Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Feb 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Post Office Credit card cash advance

We are off to Vegas next week and totally forgot that the prepaid travel card we have is a Thomas Cook cash passport so we cannot load any money on to it. Most cards are saying 4 working days minimum to receive a card so they look to be out of the window. Went to Tesco as they do one but unfortunately due to their service being hacked they are not providing these at the moment. We have taken more cash than we normally do and will use our Post Office credit card but should we require more cash we would use this. We know it’s a 3% or £3 transaction fee but would we be best transferring sterling onto the card before we take dollars out to prevent interest or would we still be charged interest or would using a debit card just be the same?

Edited at 04:22 PM.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We went to LA in January 2016, fairly short trip, but for reasons unknown I didn’t pull my finger out and arrange currency, so we went with only a few dollars we had from previous US trips.

Everywhere took card - restaurants, quick service places, food and drinks carts/windows, car parking, shops etc., not just in the parks but everywhere we went. I imagine card use is even more prevalent now.

Don’t withdraw cash on your credit card. There’s absolutely no need.
Old 15 Feb 20, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would agree - we just use our Post Office Credit card and take a little bit of cash for tips and gas.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. We have no idea about Vegas, probably panicking a bit as Vegas seems to be very expensive which we are ok about, just the thought of not having enough ready money for tips.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

If you absolutely do need cash and have sterling to transfer wouldn’t you be better just withdrawing sterling directly from your current account ?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

Open a Starling bank account on your phone it’s free to use in the USA husband opened his Thursday morning and his debit card arrived on Saturday. It can also be connected to Apple Pay. Exchange rate is really good and you just transfer Uk £ to your starling account. Daughter and Myself have this account we used it fine in New York with no fees etc and no need to carry lots of cash.
Old 16 Feb 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
If you absolutely do need cash and have sterling to transfer wouldn’t you be better just withdrawing sterling directly from your current account ?
Yes, money isn’t an issue, wasn’t until I had written the post that I realised that I would probably just be as well using debit card should we need to.
Old 17 Feb 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Last August I had about 200 dollars in cash maximum and used my Post office credit card for absolutely everything in Vegas. So much so, I actually came back with over 100 dollars. I was out there for two weeks with myself DS 11 and DD22 so a lot of spending took place you’ll be fine.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List