Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Oct 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

British Airways 777 seat selection.

Hi all,

We've got economy flights (x2 adults) booked with BA for our 2020 trip and have been looking at the seats and their prices... some are upwards of £94 others are as little as £25, silly money.

Is it worth booking seats in advance, or are there normally a good selection remaining when OLCI opens 24 hours before?

Also, has anyone sat in the twin seats at the back of the 777? Any benefits of these seats other than the guarantee of sitting with whoever you're flying with and not a random third person?

First time flying BA long-haul so just very curious.

Thanks,
Gav
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dodge
Proud to wear my Ears

We flew out in the two seats at the back a few years ago. As you say, you are not flying with the random third person so don't have to worry about getting up for the toilet or getting something out of the overhead racks. Would have booked them again this time, but consider them a bit too expensive now. You would definitely have to book these in advance, they go quite quickly. Have a good holiday
dodge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
[QUOTE=itsmeGAV;14137409]Hi all,

We've got economy flights (x2 adults) booked with BA for our 2020 trip and have been looking at the seats and their prices... some are upwards of £94 others are as little as £25, silly money.

Is it worth booking seats in advance, or are there normally a good selection remaining when OLCI opens 24 hours before?

Also, has anyone sat in the twin seats at the back of the 777? Any benefits of these seats other than the guarantee of sitting with whoever you're flying with and not a random third person?

Thanks,

The availability of seats when OLCI opens will vary on how busy the flight is - for example a Tuesday at the beginning of October is more likely to have more available than the Saturday of October half term.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Markpc2013
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dodge View Post
We flew out in the two seats at the back a few years ago. As you say, you are not flying with the random third person so don't have to worry about getting up for the toilet or getting something out of the overhead racks. Would have booked them again this time, but consider them a bit too expensive now. You would definitely have to book these in advance, they go quite quickly. Have a good holiday
Did you have the very back 2 seats? I’ve booked them for coming home next month and trying to find out from someone who has sat there whether or not they fully recline? Thanks
US 192 - Feb 1994; I-Drive- Feb 07; Fairfield Inn - June 10; Oakpoint Circle V - June 11; Homewood Suites - July 12; Calabay Parc V- June 14; Esprit Estates V - June 15; CBR - April 16; Hyatt Place, Drury's & Bridgewater V - Sept 16; CBR & V US27 - Apr 17; Eagle Pointe V - Nov 17; Lindfields V - Apr 18; Pop C- Nov 19; Universal & Cruise - Feb 20; Rosen Inn & PB- Nov 21; H2S I-Drive - Apr 22; SSR & HI S535 - Sept 22.
Markpc2013 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
kingofhonour
Apprentice Imagineer

kingofhonour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
Hi all,

Thanks,
Gav
Hi, we fly 3 days after you and have booked the twin seats,if you want the seats i would book as they go very quickly,i know they seem a bit expensive but we were looking at flying back premium economy and they were still charging you in P.E. to book your seats, i think the cheapest in P.E. were 48pounds per a person.
kingofhonour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by kingofhonour View Post
Hi, we fly 3 days after you and have booked the twin seats,if you want the seats i would book as they go very quickly,i know they seem a bit expensive but we were looking at flying back premium economy and they were still charging you in P.E. to book your seats, i think the cheapest in P.E. were 48pounds per a person.
We're flying PE both ways and the seats cost upwards of about £50 about. I was reading the instructions on the website and if we don't book until it opens 24 hours before flight we can book free but it says economy basic are just allocated seats. I think paying for seats having paid extra for PE is a bit of a rip off so we will just do them on the day before. The other thing is you can pay for the seats and they can still change them at will.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

I think it’s silly that BA charge for seat reservations but I always pay to ensure I get the seats I want, even when flying club world I have to pay, but in the grand scheme of things I think it’s worth it, I know what seats I like and I pay
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
kingofhonour
Apprentice Imagineer

kingofhonour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Pagan8c View Post
We're flying PE both ways and the seats cost upwards of about £50 about. I was reading the instructions on the website and if we don't book until it opens 24 hours before flight we can book free but it says economy basic are just allocated seats. I think paying for seats having paid extra for PE is a bit of a rip off so we will just do them on the day before. The other thing is you can pay for the seats and they can still change them at will.
I agree totally think its damn cheeky charging for seats in PE when youve already paid for the upgrade,we decided against it and booked economy the two seats together at the back both ways and it still worked out cheaper than PE one way.
Be careful if you definatley want to sit together as PE ON THE BOEING 777 is a layout of 2-4-2 so you could end up being split up
kingofhonour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

We sat in the row of 2 on our last trip both ways. (not the back row though so can't comment on reclining).

We really liked the row of 2. Lovely just being the 2 of us, and as it's near the back of the plane there was loads of space for us to stretch our legs at the back. Had no problems with smelly toilets or people waiting by our seats etc (I've seen people in the past say they are worried about this).

However, it is very expensive in our opinions. This time we've chosen a row of 4 in the middle of the plane. Much cheaper, and also means we'll hopefully get through Immigration quicker. (We've flown through MCO 3 times and each time it's taken ages to get through, but we did notice last time that people we saw nearer the front of the plane were through much quicker than us at the back).
May 2020 - CSR and HRH - DH 30th - Covid Cancelled!
February 2022 - Holiday Inn LBV, HRH and Pop - 21 Nights
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List