Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Aug 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Canadian Rockies Road Trip July 2018 - Day 7 - Jasper. Waterfalls, hidden lakes and canyons

When we got up today there was slight drizzle outside and it was cloudy and grey. Where we stayed had lovely comfy beds so we enjoyed lazing in them before we got ourselves up, showered and headed to breakfast. The room we stayed in had breakfast included and this was served in a separate room next to reception. It wasn't too busy when we arrived so helped ourselves to coffee and juice and went to see what was on offer. This was like a deluxe continental and there was lots of cakes, muffins and granola which where baked and made in-house so we enjoyed these over our three days, trying lots of what they had made. We also picked up a recipe leaflet so we can try to recreate these at home.

After this we got all our things together and headed into town for a look around before heading off to see some of the sights of the National Park. Today was a parks day in the town with lots of stalls, displays and crafts in the main town area which we had a wander round. The weather still wasn't great but it did start to lift a bit as we left. We also stopped in the Friends of Jasper National Park shop and picked up a piece of artwork that had been made which we knew would look great in our house. As we couldn't make lunch where we stayed I had read about a local bakery called Bear Paw Bakery which received great reviews and we headed off there to pick up supplies for lunch. It was busy which I always take as a good sign and we picked up various pastries to have as we where out and about. We also picked up some coffee and I tried something called Red Eye which definitely gave me a much needed caffeine kick. I also somehow managed to buy myself 3 cakes for lunch. Before we set off I had another look and read up on the Two Brother Totem Pole in the centre of town.

We had decided first today to visit some of the waterfalls south of the town of Jasper and where heading to the furthest one first,
Sunwapta Falls, and would steadily make our way back towards town. It was still drizzling as we drove down but we where making full use of the heated seats. We also stopped at a couple of viewpoints along the way, hoping to see Mount Edith Cavell in the distance but the clouds where too low down.

It didn't take too long to reach Sunwapta Falls and we pulled off the road and into the car park. It was a very short and easy walk to the upper falls and the first thing we noticed was the sheer volume of water heading over the upper cascade.

Whether it was the rain or not I couldn't fail to be impressed by these falls. This was another site where we didn't have to pay anything in addition to the parks pass we had bought back in Banff. The parking here was free and there was nothing to pay to enjoy the trails either. We walked over the bridge across the river and then followed the trail to see the water crashing through the gorge and out under the bridge into the river below.

Another impressive sight. We saw the signs for the lower falls which was a relatively short walk so set off through the forest to see these also. It was a downhill walk and didn't take too long before we reached these which where quieter than the upper ones.

It was definitely worth the trip down to the lower falls and we took some time for a breather before we started the walk back to the car. One thing we read about down here was some memorials to people who had lost their lives, I don't know how, but sad to see some young people who had died and these tribute from their families. The walk back although uphill was quite straightforward and bear free. Back at the car we ate our pastries and refreshed set off up to our next stop of Athabasca Falls. The car park here was much bigger than Sunwapta and there was a larger number of cars here. We headed out the car and down to the falls.

These where really impressive again. The force and power of the water stunning and there was lots of various viewpoints and places to see the falls from different angles. Again there where reminders about not climbing over the barriers and unfortunately tributes to people who had lost their lives by not taking heed of the warnings. You could then walk down one of the old water channels at the falls to explore the lower parts of the gorge.

Once back at the car I was looking to find somewhere I had read about online but had seen no signs or turnoffs on the drive up to Jasper event though it was on Google maps. No guidebooks or maps made reference to it and it was almost like it had disappeared. Determined to find it I googled the place again and realized it was just up the road where we had passed a car park with no reference to it so we set off to find the illusive Horseshoe Lake. We pulled into the car park and there the notice board told us we where then in the correct place but it almost seemed like it had stopped being advertised. The weather had also cleared up now so we set off to explore.

There was hardly anyone here expect us and another family. Once we reached the lake a couple where heading out on their canoe with their dog in toe.

The water in the lake was crystal clear and although it didn't have the colours of Louise or Moraine was really stunning due to its remoteness and that it was totally unspoiled. There where not many trails and we set off to wander around the lake and take in the beautiful scenery of this place.

This was one of the things I loved about the Rockies, you could just stumble on something off the beaten track and be blown away by the sheer beauty of the unexpected. It never failed to impress me and this place was a true hidden gem, we really felt we had found somewhere special and maybe understood why it wasn't advertised to keep it that way. After we had explored the woods and lake we set off back for Jasper as Sam had spotted somewhere for dinner he wished to try.

One of the hotels in town, The Crimson, had a new restaurant and was having a special for their opening night, all food was 50% off. As bookings couldn't be taken we went for opening to find a queue but where seated quickly and our order taken. The place was called AB and did lots of burger type food. The place did seem to suffer a little from the special offer as they where really busy. Even though our food took a little while to arrive, the staff where excellent and we enjoyed what we had. We finished off with a really good brownie dessert which we shared before we heading off to our final stop of Maligne Canyon.

We had chosen to do this today late on as we though it would be busier during the day and had a pretty full day planned tomorrow. It was a short drive being much nearer to Jasper than Maligne Lake and even though it was later there still where a few cars in the car park. There where lots of trails here of differing lengths but we chose a shorter one and headed down over the various bridges to take in the views of the gorge.

It had now started to spit with rain again so we didn't stay too long but could see that you could easily spend a few hours here with all the various hikes you could do. The canyon was certainly worth a stop and we benefited from virtually having the place to ourselves. Once we had wandered round we headed back to the car and the short drive back to our place. Our comfy beds where ready and we where all soon inside and fast asleep.

Edited at 07:29 AM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Stunning photos, makes me wish we were going to Jasper😔 but we are already talking about returning and will perhaps do Edmonton, Jasper and on to Vancouver so will definitely be reading all your report! How would you compare Jasper to Banff?
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We really liked Jasper. It felt more remote and a bit wilder than Banff, reminded us of the Scottish Highlands although the mountains seem to be on a bigger scale.

There where also a lot less people too, we still needed to prebook some things we wanted to do but there was noticeable less (and less tour buses) compared to Banff and the lakes down there.

We would definitely head to both again.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Wow! Such stunning photos.

We managed to find Horseshoe Lake, but don’t think we walked far enough round it as it certainly didn’t look like your photos!

As you know we were staying in the Crimson at Jasper - we also enjoyed their burgers one night. It was very convenient to call there to eat before we went back to our room.

One last thing - have you got two Day 6 reports? I think you’re trying to confuse me!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Wow! Such stunning photos.

We managed to find Horseshoe Lake, but don’t think we walked far enough round it as it certainly didn’t look like your photos!

As you know we were staying in the Crimson at Jasper - we also enjoyed their burgers one night. It was very convenient to call there to eat before we went back to our room.

One last thing - have you got two Day 6 reports? I think you’re trying to confuse me!
Thanks Jo, despite the weather I was really pleased with the way my photos came out today. I think the burgers there was one of Sams favourite meals.

We walked for quite a bit round Horseshoe Lake, think with the sun just coming out it made it look even better.

Thanks for the heads up , yeah it should be Day 7, I’ve sorted it now, I’m not so good on my proof reading.😳

Edited at 07:35 AM.
Old 16 Aug 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
Such beautiful photos.
Thank you, it is a stunning place to go visit.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Mobile

2 days in jasper for us
I’m clearly going to keep reading your trippys Neil!
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List