right grot hole, so certainly wouldn’t go now
Old 2 Aug 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post

I went in 2003 or 2004 and I enjoyed it and felt safe. I am no scaredy cat when it comes to travel and have travelled a lot, but I can see no point in taking unnecessary risks when there are so many other places to go. For me, sadly, Egypt and most other places in that region are off limits for the time being.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DiscoD6381
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Booked to go next April, had a bunch of friends and colleagues go this year and they said it was great. Probably won't do much wandering around but it's a pool/beach holiday not a site seeing one.
DiscoD6381 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 18, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

We absolutely love Egypt. Between my parents and me and my sister we’ve been 6 times.

But we wouldn’t go back I don’t even think if they reinstated flights to sharm we would go back. It’s so sad
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List